Hollywood Pre-Code Films

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Murdoch

Re: Hollywood Pre-Code Films

#51 Post by Murdoch » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:07 pm

Heroes for Sale is a fantastic portrait of the era and pretty brutal at times. I'm blinded by my love of Wellman and young Stanwyck but still, keep 'em! To use that argument that's often tossed about here: these may be the only legitimate physical (pressed) releases these films ever see.

L.A.

#52 Post by L.A. » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:06 pm

Which volumes of the Forbidden Hollywood are DVD-Rs, or am I mistaking this for another series perhaps?

Murdoch

#53 Post by Murdoch » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:09 pm

I think from Vol. 4 onward the releases would have a limited pressed run and then revert to DVDR.

L.A.

#54 Post by L.A. » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:01 pm

^ Thanks for that.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#55 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:02 pm

And if you order any of the volumes from four on from Amazon, your copy will be burned since Amazon fulfills their own copies of all Archive titles

L.A.

#56 Post by L.A. » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:07 pm

^ Thank you as well. Guess volumes 1-3 to go then, not a fan of DVD-Rs.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#57 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:08 pm

The latest volume (nine) just came out, you'd almost surely get a pressed copy if ordering from DeepDiscount or Warners direct

Ashirg

#58 Post by Ashirg » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:46 am

I ordered both volumes 8 and 9 recently from Deep Discount and both were pressed.

kekid

#59 Post by kekid » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:35 pm

Ashirg wrote:I ordered both volumes 8 and 9 recently from Deep Discount and both were pressed.
How can we tell if a DVD is pressed?
(If this has already been asked, please forgive me, and point to a proper link.)

knives

#60 Post by knives » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:40 pm

Look at the bottom where the disc is read. If it is blue it is not pressed.

ianthemovie

#61 Post by ianthemovie » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:12 am

I was able to find Volume 1 at my university library, so I watched Waterloo Bridge without having to break the shrink-wrap on my copy. I enjoyed it quite a bit, especially the relationship between Mae Clarke and her mother's boyfriend (whose response when she learns that Clarke is a prostitute is surprisingly, and touchingly, forgiving). This seemed to me one of the most daring decisions in the film and a good example of how pre-Code films are not always just about being "naughty."

Anyway, I'm glad I checked it out but I'll probably still end up selling these sets. Like I said, my collection is badly in need of paring down and interesting as these films are I can't really afford to keep anything that's not absolutely essential.

Raymond Marble

#62 Post by Raymond Marble » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:16 pm

ianthemovie wrote:I was able to find Volume 1 at my university library, so I watched Waterloo Bridge without having to break the shrink-wrap on my copy. I enjoyed it quite a bit, especially the relationship between Mae Clarke and her mother's boyfriend (whose response when she learns that Clarke is a prostitute is surprisingly, and touchingly, forgiving). This seemed to me one of the most daring decisions in the film and a good example of how pre-Code films are not always just about being "naughty."

Anyway, I'm glad I checked it out but I'll probably still end up selling these sets. Like I said, my collection is badly in need of paring down and interesting as these films are I can't really afford to keep anything that's not absolutely essential.
So then why did you choose to watch only one film in that first set? Nearly everyone here has been praising Baby Face, and rightly so--it's one of my very favorite films of the era.

And since it seems like you'd already made up your mind on the matter, why did you go to the trouble of asking on a forum if you should sell this set? It's not like a single person here told you to sell it, and the one movie you watched from it you liked.

L.A.

#63 Post by L.A. » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:25 pm

domino harvey wrote:Night Flight (1933) (Warners, pressed)
This is a really nice thread, and while reading the earlier posts I remembered that I had this but still haven't watched it. Now that has been corrected.

Really enjoyed this. Really nice aviation shooting, especially
SpoilerShow
the plane flying in the canyons under heavy fog
was quite exciting. Great cast too.

I also liked the short documentary Swing High (1932) about the trapeze artists The Codonas. The circus acts filmed from different angles and one in slow motion were spectatular. A nice 8-minute cartoon When the Cat's Away (1935) is also included.

I understand this remained unseen for many decades. Fortunately this didn't get dumped in the MOD-line but Warner gave it a proper release instead. Great disc.
Last edited by L.A. on Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ianthemovie

#64 Post by ianthemovie » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:51 pm

Raymond Marble wrote:So then why did you choose to watch only one film in that first set? Nearly everyone here has been praising Baby Face, and rightly so--it's one of my very favorite films of the era.

And since it seems like you'd already made up your mind on the matter, why did you go to the trouble of asking on a forum if you should sell this set? It's not like a single person here told you to sell it, and the one movie you watched from it you liked.
I asked because I knew others here would know more about these films than I do, and I'm grateful to everyone for weighing in. I was totally willing to keep the set if I had been bowled over by Waterloo Bridge, which everyone here seemed to praise effusively but as I said I wasn't blown away by it. Had I world enough and time I would have liked to check out Baby Face too.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#65 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:55 pm

Just watched the 1933 pre-code the Little Giant, a frustrating comedy that squanders a great idea-- Chicago bootlegger tries to go legit in society after Roosevelt's election and ends up taking a "from the streets" revenge on the hoity toities and enacts vengeance on crooked bankers-- by barely exploring the comic or social commentary possibilities. But I was legit surprised to hear Edward G Robinson refer to his upperclass targets as "fags with handkerchiefs up their sleeves." I don't recall ever hearing "fag" used in this manner in any film from this period-- is this one of the first films to use it? Certainly it would be one of the last Hollywood films to do so for a while!

Werewolf by Night

#66 Post by Werewolf by Night » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:57 am

I've done research on portrayals of male homosexuality in pre-code films, and that's a new one to me. "Pansy" or "cream puff" were used, but not commonly.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#67 Post by domino harvey » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:12 am

Searching Screened Out on Google Books, it appears to be the only instance from the period documented by the author, though apparently Blood Money, made the same year, had a line using the word that was cut from the final film

ericm

#68 Post by ericm » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:38 am

How many of these are considered lost?

Gregory

#69 Post by Gregory » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:37 pm

One of the most famous/notorious ones is Convention City. Joan Blondell remembered it as "the raunchiest there has ever been" and would sometimes screen it for her guests. Surprising that it would be completely lost, as there were hundreds of prints made, and it was hardly some obscure B picture. If one ever did turn up, it'd likely be fairly heavily censored.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#70 Post by domino harvey » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:59 pm

The board will be discussing and tabulating Pre-Code Films for a Mini-List Project through December 13th. You do not need to participate in the discussion in order to submit a list, but I do encourage you to weigh in on any and all eligible films via the linked thread, though!

L.A.

#71 Post by L.A. » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:44 am

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#72 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:27 am

Due to my massive back catalog of physical media and digital files, I haven’t done any virtual cinema stuff since COVID-19 became a reality, but I’ll be trying it for the next time next Thursday as UCLA Film and Television Archive will be playing one of their recent Poverty Row restorations, False Faces. And it’s free!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#73 Post by domino harvey » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:53 pm

For those with Max, the TCM section is hosting a restored version of I Cover the Waterfront for some reason, and it’s a real pre-code hoot. From the lead putting Claudette Colbert in a quasi-BDSM torture device and stealing kisses from her to the highly sympathetic treatment of a mass murderer of “chinks” (and get used to hearing that slur, and others), this is a pip so far out of step with today’s mores that I can’t imagine what exec snuck it into the streaming programming, but you def get a lot of “pre code” bang for your buck out of it

DeprongMori

#74 Post by DeprongMori » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:53 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:53 pm
For those with Max, the TCM section is hosting a restored version of I Cover the Waterfront for some reason, and it’s a real pre-code hoot. From the lead putting Claudette Colbert in a quasi-BDSM torture device and stealing kisses from her to the highly sympathetic treatment of a mass murderer of “chinks” (and get used to hearing that slur, and others), this is a pip so far out of step with today’s mores that I can’t imagine what exec snuck it into the streaming programming, but you def get a lot of “pre code” bang for your buck out of it
I watched a lot of unrestored PD films on my iPad during a recent international trip, and I Cover the Waterfront was one of them. Yeah, that was really something else.