Arrow Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

Adam X

Re: Arrow Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on

#51 Post by Adam X » Fri May 01, 2015 11:36 pm

It's nothing new, really, though perhaps a more frequent occurrence in the last few years. It's just, I think, that labels like Arrow are releasing both films like Videodrome as well as those on their Academy line. I guess it's become more noticed by those not so interested in the former, as the home video market shrinks. Not that I'd call Videodrome a niche title but that may be my tunnel vision for all things Cronenberg.

Happily a weirdo. I'd just as gladly have a wonderful copy of Seven Samurai or the films of Cassavetes, as I would Nekromantik and Videodrome.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#52 Post by tenia » Sat May 02, 2015 8:01 am

Adam Grikepelis wrote:I may be wrong, but I actually read that comment to mean that future titles released as limited editions will more often that not loose the booklet if/when the subsequent standard edition is released.
I wrote my post in a not very clear way. What I meant is indeed what you write : now, discs are not the only thing that will be "limited" in some "limited editions" but booklets will also be too (if/when a regular edition is indeed released).

Adam X

#53 Post by Adam X » Sat May 02, 2015 11:22 am

Ah, no worries.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#54 Post by jindianajonz » Mon May 11, 2015 8:42 pm

I just noticed that the currently released Arrow USA films have "spine numbers" of AV002 through AV010 (barring AV008 which is the yet unreleased Blood and Black Lace) but there is no spine AV001. Any reason this one was omitted?

antnield

#55 Post by antnield » Tue May 12, 2015 4:22 am

AV001 is the Amaray edition of Blood and Black Lace, AV001 is the SteelBook edition.

Ashirg

#56 Post by Ashirg » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:53 pm

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

EddieLarkin

#57 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:25 pm

ImageImage
ImageImage

Banasa

#58 Post by Banasa » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:08 pm

The Black Cat now looks more like a sequel to their release for The Haunted Palace!

Banasa

#59 Post by Banasa » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:10 am

Deep Red Limited Edition cover:

Banasa

#60 Post by Banasa » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:31 pm

So if Diamond Guys Vol. 1 is a triple-feature, what will the reverse art be? :-k

Ribs

Re: Kiju Yoshida: Love + Anarchism

#61 Post by Ribs » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:47 am

It's also been pushed back to the 9th but Arrow advises as usual they're expecting if you ordered it from them it'll ship sometime the week of the 2nd.

Bürgermeister

#62 Post by Bürgermeister » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:46 pm

Easily one of the ugliest box sets I've seen.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#63 Post by tenia » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:03 pm

I didn't thought I would but I actually like the artworks (though the green could look better).

Bürgermeister

#64 Post by Bürgermeister » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:08 pm

The actual artwork is nice. The colours don't go together at all.

This set would look a million times better if it was white.

Arrow

#65 Post by Arrow » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:36 pm

I love it, I think the contrasting colors compliment each other well, it's a very dynamic looking set.

Ribs

#66 Post by Ribs » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:47 am

So I hadn't thought about this until just now, but I wonder why the Yoshida set are amarays bundled together rather than digibooks? Is it cheaper to produce?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#67 Post by tenia » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:09 pm

Ribs wrote:So I hadn't thought about this until just now, but I wonder why the Yoshida set are amarays bundled together rather than digibooks? Is it cheaper to produce?
It most likely is cheaper since the plastic cases at least are standard and can be bought in a very high quantity. Instead, your digipacks/digibooks would be capped by the limited quantity of your release (in this case, 3000).
I also suppose 3 Amarays + 1 book + 1 outer case is cheaper to assemble than digipacks, and even more digibooks.

rapta

#68 Post by rapta » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:12 pm

It may be because I hold Eureka in such high regard but I actually much prefer clear Amarays to digipacks when it comes to box sets - in fact, I would describe them as the ultimate packaging option. I have the Late Mizoguchi and WCP Vol. 1 sets from Eureka and they're definitely my favourite setup for a box set. Whilst the Bob Hoskins set from Arrow is nice enough with the digibooks and hardback book but I would've preferred Amarays instead. The best-looking BFI set this year is the Bill Morrison one (which I really must get hold of at some point), where they also opted for clear Amarays inside. It's probably cheaper to produce an Amaray set but perhaps a little heavier/bulkier to ship, I'm guessing - hence why BFI have done digipacks or slim cases with all their other box sets this year.

The fact Arrow have gone for Amarays might actually make this a priority for me...I was going to cancel my pre-order but now I'm going to try and scrape some money together to see if I can get this on the official release day (November 9th - I pre-ordered with Amazon with a £10 off code, so £46). I love the design of the packaging and the films intrigue me, so it's just the price that's a bit tricky...but I actually will get this before the Rivette one I reckon. They said it's not selling too quickly, unlike popular box sets of recent (Videodrome, Hellraiser) which have already gone OOP.

I did ask Arrow if the Amaray decision means they might do separate releases for one or two of the titles in this set but they didn't respond...they originally did say that these would only get DVD reissues, but they have changed their mind before.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#69 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:45 pm

Ribs wrote:So I hadn't thought about this until just now, but I wonder why the Yoshida set are amarays bundled together rather than digibooks? Is it cheaper to produce?
I'm happy as long as it's a nice thick box like the Videodrome and Long Good Friday sets.

Ashirg

#70 Post by Ashirg » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:51 pm

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#71 Post by swo17 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:13 pm

rapta

#72 Post by rapta » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:28 pm

Revised artwork for Waking Life:

I like it!

Adam X

#73 Post by Adam X » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:44 am

I was just looking at the great Sean Phillips' blog, and noticed a few posts on art he's done for Arrow (& Criterion) over the past year. Somewhat of a shame that Arrow don't do wraparound art for their covers.

Cemetery Without Crosses, along with CC's Breaker Morant
Sheba, Baby
Audition, unused sadly. This would've looked much nicer on their steelbook.
Dillinger

ALLCAPSAREBASTARDS

#74 Post by ALLCAPSAREBASTARDS » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:35 am

Anywhere I can find pictures of how the Rivette and Yoshida sets look like in real life? I'm still waiting for mine, and I'm dying with expectation.

Alphonse Tram

#75 Post by Alphonse Tram » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:56 am

ALLCAPSAREBASTARDS wrote:Anywhere I can find pictures of how the Rivette and Yoshida sets look like in real life? I'm still waiting for mine, and I'm dying with expectation.

This is the thread for the Rivette: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=13850&start=275" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Alphonse Tram on Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.