DVDBeaver

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
fdm

Re: DVDBeaver

#376 Post by fdm » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:54 pm

What I liked about the layout before was that you could readily access several weeks worth of reviews from the home page. Now it's just a few days.

(Guess I'll go look for that "What's New" section.)

Edit: Oh, that "What's New" section. Not really that easy to browse. The old home page I could pretty readily see what I might have missed if I hadn't visited the site for a week or two. The new home page doesn't provide that capability.
Last edited by fdm on Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikkelmark

#377 Post by mikkelmark » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:05 pm

fdm wrote:What I liked about the layout before was that you could readily access several weeks worth of reviews from the home page. Now it's just a few days.

(Guess I'll go look for that "What's New" section.)
I was just the opposite before. Started on the "whats new" and often was on the "release calendar" site. I will probably stay on the frontpage now. Its nice they have stopped that moving thingie that was ontop on the page.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: 089-091 The Fritz Lang Mabuse Box

#378 Post by domino harvey » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:52 pm

Florinaldo wrote:
reaky wrote:Perhaps Gary at the Beaver has misrepresented MoC once too often in the past. I certainly don't take Gary's grabs at face value any longer.
"misrepresented" seems rather unfair. I know there has been some (picayune?) disagreements over screen grabs and I have mentioned elsewhere how edition details are not always correct in the reviews, but I have lost count of how many MoC reviews on Beaver have led me to part ways with my money for many of their excellent DVDs.
Uh, read the La Vie de Jesus thread. "Misrepresented" is generous

Der Spieler

#379 Post by Der Spieler » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:11 pm

Well, I know that Beaver is the site that convinced me to buy MoC products from now on. However, Tooze does come off sounding like an asshole sometimes. I wrote to him on a few occasions and when I had the chance to receive an answer it was always kind of haughty.

tajmahal

#380 Post by tajmahal » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:08 pm

Der Spieler wrote:Well, I know that Beaver is the site that convinced me to buy MoC products from now on. However, Tooze does come off sounding like an asshole sometimes. I wrote to him on a few occasions and when I had the chance to receive an answer it was always kind of haughty.
If I copped as many personal insults as Gary does, I'd get my back up, too. He has been criticized for writing crap, or incomplete 'reviews', when his main aim is to provide screencaps and comparisons. If he doesn't like a film, or feels the edition is not perfect, he has every right to say so. If a distributor disagrees, they have the right to challenge. He has made corrections, and stood firm if he believes he has given a fair representation.

DvdBeaver has done much to promote niche publishers, and has championed Masters of Cinema and Secondrun, and of course Criterion. Secondrun, in particular, have been given access to a much wider audience, and Gary has been an enthusiastic supporter, even when the image leaves a little to be desired.

Personally, my introduction to MOC was through Beaver reviews. I have no doubt Nick and co. have benefited greatly from the exposure and strong support from Gary.

Calling the man an asshole for doing his job, for which he is extremely passionate about, is really out of order.

Der Spieler

#381 Post by Der Spieler » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:28 pm

I said: he SOMETIMES comes off SOUNDING like an asshole. I didn't say he was one. I know I myself come off sounding like a douche but I can assure you my intentions are good. If you read this thread carefully you'll find that I stood up for him many times. :wink:

kekid

#382 Post by kekid » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:34 am

These points have been made by other users of DVDBeaver, but in case Gary is tracking the responses, here are my reactions.
I much prefer the previous layout.
The importance of being able to look at all future releases cannot be overstated. I very much miss this feature in the new design.
One could invoke an alphabetic listing of what has been reviewed. This had the benefit of "browsing" capability. We have lost that.
In short, the previous format gave a richer set of choices. The new format assumes we know what the majority of users seek, and makes it available more easily. I think the loss is bigger than the gain (at least for me).
I have no understanding of the technical motivation for the change. If we had to do this for the "bandwidth" reason, then I guess the discussion on the topic is futile.

bamwc2

#383 Post by bamwc2 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:45 pm

kekid wrote:These points have been made by other users of DVDBeaver, but in case Gary is tracking the responses, here are my reactions.
The importance of being able to look at all future releases cannot be overstated. I very much miss this feature in the new design.
One could invoke an alphabetic listing of what has been reviewed. This had the benefit of "browsing" capability. We have lost that.
In short, the previous format gave a richer set of choices. The new format assumes we know what the majority of users seek, and makes it available more easily. I think the loss is bigger than the gain (at least for me).
I have no understanding of the technical motivation for the change. If we had to do this for the "bandwidth" reason, then I guess the discussion on the topic is futile.
For what it's worth, you can still get the aforementioned features by following the link, or alternatively, clicking on any of the new reviews on the main page and then using the same old links in the toolbar at the top.

kekid

#384 Post by kekid » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:15 pm

bamwc2 wrote:
kekid wrote:These points have been made by other users of DVDBeaver, but in case Gary is tracking the responses, here are my reactions.
For what it's worth, you can still get the aforementioned features by following the link, or alternatively, clicking on any of the new reviews on the main page and then using the same old links in the toolbar at the top.
Thank you, bamwc2. With that clarification my issues are addressed.

manicsounds

#385 Post by manicsounds » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:52 pm

There needs to be pictures of the DVD / Bluray covers for the newly reviewed discs. That was what made me click the comparissons so easily before. Without them, it just seems like a jumble of words. Streamlined, but Unattractive.

stereo

#386 Post by stereo » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:03 pm

The vertical layout doesn't bother me and in fact is more logical and streamlined. However, I do agree with the previous post that I miss the cover pics for the most recent reviews; good cover art will get me to look at reviews I might otherwise not bother with.

perkizitore

#387 Post by perkizitore » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:04 am

manicsounds wrote:There needs to be pictures of the DVD / Bluray covers for the newly reviewed discs. That was what made me click the comparissons so easily before. Without them, it just seems like a jumble of words. Streamlined, but Unattractive.
Seconded.

hangman

#388 Post by hangman » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:52 am

Also the new layout I think could use the side menu that has access to DVD of the year and the Film/DVD review content, I'm surprised that part was forgotten and I don't like using the search bar.

Der Spieler

#389 Post by Der Spieler » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:22 pm

No Beaver review of The Fritz Lang Mabuse Box yet?

What are you waiting for, Gary?

Matt

#390 Post by Matt » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:39 pm

I am also waiting on Gary's validation. I already have the set, but I won't watch it until Gary tells me it's okay to do so.

Der Spieler

#391 Post by Der Spieler » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:54 pm

I am not waiting for his validation, I am just curious as to why he hasn't posted a review yet.

Why the sarcasm?

Matt

#392 Post by Matt » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:50 pm

Der Spieler wrote:I am not waiting for his validation, I am just curious as to why he hasn't posted a review yet.
Then why don't you ask Gary? He's got an email address: gary@2ze.com. No one else is going to have the answer to your question, and Gary hasn't visited this site since August.

Der Spieler

#393 Post by Der Spieler » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:25 pm

You, sir, are rude for no reason.
Last edited by Der Spieler on Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hangman

#394 Post by hangman » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:38 pm

Well to be fair this question was already in the thread of the set and even caused a discussion on past beaver reviews, in any case while it is odd that he hasn't jumped on reviewing this set (considering his enthusiasm for Lang and MoC titles too) he's probably just busy or something. There are already reviews posted on the thread by other sites, DVDOutsider for one, so curiousity regarding content of extras and images are there (even without the site it was already noted earlier on the thread that MoC would gather the best of the existing versions of the film i.e. Eureka Gambler and Criterion Testament.)

Edit: Speaking of question and subsequent discussion on the thread its been moved here :lol:

Ben Cheshire

#395 Post by Ben Cheshire » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:54 pm

Don't worry, Spieler, I look forward to Gary's reviews too.

mikkelmark

#396 Post by mikkelmark » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:05 pm

manicsounds

#397 Post by manicsounds » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:49 am

...and the site is down for some reason

David M.

#398 Post by David M. » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:34 pm

Not meaning to ignite this unpleasant episode again, but I really think it is time that a solution to this screengrabs debacle is reached. Nothing can come out of feuding for either side.

Can we at least agree on these points:

1. Gary Tooze and DVDBeaver do an overall great service to people shopping for rare and hard to find movies on DVD.

2. Contrary to popular belief, it is quick, easy, and inexpensive (perhaps even free) to take accurate, clear screen captures - if you know the right method. It can be done on a computer running Windows - it does not require expensive hardware.

3. Most people are not aware of video calibration (beyond setting basic controls like Brightness) and/or haven't had their TVs professionally calibrated with a measuring device, so what they are seeing on their TVs already has a layer of abstraction added to it compared to how the cinematographers intended. DVDBeaver nor DVD/BD producers can really do anything about this, beyond promoting imaging standards. However, almost no incorrectly configured TVs actually blur the picture (take that from a guy who calibrates and reviews TVs for a half-living, and also advises TV manufacturers' technical departments).

4. There is nothing wrong with saving screen grabs as high quality JPEGs. Once again, from an anal-retentive videophile and video compressionist: there is nothing wrong with saving screen grabs as high quality JPEGs. And again: JPEG IS FINE. And once again: compression is NOT the reason for those blurred screen captures. This is a misconception I see time and time again, in fact DVDBeaver's own "open response" page even fell victim to this. Over-compressed JPEG (and MPEG, for that matter) pictures look blocky, not blurred.

5. DVDBeaver issuing written recommendations is an entirely separate issue to that of the inaccurate images.

6. As a screen capture comparison site, DVDBeaver has a responsibility not to allow their process to abstract or filter the screen grabs they post - especially not selectively. Some of their captures are fine, whereas others are blurred - and that is a serious issue. It's the main reason why Mondo Vision, myself, and I believe at least one other DVD producer, have been outspoken regarding this issue.

It is quite likely that the methods DVDBeaver are using to take screen grabs could actually be replaced with quicker, more efficient ones, while at the same time showing the disc's contents exactly. I am completely willing to help solve the issue, because like I said - it would benefit everyone and there is no point in holding grudges over this going forward.

mikkelmark

#399 Post by mikkelmark » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:51 pm

Couldn't you maybe post how to correct it, and also a couple of screenshots that shows both from dvdbeaver and how they're supposed to be, so we can see the difference?

I'm very interested, my main review sites are dvdbeaver and blu-ray.com, and that's mainly because they show screenshots and I believe them more than whatever star rating system they give.

David M.

#400 Post by David M. » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:04 pm

Yes, that's probably the best way forward. I'll write an article in the next week or so when I have time that anyone can use.