Bresson on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
NABOB OF NOWHERE

#51 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:40 am

zone_resident wrote:According to DVDBeaver, the Artificial Eye release is scheduled for April 21st, 2008.
Enfin! Hopefully alongside the whole bunch of previously announced Bresson too.

For those in France or with superdoopah superannuated satellite systems it's showing tomorrow night / Wed. morning at 02.00 on Cine Cinema Classic (Visconti's Sandra and Rocco are also in the schedules too).

reaky

#52 Post by reaky » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:58 am

zone_resident wrote:According to DVDBeaver, the Artificial Eye release of The Devil Probably is scheduled for April 21st, 2008.
This (and A MAN ESCAPED) have been pending from AE for literally years now. Still, a firm release date is encouraging.

Don Lope de Aguirre

#53 Post by Don Lope de Aguirre » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:24 am

reaky wrote:
zone_resident wrote:According to DVDBeaver, the Artificial Eye release of The Devil Probably is scheduled for April 21st, 2008.
This (and A MAN ESCAPED) have been pending from AE for literally years now. Still, a firm release date is encouraging.
Indeed! Let's hope it's a port of the Intermedio which is very handsome indeed! I think I am in the minority in thinking this to be not only one of the best films of the 1970s but also one of Bresson's very best.
I have seen it four times now, three on TV and once on cinema. I only fell in love with it (in fact, I only really understood it) when I saw it on the big screen (a coincidence?). To those who do not rate it, I can only recommend you watch it again and again until you rise to the film's level. Very generally speaking, it's a mistake (and a sign of intellectual arrogance) to think you can evaluate the *very* best films at once.
Uncompromising and brilliant!

Adam

#54 Post by Adam » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:06 pm

I've seen it twice. Bioth times I found myself to be completely irritated by the foley to the point where it overwhelms all other aspects of the film. Indeed, for me the film is about the foley - the aural world, empty spaces, constant walking, isolation as organized in one's own mind.
I can't say I like it, but I think it's important to see.

JAP

Re: Bresson on DVD

#55 Post by JAP » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:47 pm

Sorry to bump this thread but does anyone know what's preventing Une Femme Douce from getting a DVD/BR release? IMDb gives production credits to Marianne Productions and Parc Film, with original theatrical releases handled by Paramount in France and New Yorker in the US. Does this mean that New Yorker still has the US video rights?
There is the following comment on a back-channel version:
This is an upgrade of XXXXX's publication. The source is still the New Yorker VHS, but this rip has a better resolution and a higher bitrate. The original rip consisted of 2 CD's and a VBR audio remuxed by xxxxxxxxxxx. I've changed the audio to CBR and joined the two CD's. This is the best version available for this film, a DVD seems distant due to legal problems.
What legal problems?

senseabove

#56 Post by senseabove » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:30 pm

Has Les Affairs Publiques ever had a digital home video release? I've ended up with that and A Man Escaped being the only Bresson I haven't seen; the latter is easily remediable, of course, but all I can find for Les Affairs is a digitized VHS rip.

Also: has Les Anges du Peche ever had any other release than the French DVD that DVDBeaver reviews? That one seems to be out of print?

whaleallright

#57 Post by whaleallright » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:14 pm

My sense is that as long as Bresson's widow Mylène is alive, Les Affaires publiques won't be more widely seen.

senseabove

#58 Post by senseabove » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:31 pm

whaleallright wrote:My sense is that as long as Bresson's widow Mylène is alive, Les Affaires publiques won't be more widely seen.
Well, then. Bootleg it is, I guess. Makes it a shame that I didn't know what I was seeing when I apparently saw a 35mm print of it before a screening of Les Anges du Peche in 2012, since I know I saw Les Anges at that venue that year, and completely forgot it until stumbling across somebody's post of the screening notes here! Maybe my memory'll be jogged when I see it...

In the meantime, any leads on Les Anges would be appreciated!