Streaming Services

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
ando
Bringing Out El Duende

Re: Streaming Services

#276 Post by ando » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:29 am

tubi's been a great option for me lately; the free classics, mostly (no ads w/my blocker). Midnight Cowboy tonight. Nice doc.

knives

#277 Post by knives » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:55 am

It is really great. Been an excellent source for my Corman watches.

FrauBlucher

#278 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:50 pm

Glowingwabbit

#279 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:06 am

FrauBlucher wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:50 pm
It's official...Amazon-MGM merger
Not great news for physical media.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#280 Post by cdnchris » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:56 am

I'm of the hope since they're licensing titles to Criterion they see the benefit of the practice. I'm sure they have to honor previous agreements and if they can get some money from it, or see money in it, they may well continue.

That's my hope at least.

Glowingwabbit

#281 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:24 pm

cdnchris wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:56 am
I'm of the hope since they're licensing titles to Criterion they see the benefit of the practice. I'm sure they have to honor previous agreements and if they can get some money from it, or see money in it, they may well continue.

That's my hope at least.
Yeah one can hope but currently we've gotten only 3 titles, only from Criterion, and all of those have been newer releases if I'm not mistaken.

Also from my understanding MGM has been one of the easiest studios to work with.

FrauBlucher

#282 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:58 pm

Right, but the three titles you’re talking about are Amazon Studio productions. That has nothing to do with MGM, but it’s a sign that Amazon’s relationship with Criterion is a good one. I don’t see why Amazon wouldn’t continue to deal with Criterion. Maybe the Kino deals are the ones jeopardy.

MongooseCmr

#283 Post by MongooseCmr » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:02 pm

The Prime app is so ugly and unintuitive that I forget I even have it. I’m not sure that even this would bring me to use it for more than very specific titles.

Glowingwabbit

#284 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:52 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:58 pm
Right, but the three titles you’re talking about are Amazon Studio productions. That has nothing to do with MGM, but it’s a sign that Amazon’s relationship with Criterion is a good one. I don’t see why Amazon wouldn’t continue to deal with Criterion. Maybe the Kino deals are the ones jeopardy.
I don't really care about the Criterion relationship (I'm not buying any of these or the Netflix ones so far). I'm worried about the MGM titles. Given there release schedule it would still be a big loss if they were the only ones dealing with Amazon.

TMDaines

#285 Post by TMDaines » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:25 am

perkypat wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:56 am
Klassiki Online is free to everyone until 4 April. After that, for £5.99/month you get the full selection, plus a new film each week(Pick of the Week), though some of the permanent collection remains free. I assume they will add films to the paid service as time goes on. Looks like a pretty decent selection.
I noticed that Klassiki have a few Muratova films available and apparently in HD! Does anyone have a subscription to confirm their HD-listed films are just that?

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#286 Post by ando » Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:26 am

Glad Peacocktv's extended its Hitchcock run. I like this grouping in particular.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#287 Post by ando » Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:51 pm

National Jazz Appreciation Month. Checking out various films across the web. A few recommended picks: Jazz On A Summer's Day on Criterion, Ken Burns' Jazz (among other notable selections) on Hoopla (decent kanopy alternative for public library card holders) and a handful of free jazz docs on PLEX, including The Jazz Loft According to W. Eugene Smith (2015).

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#288 Post by ando » Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:29 pm

Eight and a half days left to watch several good ones leaving The Criterion Channel.

Reifferschizzle

#289 Post by Reifferschizzle » Mon May 02, 2022 5:43 am

thirtyframesasecond wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:06 pm
Netflix UK has just had loads of Swedish films added - including some Victor Sjostrom and Mauritz Stiller's 'Sir Arne's Treasure'!
Have seen almost no chat about this in cinephile circles, really interested in what kind of deal went down between the Swedish Film Institute and Netflix. Dozens of Swedish classics available throughout Europe, from the silent era to stuff from the 1980's! It's pretty surreal that the only pre-1960 content on Netflix right now is a bunch of Swedish films.

They also have the works of Youssef Chahine and some old Belgian films (though to my knowledge a spottier selection than the Swedish stuff).

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#290 Post by ando » Tue May 03, 2022 3:22 pm

Reifferschizzle wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 5:43 am
It's pretty surreal that the only pre-1960 content on Netflix right now is a bunch of Swedish films.
I might have said that 15 years ago but Netflix has long converted the cineaste shop.

Leaving The Criterion Channel on May 31st.

Reifferschizzle

#291 Post by Reifferschizzle » Wed May 04, 2022 3:48 am

Well, this from a UK perspective - those movies are literally the only pre-1960 content on Netflix UK.

thirtyframesasecond

#292 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Wed May 04, 2022 5:28 am

Netflix UK has the series on Pioneers: First Women Filmmakers, which I think is the set of films Kino Lorber released. These are mostly from the 1910s and has films by Alice Guy-Blanche and others. But that's about it. It might've had the series on African-American filmmakers but seems to have gone if it was there.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#293 Post by ando » Sat May 14, 2022 3:23 pm

Not very impressed with The First Lady, currently on Showtime, but the costumes and set designs stand out and Michelle Phiffer's performance as Betty Ford (imo) is effective. She was also given the best material in a generally unremarkably written series. See it for her. Other Showtime May selections of interest are the new Man Who Fell To Earth series, I Love That For You, all 3 seasons of Penny Dreadful and The Green Knight (2021 film). If they beefed up the number of monthly classic film features it might be worth the 10 bucks a month but I'm not sure I'll extend past the trial at this point.

unclehulot

#294 Post by unclehulot » Sun May 15, 2022 11:17 pm

Both the criterion channel and Arrow’s streaming service (which share the Vimeo platform) are having problems tonight. The recently played lists are missing in action. Criterion’s had been visible before tonight but has not been working correctly since the beginning of the month… This is the second extended period that this has been the case. What an amateur hour this Vimeo thing is. I can’t speak for computer setups but on the fire TV stick and Apple TV platforms this is the case. Arrow briefly had the problem of recently played titles not being added to that recently played list but fixed it… Criterion channel doesn’t seem to have a clue and it’s been a mess for a long time.

Matt

#295 Post by Matt » Tue May 17, 2022 1:15 am

I’m perplexed why Criterion Channel continues to have problems like this. I don’t think they’ve added any new features or functionality since it launched, yet the app keeps getting updated with new bugs introduced. I don’t want to appear ungrateful—I’m happy the service exists at all—but (after 3 years) at minimum I’d like to be able to browse by country or language or sort my watch list by running time.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#296 Post by ando » Tue May 17, 2022 12:42 pm

Sorry to hear about the Criterion bugs - I haven't had a single issue with the channel since I updated my drivers. It's really been my default streaming option (though tubi is a close second, lately). Seems to be a location issue for most with problems.

dekadetia
was Born Innocent

#297 Post by dekadetia » Tue May 17, 2022 1:13 pm

Not to pile on to Criterion, but I watched The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp on the Channel earlier this month and found the subtitles so littered with OCR errors as to be practically unusable. To their credit, they had it fixed about a week later, but it was surprising to realize that they are literally over there ripping subs from the bluray's PNG images back to SRT/VTT. So if you see something like this, let them know, they'll amend!

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#298 Post by ando » Wed May 18, 2022 9:47 pm

468 film titles loaded on Showtime yesterday. And in the middle of the month, too. Odd. The Andromeda Strain is first in the queue.

dekadetia
was Born Innocent

#299 Post by dekadetia » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:11 am

This may not be news, but Kino Lorber's YouTube account has been posting feature films on an almost daily basis, including Blue, Adieu au Langage, Filmworker and Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth, among others.

Computer Raheem

#300 Post by Computer Raheem » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:27 am

dekadetia wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:11 am
This may not be news, but Kino Lorber's YouTube account has been posting feature films on an almost daily basis, including Blue, Adieu au Langage, Filmworker and Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth, among others.
Before I add almost all of these to my watchlist, is Goodbye to Language still worth watching even without the 3D? Given what I know about how it utilizes the format, I feel like I'd be missing out on something if I first watched it on YouTube in 2D.