Black God, White Devil (Rocha, 1964)

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Awesome Welles

#1 Post by Awesome Welles » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:23 am

Does anyone know the quality of this Brazilian 2 Disc DVD ?

Gropius

#2 Post by Gropius » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:44 pm

It does say 'versão restaurada e remasterizada digitalmente... sob supervisão de Waldemar Lima, diretor de fotografia do filme' - I have heard that the restoration is supposed to be pretty good. Since this has been voted the best Brazilian film of all time, one can only imagine they pulled the stops out for it.

Lino

#3 Post by Lino » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:24 pm

I have it and it really is a beauty of a DVD. It has english subs on the movie only but sadly not on the rest of its copious and worthwhile extras. It's ok for people like me who are native portuguese and can understand the language.

Land in Anguish I don't have but reportedly (and I hope I don't mislead anyone) it has english subs on everything including extras.

Don Lope de Aguirre

#4 Post by Don Lope de Aguirre » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:26 pm

Funnily, this DVD and Terra em Transe both landed on my doorstep this morning! And yes, Terra em Transe is subbed in French, Spanish, Portuguese and English! Two main extras. Firstly, a 13 part 'documentary', secondly Maranhão state 1966 election doc coauthored by Rocha himself as well as a trailer and photo gallery. Very comprehensive indeed.

Awesome Welles

#5 Post by Awesome Welles » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:36 pm

Thanks for letting me know, I am going to pick it up now. I may also get Terra em Transe.

Don Lope de Aguirre

#6 Post by Don Lope de Aguirre » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:46 pm

Thanks for letting me know, I am going to pick it up now. I may also get Terra em Transe.
As a Londoner, you do know that his films are being screened at the Tate Modern as part of a retro? I saw Terra em Transe there last week. A very delirious film indeed.

Lino

#7 Post by Lino » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:40 pm

Where did you get them from, Don Lope? I usually get them from a brazilian vendor but I was hoping to get more options on these this time around.

Don Lope de Aguirre

#8 Post by Don Lope de Aguirre » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:27 pm

I got them from an Brasil based ebay vendor called 'Atlantic Video'... The postage is quite shockingly high (unless you order both DVDs together). Overall, I'm very pleased with the service offered.

Scharphedin2

#9 Post by Scharphedin2 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:01 am

In the end, I went and got these from xploitedcinema. Probably this is a slightly more expensive option, however, since I combined the order with some other DVDs from other countries, I figure that it all comes to the same in the end.

Xploited is great for all these more obscure releases from all around the world, and the service/support is extremely accomodating and personal.

And I second the recommendation of the Rocha DVDs.

Gropius

#10 Post by Gropius » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:28 am

Don Lope de Aguirre wrote:As a Londoner, you do know that his films are being screened at the Tate Modern as part of a retro? I saw Terra em Transe there last week. A very delirious film indeed.
I too had been meaning to make a some of these screenings, but it turns out that last week's and now this week's are cancelled. Do you know anything more about this? I think it's something to do with not being able to source good enough (digital) materials, which they ought to have established before scheduling the series in the first place. Rather disappointing. I wonder if the remaining two will be cancelled as well... Age of Earth sounds really fascinating.

Awesome Welles

#11 Post by Awesome Welles » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:12 am

I wasn't aware of the retro at the Tate. I don't feel too bad if the performances are cancelled! I would like to have been able to see the films of the big screen though.

Gropius

#12 Post by Gropius » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:26 am

FSimeoni wrote:I would like to have been able to see the films of the big screen though.
Given the size of the Tate Modern's turbine hall, its cinema screen is actually disproportionately small.

Talking of other 'missed opportunities', apparently they had a Straub-Huillet retrospective there a few years ago, but I was completely unaware of it at the time (or conscious of who Straub and Huillet were).

Eclisse

#13 Post by Eclisse » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:25 am

I wasn't really buying 'Terra em Transe' at all. I wanted the Jabor set and I decided to give this film another shot. I saw 'Terra em Transe' for the first time more 10 years ago. I was 16-17 years old, and I didn't like it much. I remember watching it right after 'Belle de Jour', and while I was most impressed with the Bunuel film, I remember thinking that 'Terra em Transe' was a monumental non-sense. And now I'm so glad I got this DVD. 'Deus e o Diabo na Terra do Sol' being one of my all time favorites,and based on how young I was at the time,I knew I had to see it again.

It was interesting to learn that 'Terra em Transe' grew out of Jabor's great film/documentary 'Opinião Pública'. When Jabor finished his film (and got his award from Pasolini--not bad) he had some cans left, that were immediately taken by Rocha and his gang. All these people from 'Cinema Novo' are/were great. Even when they didn't get it right,it was a lesson in how to make movies under terrible circumstances... And not having money wasn't their biggest problem at all. Just one of them.

These Rocha DVDs are great.

feihong

#14 Post by feihong » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:02 pm

Anybody know when the next disc will be released? I think they're supposed to be releasing ANTONIO DAS MORTES next?

Eclisse

#15 Post by Eclisse » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:55 am

feihong wrote:Anybody know when the next disc will be released? I think they're supposed to be releasing ANTONIO DAS MORTES next?
I asked Versatil if they have any plans to release "Barravento" and "O Dragão da Maldade contra o Santo Guerreiro" (Antonio das Mortes) and got no answer yet. Best thing to do is to check their website from time to time.

Europa '51 is coming soon,but no date yet. I will get that for sure. Their "Stromboli" and "Viaggio in Italia" were quite good(and now both OOP). They also have a new "Il Deserto Rosso" out...and many others I want.I think I won't be getting any HD player this Christmas.

Stefan Andersson

Terra em Transe/Black God, White Devil restored Brazil DVDs

#16 Post by Stefan Andersson » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:20 pm

Anybody seen these Glauber Rocha restorations on DVD? Eng-subbed! Here´s a link to a Brazilian e-tailer

tryavna

Re: Terra em Transe/Black God, White Devil restored Brazil D

#17 Post by tryavna » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:20 pm

Stefan Andersson wrote:Anybody seen these Glauber Rocha restorations on DVD? Eng-subbed! Here´s a link to a Brazilian e-tailer
Yes, I recently picked up both, but have only watched Terra em Transe so far. It's a very good restoration, though it "suffers" from that old 1.66 non-amorphic problem. The extras are rather good, too -- with a two-hour docu on the film. All extras are subtitled on Terra, as is the film itself. Black God is also subbed, but none of its extras are. The few minutes I fast-forwarded through look very nice. Both transfers appear to be non-progressive.

EDIT: Was Stefan's thread merged or something? Stefan, it appears that other folks have already covered all the bases in the posts above.

SpiderBaby

Re: Black God, White Devil (Rocha, 1964)

#18 Post by SpiderBaby » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:39 pm

Versatil will be releasing Rocha's 1971 film Der Leone Have Sept Cabeças with Jean-Pierre Léaud, No release date yet.

Hopefully Claro will follow.