Teuvo Tulio on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Perkins Cobb

Teuvo Tulio on DVD

#1 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:13 am

Has anyone purchased these Finnish DVDs compiling the features of the director Teuvo Tulio? I'm guessing "Tekstitys: suomi heikkokuuloisille, ruotsi, englanti" means English subtitles are included:

1938-1944
1946-1949
1952-1972

I'm curious about both the image quality and the films themselves. Tulio was mini-retro'd in New York in 2006 and will be again at BAM in November, but only four films are showing.

martin

#2 Post by martin » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:20 am

I have the latest set (the middle set is supposed to be the best, I think). All films have English subs. Each disc also has a brief (18 minutes) documentary on the director (the same on each disc) plus an introduction to each film by a Finnish film scholar. These bonus features are also subbed in English.

Image-wise the prints have a lot of scratches (in some scenes) but the quality varies a lot. Sometimes it is quite good, and sometimes very bad. I can add some screen captures later if anyone wants them...

Teuvo Tulio's films are odd to say the least but not bad IMO. Very melodramatic with wildly exaggerated emotions; extreme close-ups with weird facial expressions, and maybe "over the top" visuals!

All films are also available separately.

SoyCuba

Re: Teuvo Tulio on DVD

#4 Post by SoyCuba » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:39 pm

budthechud wrote:I was wondering where I could pick up these sets. I couldn't figure out how to buy them from the links and can't find anything else.
As far as I know, Filmifriikki is the only choise for those that don't live in Finland.

martin

#6 Post by martin » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:07 am

I've added some screencaptures of A Woman in Crime in the Capture thread.

Tulio's films can also be found on eBay and Amazon.uk marketplace, but seems to be quite expensive at the moment.

Rufus T. Firefly

#7 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:41 am

budthechud wrote:Thanks but I am not sure how to figure this out since I don't know Finish. Any ideas?
Go to the Finnish website and click on Yritysinfo. It has some text in English at the bottom. After you've read that you can click on Yhteystiedot to get their email address if you wish to order from them.

osmin

#8 Post by osmin » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:36 am

This is the site I got all three boxes for a good price.

http://www.recordshopx.com/search/?q=tulio&movie=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

perkizitore

#9 Post by perkizitore » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:07 pm

Any vouchers for the above shop? I don't want to fork out 90 euros without trying to get a discount!

osmin

#10 Post by osmin » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:58 am

Sorry for the belated answer. I don't know of any discounts. But it is a good price for a 4 disc box. It is a bit cheaper at CDON.com, but they don't ship abroad. But look at the ebay prices for single Tulio discs.

L.A.

#11 Post by L.A. » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:33 am

The upcoming Finnish horror Linnaisten vihreä kamari / The Green Chamber of Linnais (Valentin Vaala, 1945) (restored and English-subtitled) will include 20 minutes of footage (found at Cinémathèque française in January 2015) from Tulio's lost film Nuorena nukkunut / Silja - Fallen Asleep When Young (1937) as an extra. Don't know are the supplemental material subbed yet.