130-135 Marlene Dietrich & Josef von Sternberg at Paramount 1930-1935

Discuss Blu-rays released by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

Glowingwabbit

Re: 130-135 Marlene Dietrich & Josef von Sternberg at Paramount 1930-1935

#76 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:05 pm

DeprongMori wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:50 pm
david hare wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:18 pm
Salvation Hunters is on the cards as a Blu Ray from FilmMuseum, including Janet Bergstrom's excellent video essay. the remsining silents are all Paramount as noted.
Would that be the first Blu-ray from Filmmuseum? Any idea when it is being released? I just ordered The Salvation Hunters and four others on DVD. I would much rather have had them on Blu.
Woah I didnt think they'd ever go blu. Was there an announcement somewhere? Those are gonna be expensive

KJones77

#77 Post by KJones77 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:00 pm

Received this set today and WOW. Blew past my every expectation. Phenomenal packaging and, since I ordered direct, not a scratch or dent on it.

The book feels and looks quite hefty too, can't wait to dive into reading and rewatching the films.

On my first watch through of the films a year ago, I was a bit more lukewarm on Shanghai Express and The Scarlet Empress so I'm hopeful that they will click for me on a second watch.

ethel

#78 Post by ethel » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:30 am

A really impressive package, with superb renderings of the films (only MOROCCO remains the decidedly second- or third-tier soft but acceptable master seen in Region A).

The special features are a treasure trove, with Tag Gallagher’s magnificent video essay and Nathalie Morris’ extremely engaging talk on Travis Banton’s costumes particular standouts.

More than one fevered collector of my acquaintance claims the unfamiliar production still of the San Bernardino railyard dressed as the Beijing terminus is alone worth the price of the box set.

Only 6000 copies of this for Region B. Sternberg devotees - do not procrastinate!

david hare

#79 Post by david hare » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:20 pm

Tag's video essay on the Dishonored disc is a knockout. The synthesis between him and his subject makes him invisible. It is a mighty powerful piece of work.

The piece (20 minutes longer than Tag's) for the Venus disc on "Queering" by, or perhaps of Dietrich (who would know and who would care) is a new rock bottom in BritCrit post Mulveyan wankery. This nightmare begins with the presenter barking at her viewers "either ya gettit, or ya don't" To then proceed with unbelievably self evident objective textual realities which are "discovered" and extrapolated upon as though the presenter had just uncovered the eleventh stone tablet from cinematic Sinai.