Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

Calvin

Re: Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conject

#451 Post by Calvin » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:22 am

Calum Waddell claims that Arrow are currently "chasing" Halloween. To be honest, I'd have been more surprised if Arrow weren't pursuing it given the recent success of their work with Carpenter/Cundey on The Thing, and the fact that previous UK releases appear to be out of print. I'll bet on it being Arrow's big October release in 2018.

What A Disgrace

#452 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:11 am

That makes sense, I just bought the US 35th Anniversary of Halloween.

Big Ben

#453 Post by Big Ben » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:30 am

There's some debate about something Halloween's release quality correct? Was it audio? The way the image looked? I can't remember what it was. It doesn't look or sound like it's supposed to on the DVD/Blu-Ray releases. Or am I misremembering? If true I imagine Arrow would fix that.

What A Disgrace

#454 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:29 am

I imagine that if Arrow wanted to go into the UHD format, a 40th anniversary edition of Halloween would absolutely be the best way to go about it.

Calvin

#455 Post by Calvin » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:22 pm

Big Ben wrote:There's some debate about something Halloween's release quality correct? Was it audio? The way the image looked? I can't remember what it was. It doesn't look or sound like it's supposed to on the DVD/Blu-Ray releases. Or am I misremembering? If true I imagine Arrow would fix that.
There was debate over the colour timing to the point where Scream Factory included both the 35th anniversary transfer and the older transfer in their box set. Scream also added the original mono track, and I think it's still only available in their set.

Halloweens II and III have never had UK Blu-Ray releases, so I imagine that Arrow will try and get them as well.

M Sanderson

#456 Post by M Sanderson » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:06 am

MichaelB wrote:...although I can absolutely see Night of the Living Dead qualifying for the main MoC line-up, although there’s obviously no point doing it.
I was surprised to learn that NOTLD is being released by Criterion UK.

They are very low key about their UK announcements.

I’d be very pleased with an MoC Creepshow. I have no doubt it’d be an MoC rather than Eureka Classics release. Someone, somewhere, must be chasing this title...

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#457 Post by Drucker » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:17 pm

Deadbeat at Dawn confirmed on Instagram.

ianungstad

#458 Post by ianungstad » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:14 pm

ianungstad wrote:In the US Arrow uses the company Filmrise to digitally distribute their content. Filmrise also represents a number of other companies so it's hard to tell if these are future Arrow releases but I suspect that they are. They've recently added Images (Robert Altman), Morven Callar (Lynne Ramsay), Sweet Hereafter (Atom Egoyan), The Grand Duel (Giancarlo Santi) and Shoot First...Ask Questions Later (Sergio Corbucci)
Well...that's one title confirmed so far.

Images is from Hemdale films. Arrow has a few other Hemdale titles currently available for streaming:

Embassy (1972)
Callie & Son (1981)
The Amazing Mr. Blunden (972)
The Blockhouse (1973)

They could have (and probably do) more titles from the Hemdale library. Probably whatever MGM has let lapse.
Last edited by ianungstad on Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ianungstad

#459 Post by ianungstad » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:52 pm

If the films were added to the filmrise channel on behalf of Arrow, they may have picked up R1 rights to the non studio controlled British films in the Romulus library. Presumably titles like The African Queen which is still with Paramount in North America would be UK exclusive releases.

dwk

#460 Post by dwk » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:23 pm

Edgar Wright mentioned on twitter that he just recorded a commentary for A Fistful of Fingers, so I expect that Arrow will be announcing that one soon.

Ribs

#461 Post by Ribs » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:30 pm

Arrow confirmed that at a convention appearance a few months ago (I believe the same point they first mentioned Carrie and that they're probably going to do a Laurel & Hardy Academy set)

Zazou dans le Metro

#462 Post by Zazou dans le Metro » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:29 pm

With impeccable timing Arrow look like bringing out American Beauty.At least their tweeted teaser suggests so. Lots of Spacey interviews in the supplements?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#463 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:32 pm

A dumb release even before the Spacey scandal-- there are like a billion circulating copies already of this, who do they anticipate buying an expensive release?

MichaelB

#464 Post by MichaelB » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:40 pm

People keep forgetting the one golden rule of these teasers: it's never the most obvious answer. And unless I'm in for a truly whopping surprise, that holds just as true for this one.

Calvin

#465 Post by Calvin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:44 pm

I'd bet my house against it being American Beauty. Something like Ferrara's New Rose Hotel or even it being a clue for Bernard Rose's Candyman seems more likely.

Ribs

#466 Post by Ribs » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 pm

..also I don’t really imagine what possible metric would classify American Beauty as a Video title.

Video clue:

Academy:

*** Forbidden. Message seems to be spam. ***

DRW.mov

#467 Post by DRW.mov » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:08 pm

The general consensus on the Video/Rose hint is that it's for The Prowler (1981) aka Rosemary's Killer.

vidussoni

#468 Post by vidussoni » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:20 pm

Altman's IMAGES is probably the Academy clue.

M Sanderson

#469 Post by M Sanderson » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:14 am

Some people are definitely hoping for some Bernard Rose (Candyman) or Eric Red (Hitcher).

I’d be thankful for any of Rose’s more extreme films, in particular the adaptations / modern day reimaginings of Tolstoy, Kreutzer Sonata, 2 Jacks, Boxing Day. Or his other horror fantasy, Paperhouse.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#470 Post by tenia » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:47 am

Arrow Video :
March 5th : Raising Cain STD re-release
March 12th : Romero set individual releases (There's Always Vanilla / Season of the Witch / The Crazies) / Flowers in the Attic (High Definition presentation)
March 19th : A Pistol for Ringo + The Return of Ringo : Two films by Duccio Tessari (Brand new 2K restorations of both films from the original negative)
March 26th : Killer Klowns from Outer Space (Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original camera negative + new extras)

Arrow Academy :
March 5th : Ramrod (High Definition presentation transferred from original film elements)
March 19th : Images (Brand-new 4K restoration from the original negative, produced by Arrow Films exclusively for this release)
March 26th : Sacha Guitry set (if not delayed again)

Telstar

#471 Post by Telstar » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:01 pm

Academy titles are all well and good but it's like Arrow Video is barely even trying anymore.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#472 Post by tenia » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:05 pm

Telstar wrote:Academy titles are all well and good but it's like Arrow Video is barely even trying anymore.
I've been burnt so many times by Arrow Video titles that just felt so dispensable for me (like many of their slashers) that I've progressively focused almost only on the Academy brand instead, but even despite this, the Video lineup feels really like it offers fewer and fewer new titles each month. In March, there will be 7 releases for 8 movies, and actually only 3 of the movies are new to the label. That's only a third of the Video announcement.
Did they really need to place so many Raising Cain + the 3 Romero + the Killer Klowns upgrade within the same month ?

Ribs

#473 Post by Ribs » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:47 am

From Fran Simeoni on Twitter:
I think I just agreed on two of the biggest titles of my career and I think I might feel a bit sick. And emotional. And scared. And happy. Mixed feelings then.

What A Disgrace

#474 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:15 pm

I'm guessing Halloween and The Fly.

Calvin

#475 Post by Calvin » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:25 pm

Who owns the rights to Halloween? It sounds like they might both be from the same rightsholder.