Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson, 2017)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
flyonthewall2983

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson, 2017)

#1 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:45 pm

Rian Johnson to write and direct 8 and 9.

pzadvance

Re: The Star Wars Franchise

#2 Post by pzadvance » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:35 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Rian Johnson to write and direct 8 and 9.
Wow. That's actually pretty intriguing.

Jeff

#3 Post by Jeff » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:00 pm

He's going to direct 8 and at least write a treatment for 9. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Here's The Hollywood Reporter.

Red Screamer

#4 Post by Red Screamer » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:30 pm

Jeff wrote:
He's going to direct 8 and at least write a treatment for 9. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Here's The Hollywood Reporter.
I want to see the next Rian Johnson movie. I don't want to see more Star Wars movies. Decisions, decisions.

Movie-Brat

#5 Post by Movie-Brat » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:23 pm

Didn't see that coming but hey, this dude would no doubt make the best Star Wars movie anyway.

Ribs

#6 Post by Ribs » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm

Episode VIII pushed back six months to open the same weekend of year as Force Awakens

Not surprising at all but the movie is now opening literally a week before Avatar 2.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#7 Post by swo17 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:12 pm

But it would have made that much money whenever it came out? I don't know how I'm going to explain this to my daughter.

willoneill

#8 Post by willoneill » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:15 pm

swo17 wrote:But it would have made that much money whenever it came out? I don't know how I'm going to explain this to my daughter.
Maybe, maybe not. I've the argument that it being released right before the Christmas break, when all the kids are on holidays and many parents are off too (i.e. not the same as the summer holidays), contributed significantly to its haul. But yeah, add in the Avatar 2 factor and that makes things interesting. Though, when was the last James Cameron film to actually come out on its originally scheduled release date?

Ribs

#9 Post by Ribs » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:39 pm

Avatar 2 has already been delayed twice (it was originally scheduled for this past December, then pushed back to this coming December, then another year (and afaik it still hasn't started production either)).

Jeff

#10 Post by Jeff » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:14 am

Principal photography on Episode VIII began today, and here's the official announcement from Disney and Lucasfilm. Benecio del Toro and Laura Dern are among the listed cast.
Press Release wrote:Rey took her first steps into a larger world in Star Wars: The Force Awakens and will continue her epic journey with Finn, Poe, and Luke Skywalker in the next chapter of the continuing Star Wars saga, Star Wars: Episode VIII, which began principal photography at Pinewood Studios in London on February 15, 2016.

Star Wars: Episode VIII
, which is written and directed by Rian Johnson and continues the storylines introduced in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, welcomes back cast members Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Anthony Daniels, Gwendoline Christie, and Andy Serkis. New cast members will include Academy Award winner Benicio Del Toro, Academy Award nominee Laura Dern, and talented newcomer Kelly Marie Tran.

Star Wars: Episode VIII is produced by Kathleen Kennedy and Ram Bergman and executive produced by J.J. Abrams, Jason McGatlin, and Tom Karnowski. Joining the production crew will be some of the industry’s top talent, including Steve Yedlin (Director of Photography), Bob Ducsay (Editor), Rick Heinrichs (Production Designer), Peter Swords King (Hair and Make-Up Designer), and Mary Vernieu (US Casting Director). They will be joining returning crew members Pippa Anderson (Co-Producer, VP Post Production), Neal Scanlan (Creature & Droid FX Creative Supervisor), Michael Kaplan (Costume Designer), Jamie Wilkinson (Prop Master), Chris Corbould (SFX Supervisor), Rob Inch (Stunt Coordinator), Ben Morris (VFX Supervisor), and Nina Gold (UK Casting Director).

Star Wars: Episode VIII
is scheduled for release December 15, 2017.

flyonthewall2983

#11 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:18 am

I forget, will that be the first film for Alexandre Deplat taking over for John Williams?

Jeff

#12 Post by Jeff » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:28 am

Here's a tiny Episode VIII teaser. There's no new footage, but it shows/spoils the ending of The Force Awakens, and has a brief shot of Rian Johnson on set where we last left our heroes.
flyonthewall2983 wrote:I forget, will that be the first film for Alexandre Deplat taking over for John Williams?
Desplat is scoring Rogue One, the standalone Star Wars story due out at the end of this year.

I don't suspect they'll announce a composer for Episode VIII for another year. Williams will be 85. If he's still able and interested in adding to his existing music (which formed the bulk of the Force Awakens score), I'm sure they'll have him. Rian Johnson has always had his brother Nathan do his scores in the past, but if Williams isn't available, I wouldn't be surprised to see Disney choose a bigger name composer like Desplat, J.J. Abrams' preferred Michael Giacchino, or Williams' friend and protege, Thomas Newman.

Kirkinson

Re: Star Wars

#13 Post by Kirkinson » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:35 am

Kathleen Kennedy said back in 2013 that Williams was "committed to being involved" in the whole trilogy. Lucasfilm later clarified that he was only actually signed to The Force Awakens, so it's not a sure thing, but it seems clear that as long as (1) Kennedy is in charge of Lucasfilm, (2) Williams is physically up to it, and (3) he actually wants to, he'll be scoring the next two chapters. Of course any one of those three things could change that (though it doesn't seem likely he wouldn't want to do it).

If he does drop out for any reason, I'll go even further than Jeff and say I would be shocked if the gig went to anyone other than Desplat or Giacchino (the latter especially for Episode IX, considering Colin Trevorrow has already hired him once to continue a franchise that started with Williams).

Kirkinson

#14 Post by Kirkinson » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:43 pm

At a concert a couple weeks ago, John Williams confirmed that he is indeed scoring Episode 8, repeating a slightly uncomfortable joke he's used before that he doesn't want anyone else to write music for Daisy Ridley.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#16 Post by Brian C » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:36 pm

Hopefully it doesn't star Tom Cruise as the white savior of the Jedi tradition.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#17 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:42 pm

I can't wait for the 3,000 word essay from that one guy here on how this title betrays the spirit of a maze Lucas signed off on that appeared on the back of an officially licensed Return of the Jedi cereal box

hearthesilence

#18 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:43 pm

Brian C wrote:Hopefully it doesn't star Tom Cruise as the white savior of the Jedi tradition.
I smell a Star Wars/Scientology crossover!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#19 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:44 pm

A Xenu Hope

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#20 Post by Brian C » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:51 pm

Face it, midichlorians sure sounds Scientological.

MoonlitKnight

#21 Post by MoonlitKnight » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:48 pm

So much for their 'return' just 2 episodes ago, eh? 8-[

captveg

#22 Post by captveg » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:32 pm

*His* return.

My guess is that if dark side force users are not Sith going forward (Kylo Ren), good side force users are not Jedi post-Luke. Why not establish a new order that does not have the failings of the Jedi?

matrixschmatrix

#23 Post by matrixschmatrix » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:43 pm

Do we know, in current Star Wars canon, how much Luke actually knows about Jedi traditions and teachings? He seems to have found a Jedi temple, but it will be interesting to see how dedicated he is to recreating the (horribly flawed) institutions of the Jedi.

solaris72

#24 Post by solaris72 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:47 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:Do we know, in current Star Wars canon, how much Luke actually knows about Jedi traditions and teachings? He seems to have found a Jedi temple, but it will be interesting to see how dedicated he is to recreating the (horribly flawed) institutions of the Jedi.
In the current run of canon comics, he returned to Tatooine in between ANH and ESB and found an old journal in Kenobi's house.

MoonlitKnight

#25 Post by MoonlitKnight » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:59 pm

domino harvey wrote:I can't wait for the 3,000 word essay from that one guy here on how this title betrays the spirit of a maze Lucas signed off on that appeared on the back of an officially licensed Return of the Jedi cereal box
I believe it was actually a word search. I don't see how anyone could manage more than 200 words for that one. :P