Polish Cinema on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
MichaelB

Re: Polish Cinema on DVD

#826 Post by MichaelB » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:00 am

...and I've just realised that because this will significantly exceed the usual import threshold from Poland, the final bill for the likes of me will most likely be a fair bit higher than quoted above. Which wasn't an issue when I imported the Wajda box.

Cheers, Brexit.

TMDaines

#827 Post by TMDaines » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:17 am

Are the FINA Blu-rays of Bestia, Halka, Szaleńcy, and Polonia Restituta 1918–1920 / Sztandar wolności all unavailable already? There's no listings for them on their website.
Last edited by TMDaines on Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mas114

#828 Post by mas114 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:41 am

Is there a link to an online store to purchase the Has Blu- Ray Anthology set? I’ve been looking around but can’t find one. Thanks for any info.

MichaelB

#829 Post by MichaelB » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:03 am

Apparently you need to email DI Factory direct - has@di-factory.com

I haven't received a reply yet, but to be fair I wasn't expecting one immediately post-Christmas.

MichaelB

#830 Post by MichaelB » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:44 am

This is slightly tangential, but probably more relevant here than elsewhere.

As you doubtless know, Poland has been under new management since the right-wing Law and Justice Party was recently defeated last autumn by a centre-left coalition led by former PM Donald Tusk, and one of the first things the new Tusk administration did was institute a top-to-bottom review of just how much the previous government had sought to exert inappropriate influence on various notionally independent institutions such as the judiciary and the media.

And one of the revelations coming out of this review is that the main Polish broadcaster TVP had a list of banned films that had been imposed on them by the government, which includes some pretty seminal titles. And by "banned", I mean that TVP has the Polish broadcasting rights but wasn't allowed to exercise them, so the films were effectively prevented from being broadcast legally within Poland.

The linked article may be paywalled, and in any case is in Polish, but the films are:

Mr Jones/Obywatel Jones (Agnieszka Holland, 2018)
- this seems to be purely because of its director, a major thorn in the previous government's side, as its anti-Soviet and pro-Ukraine stance is otherwise squarely in line with theirs.

Man of Marble/Człowiek z marmuru (Andrzej Wajda, 1977)
My Mother's Lovers/Kochankowie mojej mamy (Radosław Piwowarski, 1985)
Pestka (Krystyna Janda, 1995)
- Krystyna Janda is also a prominent Law and Justice Party critic, so this is clearly a personal blacklist.

Man of Iron/Człowiek z żelaza (Andrzej Wajda, 1981)
- this not only features Janda but is also explicitly pro-Lech Wałęsa (and features him in a cameo), and he's also not keen on the Law and Justice Party.

80 Million/80 milionów (Waldemar Krzystek, 2011)
- banned because this is in part a celebration of the activities of Solidarity activist Józef Pinior, who is also strongly opposed to the Law and Justice Party.

Fuks (Maciej Dutkiewicz, 1999)
The Big Animal/Duże zwierzę (Jerzy Stuhr, 2000)
Aftermath/Pokłosie (Władysław Pasikowski, 2011)
The Citizen/Obywatel (Jerzy Stuhr, 2014).
- four films featuring father-and-son local megastars Jerzy and/or Maciej Stuhr. The last two are particularly interesting here, Aftermath because it features Maciej Stuhr playing a man investigating post-WWII Polish-perpetrated anti-Semitism (a major taboo subject under the previous government, to the point of them even threatening to criminalise reputable historians), and The Citizen because it starred both Stuhrs playing the same character, a satirical caricature of right-wing Polish politicians whose target wasn't exactly subtle. And I suspect the message of the Krzysztof Kieślowski-scripted The Big Animal, which is all to do with tolerance of "the other" (in this case a refugee camel) also fell foul of Law and Justice's attitude towards people not like them.

Truth Makes Free/Zieja (Robert Gliński, 2020)
-banned because it stars Andrzej Seweryn, also not a Law and Justice Party fan.

Good Morning, I Love You/Dzień dobry, kocham cię (Ryszard Zatorski, 2014)
-banned because it stars Barbara Kurdej-Szatan, who has strongly defended people mistreated by Polish soldiers on the border with Belarus.

Playing Hard/Zabawa zabawa (Kinga Dębska, 2018)
-banned because it referred disparagingly to Law and Justice MP Elżbieta Kruk, and because it discussed abortion.

Roads (Sebastian Schipper, 2014)
-not a Polish film, but banned because of its sympathetic attitude towards refugees in general and immigrants of colour in particular.

Radioactive (Marjane Satrapi, 2019)
-also not a Polish film, but banned because of its warts-and-all portrait of Marie Curie, one of Poland's all-time national heroes.

Goodbye Happiness (Ken Scott, 2020)
-also not Polish, no reason given.

Just Friendship/Po prostu przyjaźń (Filip Zylber, 2016)
-no reason given.

Unsurprisingly, under TVP's new management, the films are now unbanned and will be publicly screened in the near future. Equally unsurprisingly, the filmmakers and actors quoted in the article regarded the banning of their work by a government they despised as a considerable badge of honour. In fact, Man of Iron (whose position as one of Polish cinema's canonical masterpieces has been rock-solid for decades) has pulled off that feat twice, as it was also banned by the Jaruzelski government in the early 1980s.

AidanKing

#831 Post by AidanKing » Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:24 am

Interesting that 'Interrogation' wasn't on the list. Perhaps the issue of Stalin-era prisons trumped Krystyna Janda's involvement?

MichaelB

#832 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:29 am

AidanKing wrote:Interesting that 'Interrogation' wasn't on the list. Perhaps the issue of Stalin-era prisons trumped Krystyna Janda's involvement?
Or, more prosaically, that TVP didn’t have the broadcasting rights?

AidanKing

#833 Post by AidanKing » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:52 am

Of course, that makes much more sense. Thanks!

I think I might have wrongly thought that the films made under the Communist regime would have been funded and owned by the state but probably a lot of rights would have been sold on following the political changes after 1989.

I suppose, if all rights were still owned by the state, the list of films banned by the Law and Justice Party would have been a lot longer!

MichaelB

#834 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:10 am

Post-Communist rights tangles have posed regular headaches - in fact, on one of my projects the filmmaker was on the point of suing the company claiming to be the rightsholder, but I gather he deliberately delayed legal action so that my project could be released, as he thought that it was more important to have the work in circulation. (I believe he subsequently won.)

TMDaines

#835 Post by TMDaines » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:31 pm

My understanding from when Seksmisja was released on Blu-ray in Poland is that the video had been cropped from the original 1.37:1 to 1.85:1. For some reason, a number of Polish comedies got this treatment, but seemingly far fewer dramas or auteurial works, from the same labels. There’s a handy highlighted round-up here. I deliberately skipped buying Seksmisja and Vabank for this reason.

Yet I now see Vinegar Syndrome also appear to be releasing the film cropped to 1.85:1? Am I missing something?

@MichaelB, do you have any light you could shed?

mhofmann

#836 Post by mhofmann » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:38 pm

Isn’t it quite likely to assume that these were projected matted to 1.85:1 (or at least 1.66:1) in cinemas?

TMDaines

#837 Post by TMDaines » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:51 pm

Everything I read at the time, and have subsequently re-read tonight, from enthusiastic Poles suggested despair at the trend for these films being widescreened for modern TVs. Lots of Polish films in this period were still in Academy ratio.

MichaelB

#838 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:08 pm

mhofmann wrote:Isn’t it quite likely to assume that these were projected matted to 1.85:1 (or at least 1.66:1) in cinemas?
It’s certainly not safe to assume that with regard to pre-1990s Polish films, which are far more likely to be 1.37:1 than otherwise - but by the same token they were shooting in matted widescreen aspect ratios as early as the late 1950s (there being no doubt that this is true of Ashes and Diamonds).

I’m not in a position to check my Blu-Ray right now, but I’ll report back when I’m home tomorrow night.

MichaelB

#839 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:18 pm

OK, I'm home now, and it's swings and roundabouts.

The Polish BD is framed at 1.85:1, my old Polish DVD is framed at 4:3, but while the BD expectedly has a bit cropped off the top and bottom, the DVD has a bit cropped off the sides.

And a quick spin through the DVD reveals plenty of headroom, while a quick spin through the BD doesn't betray anything obviously too tightly cropped.

So my hypothesis is that it was shot full-frame and intended for projection at either 1.37:1 (i.e. in Polish cinemas) and 1.85:1 (i.e. internationally) - the fact that it's specifically 1.85:1 rather than a screen-filling 16:9 further supporting that contention.

And it's also worth noting that original cinematographer Jerzy Łukaszewicz is credited in the supplementary restoration credits as "nadzór artystyczny", or the man responsible for overall artistic supervision.

TMDaines

#840 Post by TMDaines » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:32 am

Thanks, MichaelB. Now I need the same analysis for the Vabank films that have received similar treatment! I can see some screenshots here: https://poral.eu/vabank_1981_blu-ray.php

I have my father-in-law staying over from the Ukraine at the moment, and we've started to watch a number of Polish classics as a three. Neither me nor my wife (his daughter) knew he understood Polish enough to be enthusiastic enough watching films without needing any form of subtitles, but suggest Hoffman's Znachor as one he liked, which we watched. Shame no Blu-ray of that yet, despite it very much being pure melodrama. We also did Wajda's Panny z Wilka, which was my choice. He then mentioned both Seksmisja and Vabank as films he would like to watch again, but they are some of the very few Blu-rays I skipped over because of the re-framing confusion annoyingly.

Aunt Peg

#841 Post by Aunt Peg » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:19 am

Can anybody recommend a Polish on-line seller who ships internationally?

I found out recently that Valeria Bruni-Tedeschi's Forever Young (2022) has been released in Poland on Blu Ray with English subtitles.

MichaelB

#842 Post by MichaelB » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:08 am

I generally buy from Empik or DVDMax these days. Both are pretty much indistinguishable in terms of how they operate.

Aunt Peg

#843 Post by Aunt Peg » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:54 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:08 am
I generally buy from Empik or DVDMax these days. Both are pretty much indistinguishable in terms of how they operate.
Thanks Michael.