Concert Films & Music Videos

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
devlinnn

#26 Post by devlinnn » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:38 pm

Anyone else here been dribbling in boogiefied delight at the recent release of Bolan's T.Rex: Born to Boogie on DVD - easily the finest example of what can be done with the genre and format. An astonishing release that Criterion I'm sure have taken notes from.

Cinesimilitude

#27 Post by Cinesimilitude » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:32 am

Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars is a good one. DA Pennebaker directed it as well.

backstreetsbackalright

#28 Post by backstreetsbackalright » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:49 pm

devlinnn wrote:Anyone else here been dribbling in boogiefied delight at the recent release of Bolan's T.Rex: Born to Boogie on DVD - easily the finest example of what can be done with the genre and format. An astonishing release that Criterion I'm sure have taken notes from.
On your advice, I loaded this into my library queue. Should have it in a few weeks. I'm looking forward to this, since T. Rex is the shiznit!

Jem

#29 Post by Jem » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:19 pm

Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars is a good one. DA Pennebaker directed it as well.
Agreed, loved this film, I think it was his last concert with "the Spiders"
and last concert as "Ziggy".

devlinnn

#30 Post by devlinnn » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:58 pm

Not to start a Bowie/Bolan war - but I've always found the Pennebaker film terribly overrated. Badly shot with terrible sound, it's a concert film that teeters on the brink of tedium, saved only by the fans introduction. I'm sure the event was the stuff of dreams (which bootlegs testify), but give me the colour, punch, power and bongos of T.R.E.X. at the height of their powers any day.

Oh, as some may know, Kraftwerk will be releasing a 2-dvd set of their last tour, due sometime soon. Time cannot run quickly enough....

backstreetsbackalright

#31 Post by backstreetsbackalright » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:44 pm

devlinnn wrote:Oh, as some may know, Kraftwerk will be releasing a 2-dvd set of their last tour, due sometime soon. Time cannot run quickly enough....
Haven't seen it myself, but I hear that the Can DVD is pretty sweet.

mikeohhh

#32 Post by mikeohhh » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:08 am

backstreetsbackalright wrote:
devlinnn wrote:Oh, as some may know, Kraftwerk will be releasing a 2-dvd set of their last tour, due sometime soon. Time cannot run quickly enough....
Haven't seen it myself, but I hear that the Can DVD is pretty sweet.
oh yes it is

King of Kong

#33 Post by King of Kong » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:55 am

For fans of 1980s music videos, this'll be a treat: http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/outofsight.html

jorencain

#34 Post by jorencain » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:18 pm

I was just in a Tower Records yesterday and came across a new Frank Zappa DVD: "The Dub Room Special." FZ made this in '82, and I'm glad that it's finally out (I had no idea it was even on it's way). The performances on it are spectacular, of course, containing the '74 band (with George Duke, Napoleon Murphy Brock, etc.), and the '82 band (w/Steve Vai, Bobby Martin, etc.). The audio is great; the video isn't so hot, but is completely watchable (it looks like it was transferred from video, albeit a fairly good source). Highly recommended to Zappa fans.

Fletch F. Fletch

#35 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:22 pm

Fans of Michel Gondry and the White Stripes should check out this link: http://www.video-c.co.uk/micrositedispl ... e=ADSLProg for their new video for "The Denial Twist" with Conan O'Brien of all people in it. Very cool how Gondry plays around with perspective on this one...

devlinnn

#36 Post by devlinnn » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:12 am

Needless to say, the Kraftwerk live DVD, Minimum-Maximum, is a thing of beauty. Visually, it's perfectly rough around the edges, with video visual tricks with the live backdrop wonderfully old-school. The audio gives the DTS option (straight to the heart, mind and soul). Those lucky enough to have seen the show live will delight in footage of what is behind the consoles. Sublime stuff from the finest pop group ever.

Galen Young

#37 Post by Galen Young » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:41 am

devlinnn wrote:Needless to say, the Kraftwerk live DVD, Minimum-Maximum, is a thing of beauty.

Got the notebook edition of this recently -- this is one hypnotic audio/visual blast of pure Kraftwerk goodness! One of a kind, worth every cent. (the image from an old Nazi-era KDF Wagen brochure showing up during Autobahn really threw me for a loop -- did they use it for the kitsch factor or, um, what...?!)

nyasa

#38 Post by nyasa » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:42 am

The three R2 Old Grey Whistle Test DVDs are all pretty decent. Some great vintage performances from the likes of John Lennon, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Tim Buckley, Tom Waits, Half Man Half Biscuit, David Bowie...the list goes on. There're also wonderfully sardonic commentaries by former presenters David Hepworth, Mark Ellen and Andy Kershaw.

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart: A Film About Wilco is a superb record of the artistic tensions within one of the world's greatest bands during the making of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

My all-time favourite music DVD is Heartworn Highways, a documentary about the alternative country music scene in the mid-70s. Great footage of a very young Steve Earle, along with Guy Clarke, Townes Van Zandt, John Hiatt, and one of the best kept secrets in American music, Larry Jon Wilson.

Fletch F. Fletch

#39 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:50 pm

Check this out, I stumbled across Public Image Ltd.'s infamous appearance on American Band Stand. Pretty funny stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/w/%5BPublic-Imag ... ic%20Image

ben d banana

#40 Post by ben d banana » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:45 pm

Thanks Fletch! That link didn't work for me but this one did. I saw Clark whinging about that within the last 10 years. Apparently they also used the dressing room as a toilet.

Fletch F. Fletch

#41 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:00 am

ben d banana wrote:Thanks Fletch! That link didn't work for me but this one did. I saw Clark whinging about that within the last 10 years. Apparently they also used the dressing room as a toilet.
Heh! That Johnny Lyndon...

That site's pretty cool. They also have Crispin Glover's acid-induced appearance on Letterman in the '80s.

Faux Hulot
Jack Of All Tirades

#42 Post by Faux Hulot » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:21 pm

Fletch F. Fletch wrote:They also have Crispin Glover's acid-induced appearance on Letterman in the '80s.
Also available here. Though for what it's worth, I've read that Glover now contends that he was just playing the character he also portrays in Trent Harris' Beaver Trilogy.

Fletch F. Fletch

#43 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:16 am

Faux Hulot wrote:
Fletch F. Fletch wrote:They also have Crispin Glover's acid-induced appearance on Letterman in the '80s.
Also available here. Though for what it's worth, I've read that Glover now contends that he was just playing the character he also portrays in Trent Harris' Beaver Trilogy.
Hrm. I always thought he was playing his character from Reuben and Ed. But maybe you're right.

Fletch F. Fletch

#44 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:35 pm

Harmony Korine's music video for Cat Power's "Living Proof" is on-line:
http://videos.antville.org/stories/1318248/

Gregory

#45 Post by Gregory » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:00 pm

I just wanted to issue a warning against blind-buying Faust's Impressions DVD. The music on the disc is a treat, and it includes a few previously unreleased recordings, but the videos that Diermaier put together to accompany the music are just hideous. I don't mean to be harsh, but honestly the name of the game seemed to be to dress up a bunch of dull video footage (not of the band) with as many gimmicks and effects as possible. The amount of ugly filters, layering, and wipes made these almost unwatchable for me, though I did endure it all the way through one time. In the future I'll play the DVD on my computer with the picture off. The unreleased tracks and the "I Spin" solo project CD from Zappi-W-Diermaier that's included makes the package a worthwhile purchase for Faust devotees, but I still found this a disappointment.

Fletch F. Fletch

#46 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:46 pm

Jim Jarmusch's video for Jack White's new band, The Raconteurs is online, here: http://stream.qtv.apple.com/qtv/v2music ... rs_ref.mov

Fletch F. Fletch

#47 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:49 pm

Here's a link to a blog dedicated to music videos. They have a ton of links to downloadable version of these vids...

http://www.videoteque.org/

Dear Catastrophe Totoro

#48 Post by Dear Catastrophe Totoro » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:39 pm

I second the Brian Wilson's Smile, T-Rex, Wilco, and Radiohead (Meeting People is Easy) mentions. No Direction Home, anyone?

This is my favorite music video by a group called The Avalanches. The song's called Frontier Psychiatrist. Note the Lawrence of Arabia sample at the beginning.

http://theonenetwork.com/playvideo.asp? ... ychiatrist

Andre Jurieu

#49 Post by Andre Jurieu » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:22 am

Dear Catastrophe Totoro wrote: ... by a group called The Avalanches.
Too bad they'll never put out another album. It would probably cost them way too much to create today.

rs98762001

#50 Post by rs98762001 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:09 pm

Not sure if anyone has linked this yet, but below is Jonathan Glazer's film for Massive Attack's beautiful LIVE WITH ME (featuring the great Terry Callier on vocals). It's Glazer's first video for 6 years, and is pretty wrenching stuff.

http://www.virgin.net/music/musicvideos ... me_hi.html