Akira Kurosawa on DVD and Blu-ray

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Gordon

#51 Post by Gordon » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:38 am

MichaelB wrote:
Gordon McMurphy wrote: the Image/Ruscico transfers of the longer version are NON-anamorphic NON-profressive with shimmering.
My Ruscico PAL edition is definitely anamorphic - it's playing on my Mac's desktop in an unmistakably 16:9-shaped window as I write this (and even if it weren't for the evidence of my own eyes, the 'Disc Info' option confirms that it's 16:9).
Thanks for the clarification, Michael. So, is the Ruscico transfer of high quality?

Steven H

#52 Post by Steven H » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:19 am

Gordon wrote: So, is the Ruscico transfer of high quality?
Gordon, I had assumed it was just a "different cover", but it looks like the single disc has no english subs, only french.

Ashirg, maybe Derzu Uzala has recieved the Ivan's Childhood treatment? Is it possible that RusCiCo or MK2 have improved upon the transfer, especially since it's a very recent release (the two-disc version, that is)? I don't currently have a copy of the film on DVD, so maybe I'll end up taking the dive on this double-disc.

Gordon

#53 Post by Gordon » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:52 pm

Steven H wrote:
Gordon wrote: So, is the Ruscico transfer of high quality?
Gordon, I had assumed it was just a "different cover", but it looks like the single disc has no english subs, only french.
Yeah, I'll order the 2-disc set soon and post my thoughts on the quality of it.

tavernier

#54 Post by tavernier » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:57 pm

Specs on the 2-disc set from MK2's website:
Dersu Uzala

Format vidéo: 2.35 (16/9 Anamorphique)
Zone: 2
Spécificités produit: Keep Case, Couleurs, DVD-9
Audio: Français:DD5.1, Russe:DD5.1, Anglais:DD5.1
Sous-titres: Anglais, Français, Espagnol, Russe, Italien

Suppléments:
Biographie et images d'archives d'une expédition au Khamtchatka
Images du tournage
Galerie photos
"Youri Solomine raconte"
"Pendant les tournages"
Filmographies
Bandes-annonces

Ashirg

#55 Post by Ashirg » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:44 am

tavernier wrote:Specs on the 2-disc set from MK2's website
All the specs are from Ruscico edition.

Steven H, Ivan's Childhood had a privelege of a better transfer from Russian Studio Krupniy Plan which mk2 most like used. For Dersu Uzala Krupniy Plan used the same shitty transfer as Ruscico.

Tom Peeping

#56 Post by Tom Peeping » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:16 am

Steven H wrote:maybe Derzu Uzala has recieved the Ivan's Childhood treatment? Is it possible that RusCiCo or MK2 have improved upon the transfer, especially since it's a very recent release (the two-disc version, that is)? I don't currently have a copy of the film on DVD, so maybe I'll end up taking the dive on this double-disc.
Don't buy the new 2-disc edition of Derzu Uzala by MK2: it is exactly the same lousy transfer than the former one with a new package (they put the film on one disc and the extras features on the other). No restauration whatsoever. There is a topic on DVDClassik where members are raging again MK2 on this one, accusing the editor of fooling clients.
Confirmation, j'ai pu tester le dvd de Dersou Ouzala et c'est le même master que l'édition précédente donc à fuir. MK2 s'est juste contenté de nous faire une nouvelle jaquette et de mettre l'intégralité sur le premier dvd, donc un conseil pour tous ceux qui seraient tentés : NE L'ACHETEZ PAS, cette édition est indigne d'une Vhs (DON'T BUY IT, this edition is worse than a VHS).

Gordon

#57 Post by Gordon » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:12 am

Confirmation, j'ai pu tester le dvd de Dersou Ouzala et c'est le même master que l'édition précédente donc à fuir. MK2 s'est juste contenté de nous faire une nouvelle jaquette et de mettre l'intégralité sur le premier dvd, donc un conseil pour tous ceux qui seraient tentés : NE L'ACHETEZ PAS, cette édition est indigne d'une Vhs (DON'T BUY IT, this edition is worse than a VHS).
For a second time this week: Oh, fucking hell. :x

Gordon

#58 Post by Gordon » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:22 am

davidhare wrote:Gordon pass the fuckin Gin!
Mother has the Gin. It's only fair, as the fruit cellar is quite damp.

atcolomb

#59 Post by atcolomb » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:08 am

tigerarmy13 wrote:Could anybody recommend a good version of Dersu Uzala?
I have the Criterion laserdisc, the region 1 Kino, the Ruscico NTSC version and the Japansese version i got from Ebay. Out of all of them the Kino has the best picture but is in bad shape. I did read somewhere that the original 70mm print needs a major restoration so lets hope Criterion can do their magic and restore it for a proper dvd release.

Steven H

#60 Post by Steven H » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:27 am

Ashirg wrote:Krupniy Plan used the same shitty transfer as Ruscico.
Tom Peeping wrote:Don't buy the new 2-disc edition of Derzu Uzala by MK2: it is exactly the same lousy transfer than the former one with a new package
Loud and clear, guys. Thanks for the help, but what a shame.

Gordon

#61 Post by Gordon » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:08 am

atcolomb wrote:I did read somewhere that the original 70mm print needs a major restoration so lets hope Criterion can do their magic and restore it for a proper dvd release.
Indeed, many Russian films shot on 70mm 'Sovscope' (and they were shot on a 70mm negative, not 65mm) are now in dire need of proper photo-chemical or 4K (or higher) digital refurbishment. The stock used was not the same as that used on the Todd-AO and Super Panavision films produced in the USA and, of course, the lab methods, printing and preservation were different, ie. inferior. Indeed, it is plainly strange that an Akira Kurosawa film from 1970 looks like crap on all DVD editions. Having said that, the print used for the non-anamorphic, shimmery Kino edition is probably quite beautiful and an all-new 2.35:1 progressive HD transfer with digital restoration would probably render a gorgeous transfer. But whence would such a gift come?

Ashirg

#62 Post by Ashirg » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:21 am

tavernier wrote:Specs on the 2-disc set from MK2's website
Here's a picture taked from mk2 DVD if you need anymore proof that it's very bad.

atcolomb

#63 Post by atcolomb » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:32 am

Ashirg wrote:Here's a picture taked from mk2 DVD if you need anymore proof that it's very bad.
I am suprised that Criterion has not released Dersu Uzala on dvd since they did it on laserdisc. Maybe they lost the rights but they did release most of his early films or maybe they have not found a good print of the film? The Ruscico has some nice extras on it but the shimmering is a big distraction and the print is not that sharp!. Who ever releases it on dvd again will have to do a frame by frame restoration from the original print to get a high quality dvd release!

miless

#64 Post by miless » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:26 pm

atcolomb wrote:The Ruscico has some nice extras on it but the shimmering is a big distraction and the print is not that sharp!. Who ever releases it on dvd again will have to do a frame by frame restoration from the original print to get a high quality dvd release!
Ruscico does not like to work with companies like Criterion (a company that likes to do their own restorations and design)... they like to farm out their products to others who will release them as specified by Ruscico (it is quite unusual that Solaris snuck by them), so a Criterion release seems unlikely, but not completely out of the realm of possibility (although Criterion does not like to step on the toes of Kino)

atcolomb

#65 Post by atcolomb » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:37 pm

miless wrote:Ruscico does not like to work with companies like Criterion (a company that likes to do their own restorations and design)... they like to farm out their products to others who will release them as specified by Ruscico (it is quite unusual that Solaris snuck by them), so a Criterion release seems unlikely, but not completely out of the realm of possibility (although Criterion does not like to step on the toes of Kino)
Good point Miless.....i did send a email to Jon Mulvaney at Criterion about Dersu Uzala so i hope i get a response from him. Maybe Kino can do a re-release of the film, i will send a email to Kino about a re-release....

Artificial Eye has released a region 2 version of Dersu Uzala with some extras and since both my Kino and Ruscico dvd versions have a poor print of the film i am wondering if anybody has bought the Artificial Eye version?

porquenegar

#66 Post by porquenegar » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:52 pm

Matango wrote:
batiar wrote:Is this the legendary (Criterion spinoff) Eclipse release?
You can find details here. Just finished watching it. Not a bad transfer at all, and some nice extras. Good price, too. A well-presented, well-produced DVD, I thought.
I somehow missed the announcement of this release and was shocked to see it on the shelves at Best Buy while I was browsing through the store. The price was a very reasonable $14.99.

foggy eyes

#67 Post by foggy eyes » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:28 am

atcolomb

#68 Post by atcolomb » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:01 pm

Thanks foggy eyes!.....It's a shame that so far there is not a good print of this movie on dvd. I am still hoping that Criterion can get the rights and the original 70 mm negative and restore it. They did release it on laserdisc so i hope can can do a dvd release.

Tommaso

#69 Post by Tommaso » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:44 pm

atcolomb wrote:I am still hoping that Criterion can get the rights and the original 70 mm negative and restore it. They did release it on laserdisc so i hope can can do a dvd release.
It would be interesting to know how good that old Criterion Laserdisc looked. If this was basically okay (i.e. from a different print than the Ruscico/Kino/AEye), they could at least theoretically use their old laserdisc transfer and perhaps do some digital 'upgrading' with it. They did this a lot with their early dvd releases, and although the end result certainly wouldn't be up to their standards nowadays, they might at least include it in the Eclipse series somewhere...

Have just read that an earlier post here states that the Kino actually has the better image (which is hard to believe).

atcolomb

#70 Post by atcolomb » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:06 pm

Tommaso wrote:It would be interesting to know how good that old Criterion Laserdisc looked.
I did my own comparison as stated in a early post between the Criterion laserdisc, Kino dvd, Ruscico dvd and a Japanese dvd i got off of EBAY. Out of all of them the Kino and the Criterion laserdisc had the best looking picture with the dvd being more sharper BUT as a whole all of them in bad shape so a frame by frame restoration is needed to bring it to todays standards.

Barmy

#71 Post by Barmy » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:52 pm

Just saw Dersu Uzala on 35mm and the film print itself (somewhat ragged) shimmers. I kind of liked the shimmering but that's just me.

bergelson

High and Low

#72 Post by bergelson » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:52 am

Hi,

Does anyone know if the French release of Kurosawa's High and Low is superior the other releases? (Criterion, BFI. Madman)

Thanks.

MichaelB

#73 Post by MichaelB » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:18 am

bergelson wrote:Does anyone know if the French release of Kurosawa's High and Low is superior the other releases? (Criterion, BFI. Madman).
No English subtitles, from what I can see, and appears to be non-anamorphic (if I interpret '4/3 format respecté 2.35' correctly).

So that looks like a pretty definite "no".

(It does have a cooler title, though - Between the Sky and Hell!)

bergelson

#74 Post by bergelson » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:14 am

MichaelB wrote:No English subtitles, from what I can see, and appears to be non-anamorphic (if I interpret '4/3 format respecté 2.35' correctly).

So that looks like a pretty definite "no".
Thanks Michael but where did you see that information?

On "Wildside" official site it sais that the film is 16/9 comp. 4/3 so I'm a bit confused.

Thanks anyway.

MichaelB

#75 Post by MichaelB » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:16 am

bergelson wrote:where did you see that information?
FNAC and Alapage - granted, not exactly gospel, but the technical specs match up.