Douglas Sirk on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Kinsayder

#26 Post by Kinsayder » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:55 am

A new Japanese Sirk box (or is it two boxes?)

ImageImage
Has Anybody Seen My Gal?
Magnificent Obsession
All That Heaven Allows
Captain Lightfoot
Tarnished Angels
A Time to Love and a Time to Die
Imitation of Life

Jack Phillips

#27 Post by Jack Phillips » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:20 pm

It's two boxes. The first three titles are in box 1, the other four in box 2. Expensive! (29,370 yen) But thanks for the links all the same.

yoshimori

#28 Post by yoshimori » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:41 am

Got the German Sirk set yesterday. There's Always Tomorrow looks very clean. 1.85:1. Interlude, ditto, Cinemascope. Both 16x9. I'll try to post caps this weekend.

yoshimori

#29 Post by yoshimori » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:38 pm

Here're some snapshots (taken with a crappy VLC player) of the German There's Always Tomorrow:

tat 01 tat 02 tat 03 tat 04

Ornette

#30 Post by Ornette » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:34 pm

Thanks yoshimori! Now I can finally retire my crappy old VHS.
yoshimori wrote:Here're some snapshots (taken with a crappy VLC player) of the German There's Always Tomorrow:

tat 01 tat 02 tat 03 tat 04
For comparions sake, here're the same shots from mentioned VHS in Academy ratio:

jsteffe

#31 Post by jsteffe » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:36 am

Just a quick question: do any of the European DVDs of A Scandal in Paris look better than the US Kino edition? I found a French 2001 edition by Aventi and 2007 edition ("Vidocq - Ein eleganter Gauner") in Germany.

Thanks!

Tutut

#32 Post by Tutut » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:06 am

jsteffe wrote:Just a quick question: do any of the European DVDs of A Scandal in Paris look better than the US Kino edition? I found a French 2001 edition by Aventi and 2007 edition ("Vidocq - Ein eleganter Gauner") in Germany.
The french edition is a crappy one, worse than what you can expect from a VHS tape according to dvdclassik.com (in french).

It's pretty difficult to find reviews of the german release, from movieman.de (don't know how much they're reliable):
Picture 4,70 / 10
Audio 1,20 / 10
Extras 5,00 / 10 (for the booklet)
Die Schwächen beim Bild, vor allem der Kompression, aber auch die Tatsache, dass der Ton eben "nur" Mono ist, sorgen dafür, dass die Gesamtwertung deutlich nach unten abrutscht. Das Booklet ist sehr informativ.
It seems the reviewer didn't like the compression of the image and the fact the sound was mono only :roll: .

jsteffe

#33 Post by jsteffe » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:52 am

Thanks! Maybe when I get paid at the end of the month I'll take a chance on the German release.

repeat

Re: Douglas Sirk on DVD

#34 Post by repeat » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:12 am

Could someone here please help me out a bit - with all these competing releases on the market, what might be the best way to get Sirk's essential works on DVD? It seems to me that there might be two feasible options:

a) probably the best value for money: the first two Carlotta sets + the separate UK discs of Written on the Wind and Has Anybody Seen My Gal?
b) cheaper: the Universal box + the two MoC discs + the separate Carlotta release of Magnificent Obsession

I'm on a bit of a budget, so tempted to take the cheaper route, but on the other hand would hate to lose the extensive Carlotta extras. I'd be most grateful for any educated comments or alternative suggestions!

(Edit: corrected my misunderstanding re: Magnificent Obsession aspect ratios - I'm looking to get the 1.33:1 version, the Italian BD seems to be 2.00:1 as well)

Miguel M Santos

#35 Post by Miguel M Santos » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:11 am

repeat wrote:
a) probably the best value for money: the first two Carlotta sets + the separate UK discs of Written on the Wind and Has Anybody Seen My Gal?
Carlotta is discontinuing their Sirk boxsets and some of the stand-alone editions according to their website ("The tarnished angels" 2-disc is also going). The list was longer a few weeks ago, and had more Sirk titles and volumes 1+2. I would advise getting them soon if you're interested. I have them and recommend them.
http://www.carlottavod.com/boutique.html

didi-5

#36 Post by didi-5 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:24 am

Dipped into this set the other day with 'Has Anybody Seen My Gal?' Very enjoyable.

repeat

#37 Post by repeat » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:33 am

Miguel M Santos wrote:Carlotta is discontinuing their Sirk boxsets and some of the stand-alone editions according to their website ("The tarnished angels" 2-disc is also going). The list was longer a few weeks ago, and had more Sirk titles and volumes 1+2. I would advise getting them soon if you're interested. I have them and recommend them.
Yikes, well I guess that solves it then - I was gravitating towards the Carlotta sets anyway, better get them now before it's too late. Thanks for the info!

perkizitore

#38 Post by perkizitore » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:57 am

Do you recommend all three sets?

Miguel M Santos

#39 Post by Miguel M Santos » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:30 pm

perkizitore wrote:Do you recommend all three sets?
I only have the two with the American films, so I can only recommend those - eight films ("Magnificient Obsession" is 1:1.33, I think) plus three Stahl films (Magnificient Obsession and Imitation of Life in vol1 and When Tomorrow comes in vol2). The extras are excellent although some are not English-friendly.

Never got around to get vol3, with the German films. There is also a set with the two early 1950s comedies plus one other release of a Rock Hudson film, which I also don't have. I haven't been disappointed with Carlotta yet and I have got a few of their releases over the years. Annoyingly, they are pricey.

perkizitore

#40 Post by perkizitore » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:49 pm

The set with the German films does not have English subs I presume?

Miguel M Santos

#41 Post by Miguel M Santos » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:58 pm

perkizitore wrote:The set with the German films does not have English subs I presume?
I assume not. If they have, they're not advertising it. Specs (from their website):
http://www.carlottavod.com/film-485-cof ... tie-3.html

COFFRET DOUGLAS SIRK, PARTIE 3
3 DVD 9 – NOUVEAUX MASTERS RESTAURÉS

Versions Originales
Sous-Titres Français
Format 1.33 respecté – 4/3 – N&B
Durée des Films :
78 mn / 78 mn / 98 mn / 93 mn

SUPPLÉMENTS

DVD 1 - La Fille des Marais - Les Piliers de la Société
. À PROPOS DE LA FILLE DES MARAIS (4 mn)
. À PROPOS DES PILIERS DE LA SOCIÉTÉ (5 mn)

DVD 2 - Paramatta, bagne de femmes
. À PROPOS DE PARAMATTA, BAGNE DE FEMMES (11 mn)
. DOUGLAS SIRK RACONTE : ZARAH LEANDER ET PARAMATTA (28 mn)
Le cinéaste revient sur la genèse de Paramatta et sur le choix risqué de Zarah Leander, chanteuse suédoise au physique majestueux, qui allait ainsi devenir une immense vedette.

DVD 3 - La Habanera
. À PROPOS DE LA HABANERA (9 mn)
. CONFINEMENT ET NOSTALGIE (17 mn)
De la gravité tragique de la mer au pouvoir nostalgique du chant, les grandes thématiques présentes dans La Habanera résonnent avec des scènes clés d’autres films d’époque.
. BANDE-ANNONCE