Coronavirus' Effect on the Entertainment Industry

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Coronavirus' Effect on the Entertainment Industry

#1 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:38 pm

The new Fast and the Furious film was moved back 11 months to April of 2021 due to the Coronavirus

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: The Films of 2020

#2 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:29 pm

More like Slow and Furious amirite guys hahaha-ha-cough-cough-cough-cou

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3 Post by swo17 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:28 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:38 pm
The new Fast and the Furious film was moved back 11 months to April of 2021 due to the Coronavirus
Right in the middle of next year's flu season. Smart.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#4 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:09 pm

Apparently every wide release between now and April 10th has now been postponed; how long do we think it’s been since America went a full month without a film debuting on 1,000+ screens?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:12 pm

I was reading elsewhere that movie theatres are traditionally some of the last places to ever close down in emergencies, so they may go down fighting even with the same old movies showing

hearthesilence

#6 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:04 pm

It's crazy how this is hitting the entertainment industry hard, and I'm talking the lower echelons of it where people can't go too long without work. A friend of mine works for a management company and he says they now have 50 clients (presumably actors) out of work. Meanwhile some indie musicians here are asking people to consider purchasing their wares online because with their upcoming gigs now cancelled or postponed, it's going to be lean times for them. None of this is unique to these industries - a lot of people are losing their jobs or substantial pay from shutdowns.

Grand Wazoo

#7 Post by Grand Wazoo » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:55 pm

I'm strictly freelance and work in a mix of narrative, doc, and commercial/corporate projects and literally all of my shoots have been cancelled for the foreseeable future. The same thing has happened to numerous friends, all in different departments and none of us can really know when it'll pick up again, especially given the lead time necessary to jump start these kinds of things. I'm fortunate to be an editor too and can do that work from home, but that well will gradually dry up too without the shoots occurring. It's a bizarre time for people in this industry.

therewillbeblus

Re: Coronovirus' Effect on the Entertainment Industry

#8 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:45 pm

I guess we can stop guessing on if PTA’s film is coming in 2020

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#9 Post by soundchaser » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:50 pm

A friend of mine was supposed to be an extra in the new Paul Schrader movie today...wonder if that actually wound up happening.

therewillbeblus

#10 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:59 pm

He’s been posting tons of photos on his Facebook page and updates on the shoot for a while so it’ll probably be easy to find out

MichaelB

#11 Post by MichaelB » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:17 am

I’m hosting a Q&A in London next week, but I’ll be astonished if it actually goes ahead, since my guests are notionally flying in from Poland, a country that currently has 10% of the coronavirus cases that we have.

But it hasn’t been formally cancelled yet and they may well have a Skype-based alternative up their sleeve, so I’m just awaiting instructions.

Aunt Peg

#12 Post by Aunt Peg » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:19 am

I've been attending the annual French Film Festival in Sydney which has been running for over 30 years. Attendances have never been so dire. My partner and I saw Sibyl last night and there was only one other person in the cinema. That has never happened at the festival ever. Over the years I've attended sessions with about a dozen people but nothing like this year, everything has a sparse audience at best.

I suspect the festival will make it another week or two (it due to finish in April) at most.

People are clearly justifiably spooked even though most cases of coronavirus in Australia has been 'imported' by Australians returning from overseas or people with intimate contact with them. There are a limited number of cases that may be 'community' related in that they have had no known contact with anybody that has returned from overseas or been overseas but that will change in the coming weeks.

All public gatherings of over 500 people will be banned from Monday. Cinemas will remain open but attendance is down 50% and will continue to slide.

Aunt Peg

#13 Post by Aunt Peg » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:21 am

Also, numerous films have had their releases pushed back. Aside from 007, one can add Peter Rabbit 2, Mulan & A Quiet Place 2.

britcom68

#14 Post by britcom68 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:31 am

Here in Columbus the Wexner Center has either cancelled outright or postponed all events through the end of March, including the upcoming showing of Grand Budapest Hotel and its Q and A afterwards. Sigh. (no official word yet on how they are planning to refund my tickets.)

Dr Amicus

#15 Post by Dr Amicus » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:37 am

And also New Mutants (now two years late!), Antlers and The Lovebirds.

Our local cinema is remaining open but is now operating a social distancing policy in its seat selling. Also, my quiz night next week to raise money for the scouts has been postponed, and the local film club has cancelled its next two screenings.

We have one case on the island at the moment.

colinr0380

#16 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:16 am

I'm rather curious as to what effect this will have on Disney if the themeparks are shut and nobody can go out to see the movies. I guess Disney+ came along at just the right time!

The Curious Sofa

#17 Post by The Curious Sofa » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:33 am

colinr0380 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:16 am
I'm rather curious as to what effect this will have on Disney if the themeparks are shut and nobody can go out to see the movies. I guess Disney+ came along at just the right time!
A huge corporation like Disney can weather a month or two, it's smaller business and venues I'm worried about. One of my favourite music venues has just been ordered to close by the local government. They have posted on facebook that if they'll have to close for longer than a month, then they probably won't survive. I'm really worried about what this will do to the cultural life of my city.

hearthesilence

#18 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:33 am

Film Forum, Anthology Film Archives and Film at Lincoln Center announced closures, but Quad Cinema says they will remain open. FWIW, I have friends back in Illinois who tell me suburban libraries are closing in places where there are no reported cases (though again, there's almost no community testing going on in the U.S. which is outrageous).

Glowingwabbit

#19 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:46 am

Several libraries in my system in MA are closing for various lengths of time for precautionary measures. Actually mine is closed for the next two weeks as a result of other Town buildings closing. I've actually been on vacation this past week so this lines up quite nicely. At least until cabin fever sets in.

fiddlesticks

#20 Post by fiddlesticks » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:42 pm

britcom68 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:31 am
(no official word yet on how they are planning to refund my tickets.)
The Las Cruces Symphony Orchestra has canceled its upcoming subscription concert. In the press release announcing and apologizing for this, they mention that they'd be happy to issue receipts to ticket holders reflecting their donation of the value of their tickets; nowhere in the announcement is the word "refund" used.

For small local arts organizations such as the LCSO, all of these cancellations can be financially disastrous. I don't know that they are actually denying refund requests so much as not promoting them, but if you are in a circumstance like this, please consider donating your ticket to the organization. Thanks.

captveg

#21 Post by captveg » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:18 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:04 pm
It's crazy how this is hitting the entertainment industry hard, and I'm talking the lower echelons of it where people can't go too long without work. A friend of mine works for a management company and he says they now have 50 clients (presumably actors) out of work. Meanwhile some indie musicians here are asking people to consider purchasing their wares online because with their upcoming gigs now cancelled or postponed, it's going to be lean times for them. None of this is unique to these industries - a lot of people are losing their jobs or substantial pay from shutdowns.
Probably the only entertainment industries that will see a bump up in the next few weeks are the home video/streaming divisions, and video games. People sitting at home with no tv sports or live entertainment events, movie theaters, etc. will need something to do.

dwk

#22 Post by dwk » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:24 pm

Someone at the Blu-ray.com forum posted that they got an email from Criterion saying that replacement packaging is on hold as most of their staff is working from home.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#23 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:37 pm

dwk wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:24 pm
Someone at the Blu-ray.com forum posted that they got an email from Criterion saying that replacement packaging is on hold as most of their staff is working from home.
Given the limited ability to fly people over for interviews (internationally but also even interstate), we should prob start preparing now for a slowdown from all boutique labels reliant on extras of this nature

knives

#24 Post by knives » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:40 pm

Yeah, even something simple like a PD at my work was cancelled because they had trouble flying in people from NY.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#25 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:43 pm

I don’t know if it’s happening nationally but I know state workers here aren’t even allowed to travel more than 70 miles without following the trip with a mandatory 14 day self-quarantine unpaid (ie no one’s actually gonna go anywhere)