Alita: Battle Angel (Robert Rodriguez, 2019)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
black&huge

Re: Alita: Battle Angel (Robert Rodriguez, 2019)

#26 Post by black&huge » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:34 pm

hanshotfirst1138 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:58 pm
I was hoping to like this, but largely found myself bored. Cameron’s writing is really clunky, and Rodriguez doesn’t seem as at home with a mega production as he does with his scrappy lo-fi B-movie roots. There are a few impressive effects, but the dialogue sounds too painfully awkward and I’ve seen most of the action and FX before. Rodriguez did a much more exciting job translating comics to film with Sin City; this had none of the dynamism of reading manga (I’m not familiar with this particular title, so I can’t comment on how accurate it is.).
Rodriguez heavily worked on Cameron's original script and had to have his approval. Something around 163 pages brought down to a 2 hour movie.

hanshotfirst1138

Re: Alita: Battle Angel (Robert Rodriguez, 2019)

#27 Post by hanshotfirst1138 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:26 pm

black&huge wrote:
hanshotfirst1138 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:58 pm
I was hoping to like this, but largely found myself bored. Cameron’s writing is really clunky, and Rodriguez doesn’t seem as at home with a mega production as he does with his scrappy lo-fi B-movie roots. There are a few impressive effects, but the dialogue sounds too painfully awkward and I’ve seen most of the action and FX before. Rodriguez did a much more exciting job translating comics to film with Sin City; this had none of the dynamism of reading manga (I’m not familiar with this particular title, so I can’t comment on how accurate it is.).
Rodriguez heavily worked on Cameron's original script and had to have his approval. Something around 163 pages brought down to a 2 hour movie.
Didn’t know this, but it explains a lot. The movie definitely feels torn between its desire to be big (The manga obviously expands a much larger mythology) the desire to keep the runtime leaner.