Solo (Ron Howard, 2018)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

Solo (Ron Howard, 2018)

#1 Post by lacritfan » Fri May 06, 2016 12:03 pm

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Star Wars

#2 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri May 06, 2016 12:11 pm

He was absolutely the best thing about Hail, Caesar! against all odds, so I'm looking forward to seeing him in more stuff.

Professor Wagstaff

#3 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Fri May 06, 2016 12:23 pm

Ditto. He had great comic timing, which puts him in good company with Lord & Miller at the helm. He's also the male lead in Warren Beatty's Howard Hughes movie.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#4 Post by swo17 » Fri May 06, 2016 1:25 pm

All of these actors are auditioning for Coen brothers movies just to be springboarded into the Star Wars universe.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Star Wars Franchise (1977-∞)

#5 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:05 pm

Holy shit, Phil Lord and Chris Miller have been fired with only three weeks left of the Han Solo film to shoot

bainbridgezu

#6 Post by bainbridgezu » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:23 pm

domino harvey wrote:Holy shit, Phil Lord and Chris Miller have been fired with only three weeks left of the Han Solo film to shoot
And yet Trevorrow still looms like a bland phantom.

Big Ben

#7 Post by Big Ben » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:38 pm

Tempted to make a "I wonder who shot first" joke but am generally curious as to what hell happened. Donald Glover said it was one of the best things he's ever been involved in.

I mean holy shit.

captveg

#8 Post by captveg » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:45 pm

"Creative differences" in pre-production isn't ideal, but it isn't uncommon. "Creative differences" four months into principle photography that came after over a year off pre-production before that? Unheard of. Unlike Edwards with Rogue One, Lord and Miller must have really balked at what Lucasfilm wanted them to change. Stunning.
Last edited by captveg on Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carmilla mircalla

#9 Post by carmilla mircalla » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:59 pm

bainbridgezu wrote:And yet Trevorrow still looms like a bland phantom.
I really don't think it matters who directs these movies they're all micromanaged by Disney so there may be a shot or two that seems whoever-esque but at the end of the day it's Disney's vision. Rian Johnson is great to have gotten the job for Ep VIII but it's not gonna matter we will not see his vision of what a Star Wars movie could be like. Hell they could have kept Trank for the Boba Fett movie but I guess they were afraid he'd do none of the work for them to the point where they have enough material to let him go and craft the footage out of whatever they want it to be.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#10 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:42 pm

Apparently Lord and Miller already met with DC about restarting their stalled Flash film, so the writing must have been on the wall

That was quick: Confirmation that the pair was indeed fired for pretty much being who they were hired to be and the old fogies not getting it at all. Love the line about even how they folded socks pissing off Kennedy. Sounds like a nightmare set of micromanagement

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#11 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:49 pm

captveg

#13 Post by captveg » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:50 pm

Did I travel back to 1992?

Ribs

#14 Post by Ribs » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:11 pm

On the one hand, Lawrence Kasdan hasn't really done anything good since the 80s, on the other hand, this would dramatically increase the probability of William Hurt becoming involved, so I really can't complain

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#15 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:13 pm

Word is Kennedy was/is also displeased with the performances of Ehrenreich and Clarke, they may very well be recast to add on top of this clusterfuck

The Narrator Returns

#16 Post by The Narrator Returns » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:19 pm

Kennedy watching the dailies:

carmilla mircalla

#17 Post by carmilla mircalla » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:19 pm

Ribs wrote:On the one hand, Lawrence Kasdan hasn't really done anything good since the 80s, on the other hand, this would dramatically increase the probability of William Hurt becoming involved, so I really can't complain
Well Lord/Miller must have done something awfully wrong to rub the director of Dreamcatcher the wrong way \:D/

Ribs

#18 Post by Ribs » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:20 pm

I have a very hard time believing they'll drop Ehrenreich, considering they're absolutely not going to just dump all of their footage shot thus far, especially if they're still gunning for release in 11 months.

It's weird to think this was the release slot originally taken up by Trank's film!

bearcuborg

#19 Post by bearcuborg » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:25 pm

Ribs wrote:On the one hand, Lawrence Kasdan hasn't really done anything good since the 80s, on the other hand, this would dramatically increase the probability of William Hurt becoming involved, so I really can't complain
I enjoyed the hell out of Grand Canyon, I Love You to Death and Mumford.

That said, I won't pretend to know anything beyond creative differences in this film. However- at this point, I also don't see how Kasden is not given the reigns. Unless there's a union/guild rule.

Kennedy has had one hell of a career so far, but her meddling in Rogue One didn't help. It was awful...

denti alligator

#20 Post by denti alligator » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:28 pm

bearcuborg wrote:Kennedy has had one hell of a career so far, but her meddling in Rogue One didn't help. It was awful...
What's the story here?

carmilla mircalla

#21 Post by carmilla mircalla » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:29 pm

Kasdan built a career using stale Hollywood formulas and making movies that are more accessible/bland than Spielberg besides having longevity and experience being a hack what does he know what audiences are itching to see?

Ribs

#22 Post by Ribs » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:34 pm

bearcuborg wrote:
I enjoyed the hell out of Grand Canyon, I Love You to Death and Mumford.
I recognize this isn't the thread for Kasdan auteurism but I'm surprised that Hurt was actually only in three of Kasdan's films, and if he's had anyone who's been his "muse" it's either Kevin Kline or Kevin Costner. For whatever reason I tie Kasdan inextricably with Hurt's single-decade-of-being-a-big-star, possibly because Body Heat and Accidental Tourist pretty much bookend the period with one or two other films on either end. His career is so utterly strange because of Star Wars though; remove that piece and it more-or-less makes sense, but the idea he's somehow become one of the dominant creative powers on the biggest franchise in western culture does not seem like a rational occurrence.

The idea he's a faux-Spielberg is interesting; I've always viewed Zemeckis and Howard as in a two-way duel to see who could better imitate Spielberg, and though obviously there's plenty of other people doing it now didn't ever consider there could have been people trying the same before those two.

movielocke

Star Wars Franchise (1977-∞)

#23 Post by movielocke » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:47 pm

I feel like this going to blow up like gamer gate against Kennedy. woman "steals" Star Wars ultimate dream gig from male gen Xer super nerds who are 100% within the zeitgeist of current geek culture for being too cool and awesome?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#24 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:51 pm

movielocke wrote:I feel like this going to blow up like gamer gate against Kennedy. woman "steals" Star Wars ultimate dream gig from male gen Xer super nerds who are 100% within the zeitgeist of current geek culture for being too cool and awesome?
Any backlash has nothing to do with her being a woman. Like, at all. She's a suit trying to protect the investment she's been entrusted with, and that risk-adverse approach has led to some questionable creative choices. You could change the pronouns and blame some dude who did the same thing exactly the same way, only here she did it

movielocke

#25 Post by movielocke » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:55 pm

domino harvey wrote:
movielocke wrote:I feel like this going to blow up like gamer gate against Kennedy. woman "steals" Star Wars ultimate dream gig from male gen Xer super nerds who are 100% within the zeitgeist of current geek culture for being too cool and awesome?
Any backlash has nothing to do with her being a woman. Like, at all. She's a suit trying to protect the investment she's been entrusted with, and that risk-adverse approach has led to some questionable creative choices. You could change the pronouns and blame some dude who did the same thing exactly the same way, only here she did it
absolutely right. Still think this is going to get ugly fast in a personal way it doesn't happen for male execs.