Great Japanese Actresses of the 70s and 80s

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue May 30, 2006 2:44 pm

kieslowski_67 wrote:Mitsuko Baisho was wonderful in Kumashiro's "love letter" (1985) and lots of Imamura features. Her sister, Chieko Baisho, used to be my favorite Japanese actress for a brief period of time (late 70s) thanks to her strong work in Yamada films. Sayuri Yoshinaga is gaining lots of respect from me recently. She has had a wonderful and long lasting career that rivals that of Tanaka's. That's really saying something about the talent of this exceptional actress.
Great actresses of the 50s and 60s got discussed in the Naruse thread -- but there was a new crop of great ones right at the end of the 60s. Since Naruse couldn't make any 70s films, I figure a new thread might be warranted.

kieslowski_67

#2 Post by kieslowski_67 » Tue May 30, 2006 6:05 pm

I will begin with:

Sayuri Yoshinaga: She has pretty much been the first lady of the Japanese cinema in the last 3 decades.

Keiko Matsuzaka: Kinji Fukasaku's leading lady in the 80s. 3 wins and 9 nominations from the Japanese Academy made her unquestionably the actress of the 80s. My personal favorite Japanese actress behind Hara and Tanaka.

Chieko Baisho: She is well respected in the Japanese film industry. Yôji Yamada made her a star. Nobody played the plain housewife role better than her in the 70s.

Mitsuko Baisho: Imamura regular. Her best role was in "Koibumi" (1985).

Komaki Kurihara: Made immortal in Kumai's masterpiece "Shinobugawa" and "Sandakan No. 8". Was a delight in Satsuo Yamamoto's "men and war". Masanobu Deme's "Shinobu-ito" (1973) made her a household name in China.

Shinobu Ootake: Made a name for herself in Yamada's "yellow hankerchief". A wonderful character actress in the late 70s and early 80s.

Shima Iwashita: She was great in the 60s since starring in Ozu's last feature "Sanma no aji". Her career peaked with the release of "double suicide" (1969) and Masahiro Shinoda's marvelous "Hanre Goze Orin" (1977).

Momoe Yamaguchi: More of a legendary icon than an actress. She was the "it" girl in Japan from the mid 70s to early 80s.

Yûko Tanaka: Made immortal by the hugely popular TV series "Oshin".

Hiroko Yakushimaru: "Yasei no shômei" (1978) made her a household name when she was only 14. Became a serious actress with "W no higeki" (1984).

Yoshiko Mita: A wonderful character actress. her career peaked in the 80s when she was over 40.