Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi, 2019)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Message
Author
User avatar
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi, 2019)

#26 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:27 pm

Nadine Labaki and David Cronenberg would like a word

Apperson
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:47 pm
Location: Oxfordshire, UK

Re: Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi, 2019)

#27 Post by Apperson » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:32 pm

I mean, TIFF have literally altered the process to make sure potential recent winner are Oscar nominees.

On the other hand, people saying that Parasite can't be nominated because it only 2/3 placers can be nominated are the real pedantic weirdos.

User avatar
Cremildo
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:19 pm
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Re: Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi, 2019)

#28 Post by Cremildo » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:57 pm

In the last decade, with only one exception (the Labaki movie), every TIFF audience award winner went on to be at least nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars. As Jojo Rabbit isn't a low-key foreign-language film, I'd say there's little reason to think the "stats" will be broken.

User avatar
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi, 2019)

#29 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:41 pm

This movie is not getting nominated for Best Picture

Apperson
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:47 pm
Location: Oxfordshire, UK

Re: Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi, 2019)

#30 Post by Apperson » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:47 pm

Let it be known I was going do find you saying Malek wouldn't get nominated last year before realizing it was domino who said that and you actually said:
mfunk9786 on Oct 08 2018 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:51 pm
Just going to put my flag in the ground and say I think Malek is definitely nominated for this.
So you're in the clear for now...

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi, 2019)

#31 Post by domino harvey » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:51 pm

I still owe him a dollar over that

User avatar
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi, 2019)

#32 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:35 pm

Imagining Oprah Winfrey saying "A young boy. His camping troupe. And a little man named... Hitler?! This... is Jojo Rabbit." and the projector screen lowering from the rafters as the lights dim

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi, 2019)

#33 Post by domino harvey » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:36 pm

I hope you’re right and this film’s Oscar chances are also imaginary, because I don’t want to have to see this (my catchphrase every year)

User avatar
Big Ben
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:54 pm
Location: Great Falls, Montana

Re: Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi, 2019)

#34 Post by Big Ben » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:37 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:35 pm
Imagining Oprah Winfrey saying "A young boy. His camping troupe. And a little man named... Hitler?! This... is Jojo Rabbit." and the projector screen lowering from the rafters as the lights dim
And then announcing that everyone in the audience will be receiving a Jojo Rabbit themed gift bag that's already underneath all their seats.

User avatar
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi, 2019)

#35 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:41 pm

This theater full of drooling clods thinks they're seeing this year's #1 grossing film, Jojo Rabbit. They have no idea that this is about to be a 10 minute cell phone ad featuring celebrities who'd usually pull 7 figures in Japan to be involved in such a thing

User avatar
Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:22 am

Re: Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi, 2019)

#36 Post by Never Cursed » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:50 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:36 pm
I hope you’re right and this film’s Oscar chances are also imaginary, because I don’t want to have to see this (my catchphrase every year)
You say that about this now, but wait till Avengers: Endgame is nominated for Picture and you have to sit through half the MCU just for the events of that film to make any sense

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi, 2019)

#37 Post by domino harvey » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:13 pm

Thank God Joker exists to funnel any votes that might be tempted to pledge towards such a thing

User avatar
swo17
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT

Re: Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi, 2019)

#38 Post by swo17 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:35 pm

Naw, you're going to have to watch all three

Nasir007
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 11:58 am

Re: Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi, 2019)

#39 Post by Nasir007 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:00 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:36 pm
I hope you’re right and this film’s Oscar chances are also imaginary, because I don’t want to have to see this (my catchphrase every year)
No need to watch garbage just because it is nominated for oscars. I still haven't seen Green Book or Bohemian Rhaposdy or A Star is Born among others and have zero interest to see any of them even though they won oscars.

dda1996a
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:14 am

Re: Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi, 2019)

#40 Post by dda1996a » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:01 pm

A Star is Born is neither garbage nor good, but it's definitely worth a watch. But aomeof us here are BP completists

User avatar
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi, 2019)

#41 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:09 pm

A Star is Born is borderline great and you're missing out if you don't watch it just because you feel a sense of superiority toward it

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi, 2019)

#42 Post by domino harvey » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:15 pm

Nasir007, I unfortunately have committed to seeing every film nominated for Best Pic, so yes, I do. I’m also not currently accepting opinions on this life choice

User avatar
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi, 2019)

#43 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:33 am


User avatar
thirtyframesasecond
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:48 pm

Re: Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi, 2019)

#44 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:23 pm

Wasn't The Painted Bird supposed to fiction presented as fact?

User avatar
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi, 2019)

#45 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:26 pm

Yeah, I guess I thought the jury was somewhat out on that one way or the other, but it does appear it was fictionalized. Still think the point stands, though

User avatar
Big Ben
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:54 pm
Location: Great Falls, Montana

Re: Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi, 2019)

#46 Post by Big Ben » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:51 pm

thirtyframesasecond wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:23 pm
Wasn't The Painted Bird supposed to fiction presented as fact?
I was under the impression that a great deal of Jerzy Kosiński's work and life was under scrutiny due to it quite possibly being a fabrication right down to his Holocaust experiences. Even Being There is contested as really just being a slightly reworked Polish novel that American audiences would not have been familiar with.

The backdrop to both Jojo and Bird are very serious but the depictions therein are vastly different which is where the contention is really coming from in my opinion.

User avatar
furbicide
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:52 am

Re: Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi, 2019)

#47 Post by furbicide » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:16 pm

Walkouts aren't necessarily a moral decision, though. Far more likely the viewers just couldn't stomach the content, and that's fair enough. Like many, I probably would rather see Iannucci's The Death of Stalin than an ultra-realistic recreation of the Ukrainian famine or gulags; what does that really tell us other than the fact that comedy is an easier way of processing real-life horrors and that not everybody always has the will or intestinal fortitude to stare into the abyss?

Of course, it's also possible it's just a bad film.

User avatar
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi, 2019)

#48 Post by tenia » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:25 am

Not many people are willing to accept being shown in a straightforward manner the darkest abilities of mankind to be and do absolute evil.
Part is unconscious superiority complex, part is empathy (or at least sympathy).

User avatar
knives
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:49 pm

Re: Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi, 2019)

#49 Post by knives » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:17 pm

This is without question my most anticipated film for the moment so naturally to stem the wait I've gotten to the book. I'm about halfway through Caging Skies and its really amazing. I wholly recommend it and it has me anticipating the movie even more because it seems Waititi radically changed it. The trailer seems to only cover the first third of the book so I'm not going to make any assumptions of how he adapted beyond that if at all, but some of the changes highlighted in the trailer make it stand out as an unique vision with a completely different set of themes. The tone of the novel is also fairly different playing out almost like a regular dramatic novel, with irony causing some painful laughs. It's a very down to earth book which no one could accuse the trailer of being,
SpoilerShow
The most obvious difference from a marketing standpoint at least is no imaginary Hitler. This doesn't seem that important thematically though. The most meaningful distance is age. While Johannes starts the book off at about 8 he's between 15-20 for the war period which inevitably makes his thoughts more mature and plainly villainous. He sees Elsa, the Jew under the stairs, as a sexual figure at first with his youthful impotence being pushed on her in a way you obviously can't do with the movie protagonist. Likewise his relationship with his mother is much more poisonous than the trailer suggests. Her blatant dislike for the regime causes a war at home mirroring the one outside. Additionally his father and grandmother are major characters which is still possible in the movie I suppose. A few other smaller characters also seem different in the movie. The friend in the trailer gets blown up very early in the book while the Rockwell character is far younger and is barely in it. The Wilson one seems a total fabrication. Merchant's character seems to have a bigger role in the movie, but that might just be the effect of the trailer. The scaring Johannes suffers is also much more serious in the book. He loses an arm and most of one side of his face is hamburger meat. The war actually ends about midway through the book which I'm curious how the movie will deal with that if at all.

User avatar
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi, 2019)

#50 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:21 pm

Interesting thoughts, thank you! I'll be seeing it in a couple of weeks, even though it might be my least anticipated film for the moment (har har har), so I'll be able to let the forum know how [I think] it is soon enough. Although I guess it's getting a limited release in NY/LA a day prior to my seeing it, so someone will probably beat me to it!

Post Reply