Margaret (Kenneth Lonergan, 2011)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Fierias

Re: Margaret (Kenneth Lonergan, 2011)

#176 Post by Fierias » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:12 pm

R0lf wrote:I didn't make it along but The Astor theatre in Melbourne did a theatrical showing of the extended edition - which would definitely have been DCP or 35mm.
You sure about that? In New York they did a screening of the Extended Cut at the Film Society of Lincoln Center with Lonergan and cast in attendance, and it was projected from the DVD. I doubt any other venue would have access to a better print.

R0lf

#177 Post by R0lf » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:16 am

R0lf wrote:I didn't make it along but The Astor theatre in Melbourne did a theatrical showing of the extended edition - which would definitely have been DCP or 35mm.
If it was just a DVD they would not have screened it.

Roger Ryan

#178 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:34 pm

I, too, felt the DVD of the extended cut was sub-par for the format - then again, it's a long film to fit on one disc. As disappointing as this release might be, I'm please I was able to see the longer cut as it is indeed the better version.

warren oates

#179 Post by warren oates » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:41 pm

Grove Press is publishing a book version of the screenplay in the U.S. on January 7, 2014, in paperback and Kindle formats. Though I've seen the paperback out already in at least one store. There are forewords and afterwards by Lonergan, as well as a pretty long introduction by Tony Kushner. No idea how this draft may differ from any others in circulation on the Internet, though I read enough flipping through to see that Lonergan considers this a "shooting script," with some scenes that were never shot, some that were deleted or that grew into substantially different forms in both released cuts of the film.

hearthesilence

#180 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:58 pm

I just took a look at the extended cut DVD - it was the second time seeing it on my own HDTV and man, it looks really crummy. To be fair, it's on par with a typical Warner Archive DVD-R (one of the ones in need of remastering), but that's still crummy.

I was curious as to whether "remastering" the extended cut using the visuals from the HD release of the theatrical cut would by a plausible solution. (The audio for the extended cut DVD is fine, which is fortunate because it's substantially different to the theatrical mix, particularly in the choice of music.)

It would definitely improve much of the film, but it would be a lot more laborious than expected because there are a TON of differences, and this website documents pretty much all of them.

Oedipax

#181 Post by Oedipax » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:38 pm

I like the idea of making an HD version of the director's cut using as much of the 1080p source as possible and the DVD to fill in the rest of the gaps, but that site says 163 scenes feature different takes - which means even scenes that are in both cuts of the film might be different takes. My concern would be there would simply be too much bouncing back and forth between the two sources in a remastered version, and ultimately prove too distracting overall.

Might be something for the fan edit community to look into though!

hearthesilence

#182 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:30 pm

They're screening a DCP of the extended cut at Metrograph on Tuesday - anybody going? The DVD looks crummy so I'm wondering if the DCP is an better transfer. (It was shot on 35mm film so it's theoretically possible, but perhaps cost prohibitive.)

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#183 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:14 am

hearthesilence wrote:They're screening a DCP of the extended cut at Metrograph on Tuesday - anybody going? The DVD looks crummy so I'm wondering if the DCP is an better transfer. (It was shot on 35mm film so it's theoretically possible, but perhaps cost prohibitive.)
Saw the Los Angeles premiere of the director's cut years ago. It was at a museum and you would figure it would be the best projection you've ever see, but they literally played it off a DVD. Hopefully the DCP looks good.

hearthesilence

#184 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:47 am

That's disappointing. I saw the director's cut of Zodiac at BAM in 2010, it was advertised as a DCP, and it looked like it was unconverted from an HD, possibly SD source. The resolution was almost there, but jagged edges all over the place. Someone gently asked about this during the Q&A, and they were told more or less "it's digital, it was shot in digital, this is how Fincher prefers it to be screened" (i.e. they didn't quite get his question).

MichaelB

#185 Post by MichaelB » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:05 am

The 2004 semi-restoration of The Devils only exists (and has only ever existed) on SD Digibeta. It doesn't look too bad projected - Digibeta has a major advantage over DVD when it comes to compression artefacts - but it's clearly less than optimal.

J Adams

#186 Post by J Adams » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:43 pm

The long version of "Margaret" played at Walter Reade a few years ago. It looked fine, despite my dislike of digital projection of any kind. I trust the Metrograph to project a decent "print".

connor

#187 Post by connor » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:20 am

hearthesilence wrote:That's disappointing. I saw the director's cut of Zodiac at BAM in 2010, it was advertised as a DCP, and it looked like it was unconverted from an HD, possibly SD source. The resolution was almost there, but jagged edges all over the place. Someone gently asked about this during the Q&A, and they were told more or less "it's digital, it was shot in digital, this is how Fincher prefers it to be screened" (i.e. they didn't quite get his question).
Was that during the Assayas-curated series? If so, my wife and I were there and were totally shocked by how bad it looked.

hearthesilence

#188 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:20 pm

connor wrote:
hearthesilence wrote:That's disappointing. I saw the director's cut of Zodiac at BAM in 2010, it was advertised as a DCP, and it looked like it was unconverted from an HD, possibly SD source. The resolution was almost there, but jagged edges all over the place. Someone gently asked about this during the Q&A, and they were told more or less "it's digital, it was shot in digital, this is how Fincher prefers it to be screened" (i.e. they didn't quite get his question).
Was that during the Assayas-curated series? If so, my wife and I were there and were totally shocked by how bad it looked.
YES, that's the one!

DeprongMori

#189 Post by DeprongMori » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:19 pm

The BluRay of Margaret seems to have just gone OOP. Lowest price Amazon listing is $150. Has this gotten a recent restoration? Any indication who has picked it up?

hearthesilence

#190 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:50 pm

Seriously? Fox's website offered that disc for like $6 just a year or two ago.

Anyway, I hope there's a new version in the works with a new HD transfer of the extended cut.

solaris72

#191 Post by solaris72 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:43 pm

The blu-ray is back to reasonable prices at Amazon.

hearthesilence

#192 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:30 pm

Good to know. FWIW, they are showing the extended cut yet again "digitally projected" at MoMI (as well as Lonergan's other films), and he will be at select screenings.

J Adams

#193 Post by J Adams » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:01 am

The Metrograph digital screening was hideous.

hearthesilence

#194 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:09 am

Crap, well at least I can save my money and just watch my DVD copy.

Roger Ryan

#195 Post by Roger Ryan » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:45 am

J Adams wrote:The Metrograph digital screening was hideous.
I'm sorry to say that it sounds like Lonergan's preferred long cut simply doesn't exist beyond an "off-line" (?) assembly of digital files over-compressed to facilitate swifter importing/exporting. This would explain the sub-standard DVD image and a theatrical DCP that looks bad as well. A real shame.

hearthesilence

#196 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:48 pm

As long as they didn't trash the 35m camera negatives, theoretically, they could painstakingly recreate the cut and grade, and I'd be fine with using the same exact soundtrack that's currently heard on the DVD. It wouldn't be a huge expense, but then again the film grossed almost nothing (thanks to the extremely limited theatrical release/dumping it had), so getting a studio to invest in this endeavor is another thing.

solaris72

#197 Post by solaris72 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:43 pm

Just received my copy from Amazon- it's the Canadian edition. Looks like the US version might actually be OOP after all. (Canadian blu is the same release it seems, 2-disc with the DC on the DVD, just with a bilingual cover.)

willoneill

#198 Post by willoneill » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:13 pm

solaris72 wrote:Just received my copy from Amazon- it's the Canadian edition. Looks like the US version might actually be OOP after all. (Canadian blu is the same release it seems, 2-disc with the DC on the DVD, just with a bilingual cover.)
Better check the Extended Cut DVD; I believe the Canadian release mistakenly comes with the theatrical cut on the DVD, despite what the packaging says.

tarpilot

#199 Post by tarpilot » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:33 pm

Canadian with Canadian release; can confirm that my copy is as advertised. Purchased used (brick and mortar) earlier this year, so it could be from a corrected run...

JMULL222

#200 Post by JMULL222 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:00 am

I've noticed that Amazon has the Director's Cut available for streaming rental in HD—has any tried that? I assume it's just the DVD source upscaled, but it's worth trying?