Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

gcgiles1dollarbin

Re: Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conject

#501 Post by gcgiles1dollarbin » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:19 am

I'm quite fond of Feyder's L'Atlantide from 1921, and I wonder if Arrow could possibly be ambitious enough to include it, as mk2 apparently did once on DVD long ago, according to a board member in 2006 (scroll down three comments), although it is rather long, around 160 minutes. Also, the version I saw wasn't in great shape, as it appeared in a Feyder set from Home Vision Entertainment the same year, so maybe it's not worth a BD upgrade. Haven't seen the Pabst version and would love some opinions about it from anyone who has seen it.

MichaelB

#502 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:42 am

rapta wrote:PS: also worth noting that Indicator have not yet licensed anything not in the English language.
And won’t be doing so, at least up to the middle of 2019. But I’d be surprised if there’s a change of policy on that front.

jpglaarh

#503 Post by jpglaarh » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:04 am

Might Arrow ever release a Bava Blu-ray boxset, do you reckon?

Ribs

#504 Post by Ribs » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:55 pm

Ahead of an apparently light month of announcement's, Arrow's provided two sets of hints for releases coming later in the year: Elvira, Mistress of the Dark and 12 Monkeys.

rapta

#505 Post by rapta » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:31 pm

Posted it elsewhere, but if the recent hint from Kevin Lambert is anything to go by - "too weird to live, and too rare to die" - they could be doing Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas as well as Twelve Monkeys. In which case, it might make sense for them to grab Tideland as well and put out a nice little 'Three Films by Terry Gilliam (1995-2005)' box set (complete with Ralph Steadman artwork, I'd imagine)?

Of course, they'd both sell well separately anyway, but a Gilliam box set would obviously be pretty big news. I assume these will be brand new restorations too - thanks to their excellent work on Carpenter's The Thing, it would appear Universal are convinced by their restoration capabilities. That could well lead to other 'big' titles...off the top of my head: Carlito's Way; perhaps one or two David Lynch (Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart, Lost Highway, Eraserhead); some Coen Brothers (probably The Hudsucker Proxy or The Man Who Wasn't There); and since Universal never got around to releasing their new transfer in the UK, maybe An American Werewolf in London?

I'd also like to see them try and prize Brazil from Fox's grasp to do their own restoration work? After all, it does feel like they're trying to beat Criterion at their own game at the moment...

Ribs

#506 Post by Ribs » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:47 pm

I know it's a whole other level of "big" title to the later De Palma/Pacino collaboration, but Scarface would surely be what they'd go after on that front if they're getting such carte blanche access (especially as it seems like the Coens-scripted remake is in turnaround and won't be going ahead).

I also expect that the Gilliams will be seperate releases because it would be foolish not to, considering they'd undoubtedly sell out quickly.

Mr. Deltoid

#507 Post by Mr. Deltoid » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:46 pm

Since we are speculating, I really hope Arrow have got the UK rights to Cutter's Way. It's an MGM title, so fingers crossed. It really is one of the best American films of the 80's and a sharp full-stop to the New Hollywood of the previous decade.

. . . talking of which. The Missouri Breaks would be very welcome as well. One of Penn's best. As would 92 in the Shade, which would complement The Hired Hand release very nicely, thank-you very much! Bob Fosse's Lenny is long overdue as well, though I fear I may be asking for too-much there.

*** Forbidden. Message seems to be spam. ***

rapta

#508 Post by rapta » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:50 pm

Mr. Deltoid wrote:Since we are speculating, I really hope Arrow have got the UK rights to Cutter's Way. It's an MGM title, so fingers crossed. It really is one of the best American films of the 80's and a sharp full-stop to the New Hollywood of the previous decade.

. . . talking of which. The Missouri Breaks would be very welcome as well. One of Penn's best. As would 92 in the Shade, which would complement The Hired Hand release very nicely, thank-you very much! Bob Fosse's Lenny is long overdue as well, though I fear I may be asking for too-much there.

Yes please! Been hoping for a UK edition of Cutter's Way for a while now, as I've never seen it and hear John Heard and Jeff Bridges are great in that. And yes, The Missouri Breaks is another I was hoping for but the current master is a little weak so Arrow may pass unless they're allowed to do an in-house restoration (assuming the negatives are accessible). Lenny would also be great, and 92 in the Shade would be a world first on Blu-ray (and therefore great news).

We were previously discussing Universal titles specifically, and those you mention are all MGM/Fox which could really go to any UK label, but Arrow are the most likely to try and restore these themselves. I wouldn't mind some of the following, either from Arrow or another label such as MoC, Signal One/Plan B, Indicator, Second Sight or BFI:

A Fistful of Dynamite
The Landlord
Joe
Who'll Stop the Rain
The Boston Strangler
Pretty Poison
Bound for Glory
Laura
Thieves Like Us
Hombre
Gentleman's Agreement
Nineteen Eighty-Four
The Last Wave
Breaking Away
The Verdict
Death Rides a Horse
Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte
Birdman of Alcatraz
Swamp Water
A Quiet Place in the Country
Coming Home
Stay Hungry
Married to the Mob
The Fortune Cookie
A Wedding
Hell and High Water
Judgment at Nuremberg
Equus
Witness for the Prosecution
The Hospital
O.C. & Stiggs
The Miracle Worker
Love Streams
Born to Win
The Laughing Policeman
Across 110th Street
House of Games
Solaris ('02)

I have a feeling at least a handful of those will be announced within the next year, but it'll be interesting to see how many will come from Arrow and how many won't.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#509 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:32 pm

Seems to be a lot of this going around ...

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#510 Post by swo17 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:39 pm

I'm going to hazard a guess it's because "wild" and "irresponsible" are in the thread title.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Arrow Forthcoming Thread

#511 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:03 pm

Great, another fucking boring thread title

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#512 Post by soundchaser » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:17 pm

To bring more irresponsibility to the fore: do we know from whom Arrow licensed L'Amour d'Une Femme, and if that company has the rights to other Gremillons?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Announcements, Speculation

#513 Post by swo17 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:21 pm

domino harvey wrote:Great, another fucking boring thread title
I was just testing my theory but it didn't work.

Ribs

#514 Post by Ribs » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:24 pm

It applies to this entire subforum. It's probably just some weird property that can be ticked off in the admin controls that wasn't done right when it was set up a few months ago.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#515 Post by tenia » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:56 am

Suzuki Vol. 2 for April : Includes: Eight Hours of Terror (1957), The Sleeping Beast Within (1960), Smashing the 0-Line (1960), Tokyo Knights (1961), The Man with a Shotgun (1961).

EDIT : seems like the 2nd UK title will simply be the already announced Blade of the Immortal.
Last edited by tenia on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

dwk

#516 Post by dwk » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:11 am

the US is getting the Deep Red Limited Edition on April 10th

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#517 Post by tenia » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:16 am

Sum up for April :
Deep Red LE (US)
Seijun Suzuki Vol 2 (UK / US)
Blade of the Immortal in 4 releases (BD, BD with exclusive visual for HMV, BD Steelbook, DVD)

+ Detective Bureau 2-3 only on their Amazon Video UK channel (which is crazy considering this is one of the most famous Suzuki movies)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#518 Post by swo17 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:23 am

dwk wrote:the US is getting the Deep Red Limited Edition on April 10th
But apparently it won't include the soundtrack CD that came with the UK limited edition?

longstone

#519 Post by longstone » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:55 am

tenia wrote:Sum up for April :
Deep Red LE (US)
Seijun Suzuki Vol 2 (UK / US)
Blade of the Immortal in 4 releases (BD, BD with exclusive visual for HMV, BD Steelbook, DVD)

+ Detective Bureau 2-3 only on their Amazon Video UK channel (which is crazy considering this is one of the most famous Suzuki movies)
Very disappointing the Amazon exclusive for Detective Bureau 2-3 , hope it's not the way things are going for Arrow.
Not even a hint for a future physical release.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#520 Post by tenia » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:11 pm

It's all the more surprising that it's, again, a very famous Suzuki movie, and that a very decent HD master is available and has already been used for a BD release in France in 2016. So I really don't know why this one. But maybe it's just a timing exclusivity and that it will be releasing physically in the near future.

kuzine

#521 Post by kuzine » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:16 pm

Maybe someone else (MoC?) acquired the UK disk rights, but not streaming?

MichaelB

#522 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:32 pm

Or maybe it’s a toe in the water to see how well a desirable streaming-only title does?

DeprongMori

#523 Post by DeprongMori » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:46 pm

Given that the latest film in The Early Years, Volume 2 is from 1961, and Detective Bureau 2-3 is from 1963, I would expect it to show up in a The Early Years, Volume 3 set.

dwk

#524 Post by dwk » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:51 pm

Since they have cut the number of copies from 3000 for Volume 1 to 1500 for Volume 2, I'm not expecting anymore Suzuki sets.

black&huge

#525 Post by black&huge » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:03 pm

swo17 wrote:
dwk wrote:the US is getting the Deep Red Limited Edition on April 10th
But apparently it won't include the soundtrack CD that came with the UK limited edition?
Odd decision but maybe that will change. However I am ecstatic that the actual LE set will be getting an R1 release. I was actually losing hope lately