39 A Day in the Death of Joe Egg

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

Re: Indicator

#1 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:46 am

A DAY IN THE DEATH OF JOE EGG
£15.99

PRE-ORDER NOW: THIS ITEM WILL BE RELEASED ON 21 AUGUST 2017, BUT YOU CAN PRE-ORDER IT NOW TO BE GUARANTEED A COPY. PLEASE NOTE THAT YOUR PAYMENT WILL BE TAKEN IMMEDIATELY, AND THE ITEM WILL SHIP JUST BEFORE THE RELEASE DATE.

(Peter Medak, 1972)
Release date: 21 August 2017
Limited Dual Format Edition (Blu-ray premiere)

Playwright Peter Nichols adapted his own blackly comic 1967 Tony Award-winning play for this confrontational film version by director Peter Medak. Alan Bates and Janet Suzman play a married couple struggling to come to terms with their daughter's disability using comedy and cruelty to dispel the desperation of their situation. This uncomfortable, provocative film about marriage, children and life choices is startlingly funny as well as deeply moving.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES:
• High Definition remaster
• Original mono audio
• Audio commentary by director Peter Medak
• New interview with actor Janet Suzman (2017, tbc mins)
• New interview with playwright and author Peter Nichols (2017, tbc mins)
• Original theatrical trailer
• Image gallery: on-set and promotional photography
• New English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Marcus Hearn, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and historic articles on the film
• World premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited Dual Format Edition of 3,000 copies
• More TBC

#PHIDFE039
BBFC cert: 15
REGION FREE
EAN: 5037899071182

JSC

#2 Post by JSC » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:43 pm

Ribs wrote:It's kind of crazy how with the first set of releases it was a little bit "eh, why couldn't they have just started giving these to Arrow?" but the past several months of announcements are so utterly unique and unlike anything any other label touches. I *think* I'm in for everything but Joe Egg this month, but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise on that.
Joe Egg is an interesting film with a somewhat dark story. Alan Bates and Janet Suzman are
excellent and Peter Bowles has a good supporting role in it. I didn't find the ending as satisfying
as I'd hoped, but I would still recommend it.

knives

#3 Post by knives » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:59 pm

I'll second for Joe Egg which is fairly fun and one of Medak's more complete films.