DC Comics on Film

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
flyonthewall2983

Re: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Zack Snyder, 2016)

#51 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:09 am

I just hope Affleck gets to direct a Batman movie down the line.

Ribs

#52 Post by Ribs » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:24 am

I am imagining a scenario similar to Edgar Wright leaving Ant-Man where Snyder leaves the project "of his own volition" because of creative differences and production is delayed a few weeks so they can rework it to address some of the problems here with the new, probably unexciting and indistinctive talent they get to replace him.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#53 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:12 pm

Free Zack Snyder

captveg

#54 Post by captveg » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:31 pm

They start production on Justice League in three weeks. That's way too soon to hit the brakes, IMO. Not when their schedule is really locked in with that many actors who will have other films.

I think people will (possibly over) praise Suicide Squad for bringing "fun and a sense of humor" to DC, and things will continue as scheduled.

Also, Terrio and Snyder are already on record as saying JL is a "lighter" film than BvS. Whether one believes that's in response to BvS or how it was always going to go is up for debate. Remember, they've had a rough cut of this film for nearly a year. A month ago the internet gave a ton of crap to Drew McWeeny's report that WB execs were concerned on how the film would be received, and he's been proven correct in that.

Also, my personal expectation was that they'd announce that Affleck is doing his Batman film after he finished production on Justice League, and that there was a nice open Fall 2018 slot in the DC film schedule there for it to slide into. Now, with reaction to the film mixed at best but everyone seemingly loving him as Batman, I practically guarantee it.

Luke M

#55 Post by Luke M » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:48 pm

I don't think the problem is dark and serious vs. fun and sense of humor. It's really just good movie vs. bad movie. Nolan's films were dark and way too serious and still 2/3 of them were great. Daredevil and Jessica Jones are dark and mostly serious and they're the best superhero shows on tv.

If Snyder's films worked better then you'd never hear the dark and serious criticism.

Davy Gallagher

#56 Post by Davy Gallagher » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:59 pm

captveg wrote:Nah, this is Snyder's baby for the long haul. It's all about $$, and it's gonna make plenty.
Of course it will - people will flock to this. However with a relentlessly grim tone will audiences want to stay with this universe for over a dozen films, a la Marvel? DC may be starting with a sprint when they should have prepared for a marathon.

carmilla mircalla

#57 Post by carmilla mircalla » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:53 pm

Luke M wrote:I don't think the problem is dark and serious vs. fun and sense of humor. It's really just good movie vs. bad movie. Nolan's films were dark and way too serious and still 2/3 of them were great. Daredevil and Jessica Jones are dark and mostly serious and they're the best superhero shows on tv.

If Snyder's films worked better then you'd never hear the dark and serious criticism.
This. The reason why I think Watchmen is horrible is because it proved you can copy and paste the way a comic looks to the screen and somehow not carry over any of the heart of the subject matter even though the dialogue was translated likewise. If Snyder didn't spend so much time expanding every bit of action he'd fare pretty well as a storyteller.

Feiereisel

#58 Post by Feiereisel » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:22 pm

One also gets the sense that Snyder's "reverence" is cheap--meticulously realizing Watchmen only to futz with the ending, for example.

dx23

#59 Post by dx23 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:35 pm

So far, the movie is at 33% on Rotten Tomatoes. Even the positive reviews aren't that glowing of the film. WB/DC have a lot of money invested in this franchise. If this movie has the huge drop by week 2, I feel that Snyder will be replaced. WB can't risk Justice League bombing at the box office. There's already resentment towards WB/DC and Snyder for pushing and rushing these films. Like the recent Fantastic Four proved, resentment in the comic book world translates to bad box office and business. For every captive who likes Synder, Man of Steel and the way things are right now, there are hundreds that feel the complete opposite. Warner doesn't have to many assets they can dick around. If they don't right the ship, I can see these whole DC Comics project blowing up in their faces.

captveg

#60 Post by captveg » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:54 pm

Let's actually see what the box office is in the first couple weeks. It could go either way. I just think that if they replace Snyder right now so short before JL begins that it'll bring an impression of panic that they'll never recover from.

Maybe that's what most want - for DC/WB to be crushed and disappear to bask in the Marvel dominance?
Feiereisel wrote:One also gets the sense that Snyder's "reverence" is cheap--meticulously realizing Watchmen only to futz with the ending, for example.
Futzing with the ending is one of the smarter thing that Watchmen does. As a *film* it needed the cleaner / less convoluted Manhattan solution.

Ribs

#62 Post by Ribs » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:41 pm

Apparently Justice League started filming this week? Jason Momoa is tweeting from the set. Might just be second-unit stuff given all the big players are surely on worldwide publicity right now but seems a strong indicator that they're not changing one thing about their plans going forward.

Feiereisel

#63 Post by Feiereisel » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:51 pm

captveg wrote:
Feiereisel wrote:One also gets the sense that Snyder's "reverence" is cheap--meticulously realizing Watchmen only to futz with the ending, for example.
Futzing with the ending is one of the smarter thing that Watchmen does. As a *film* it needed the cleaner / less convoluted Manhattan solution.
I realize the necessity of it, I suppose (one could also argue that restructuring the story to build to the ending would also have worked...though I'll not advocate for excessive creativity in blockbuster films), but I still think Snyder's reverence is thin to the point of dubiousness, little more than a buzzword to excite the 200k comics fans who follow the characters in print.

Still, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious based on the instensity of the negative reception.

Trees

#64 Post by Trees » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:37 pm

The film was better than I was expecting, given the negative buzz coming out of Hollywood. Yes, it was a little sloppy, and could have been tightened up by 20 minutes.

I thought Batman and Bruce Wayne were very good. Superman was perfect. Alfred was funny and well played by Irons. Wonder Woman was not very well cast, in my opinion, but her role was good. Lex Luther was annoying. The
SpoilerShow
monster Doomsday
was scary and a good opponent.

For me, Amy Adams was the standout. She's amazing.

7/10

Luke M

#65 Post by Luke M » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:01 pm

Trees wrote:The film was better than I was expecting, given the negative buzz coming out of Hollywood. Yes, it was a little sloppy, and could have been tightened up by 20 minutes.

I thought Batman and Bruce Wayne were very good. Superman was perfect. Alfred was funny and well played by Irons. Wonder Woman was not very well cast, in my opinion, but her role was good. Lex Luther was annoying. The
SpoilerShow
monster Doomsday
was scary and a good opponent.

For me, Amy Adams was the standout. She's amazing.

7/10
Are the spoilers true about...
SpoilerShow
Batman using guns to kill?

Trees

#66 Post by Trees » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:14 pm

Luke M wrote: Are the spoilers true about...
SpoilerShow
Yes.

carmilla mircalla

#67 Post by carmilla mircalla » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:24 pm

Trees wrote:
Luke M wrote: Are the spoilers true about...
SpoilerShow
Yes.
that's awesome

dx23

#68 Post by dx23 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:32 pm

The movie was better than I expected. It still several big flaws in storytelling and storyline logic, but it's not as bad as critics make it our to be. It's very clear that this is Snyder's version of the characters. He is pretty straight forward in making a point of loosely following the source material and cherry picking what he liked best about several of the characters in the comic books and brought it to screen. There are several things that bug me big time, but mostly it was Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor. He was completely miscast. Just wish that they do a Terrence Howard/Don Cheadle thing in the future and take him out of the franchise completely.

captveg

#69 Post by captveg » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:20 am

Glad to hear you liked it, even with reservations. Saturday can't come soon enough!

Trees

#70 Post by Trees » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:21 am

Seems like there could be a fairly significant chasm forming between critics and the general public with this film. Currently at 30% on RT, but audience score 75%. That is not unheard of, but this film in particular seems like we could see a big divide between critics and regular audience. I guess we will know more after the weekend.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#71 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:55 am

One should note that the audience score for something like this is greatly skewed by people who haven't seen the film yet and feel angry/alienated by the critical reaction. It was at something like 95% before yesterday.

captveg

#72 Post by captveg » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:03 am

Or it could be a Passion of the Christ type critic/audience response split (which is 40% / 80% on RT)

Luke M

#73 Post by Luke M » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:13 am

It could be that all the critical reviews sufficiently lowered everyone's expectations.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#74 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:16 am

Passion of the Anonymous Internet Nerds

captveg

#75 Post by captveg » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:39 am

Don't discount the Superman-as-Jesus aspect playing well for the religious general audience in Middle America and across the globe.