Bernardo Bertolucci on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Dylan

Bertolucci's La Luna - Brazilian edition

#1 Post by Dylan » Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:15 pm

Thank you "Annie!" This indeed is wonderful news, I can't wait! Hopefully somebody will also pick up "Spider's Stratagem," "Conformist," and other Bertolucci's soon!

Annie, any recent information on this release? I hope it hasn't been delayed.

Lino

#2 Post by Lino » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:16 am

I've checked Versatil's site and it doesn't have a date yet. They said first semester, so I guess we can expect it to come out somewhere between now and June...

Dylan

#3 Post by Dylan » Thu May 26, 2005 9:03 pm

Well, it's almost June and no release date announcement yet (or cover art, or even an update stating that English audio will be included). I wonder if they came across some rights trouble?

kazantzakis

#4 Post by kazantzakis » Thu May 26, 2005 11:17 pm

All their "em breve" announcements are held back for some reason. I dont think their schedule is to be trusted. Their Rocha releases have been "coming soon" for years...

hellboytr

Bernardo Bertolucci on DVD

#5 Post by hellboytr » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:09 am

This was the most pleasing discovery for me in the past months; Bertolucci's The Spider's Stratagem (1970) and La Luna (1979) will be released on DVD in Brazil by DVD Versátil in February :) , who also released Prima della rivoluzione (1964) before. The only brazilian web site i know (with an english interface) that ships to international addresses.

Lino

#6 Post by Lino » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:26 am

Versatil is a very reliable label so I'm sure the DVDs will be top notch. For my part, I'm waiting for a R1 release of La Luna as I've got my uncut version on a TV taped VHS to keep me satisfied until an announcement is made.

Thanks for the heads up, hellboy!

Ashirg

#7 Post by Ashirg » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:59 am

Criterion Film from Denmark released it on DVD in region 2, but it's full screen and in English.

Dylan

#8 Post by Dylan » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:09 am

Wonderful news!

"La Luna" was filmed in English, and I believe it was reported last year that Versatil was going to include the English audio. If they followed through and included the English audio, I'm purchasing a copy of "La Luna" the minute it becomes available.

As for "Spider's Stratagem," equally great news as this is a really great film and I eagerly await to see it restored (as the New Yorker VHS is pretty sub par), but I will have to hold back if Versatil's DVD doesn't include English subtitles.

Despite my immense Bertolucci enthusiasm that has risen from two of his most hard to find films being released (one of which I haven't seen), I need to find out more technical details about these releases. "La Luna," at the very least, must include English audio.

Dylan

Gordon

#9 Post by Gordon » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:40 pm

Do many Versatil titles feature english subtitles?

Was La Luna shot in 2.35:1 Technovision?

Dylan

#10 Post by Dylan » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:22 pm

According to the "Bernardo Bertolucci Interviews" book, "La Luna" was shot in 1.85:1 (and "Spider's Stratagem" in 1.66:1, which it presently isn't available in). And it doesn't appear that any Versatil releases so far have had English subtitles, but I'm crossing my fingers for the original English audio for "La Luna."

hellboytr

#11 Post by hellboytr » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:23 am

As Ashirg said above, its aspect ratio is terribly wrong...

Dylan

#12 Post by Dylan » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:01 am

Has anybody ordered this yet (re: the Brazilian disc of "Luna")? Was it actually released in February? Does it have English audio and removable subtitles?

Lino

#13 Post by Lino » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:28 am

Dylan, according to this site it comes out this coming Monday

thomega

#14 Post by thomega » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:29 am

La Luna will be released in Germany by Arthaus with english and german soundtracks (the latter hopefully without forced german subtitles) as 1.85@16:9 on April 21, 2006.

Gordon

#15 Post by Gordon » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:07 pm

thomega wrote:La Luna will be released in Germany by Arthaus with english and german soundtracks (the latter hopefully without forced german subtitles) as 1.85@16:9 on April 21, 2006.
Good scouting, brother! Here's the Amazon.de link: La Luna

Dylan

#16 Post by Dylan » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:15 pm

I think I'll wait for the German edition, since that's probably cheaper to Import (from Amazon), but has anybody obtained the Versatil disc yet?

Dylan

#17 Post by Dylan » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:10 pm

I'd certainly be interested in seeing those caps. I've been told that the French disc is quite an outstanding transfer. I know the German disc of "La Luna" is coming, but has anybody looked at the Brazilian release yet? What about the release of "The Spider's Stratagem" (a great film that I would love to see restored)?

hellboytr

#18 Post by hellboytr » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:26 pm

Random screenshots from the Brazilian La Luna DVD from Versatil Home Video:

Dylan

#19 Post by Dylan » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:12 am

The German DVD came out last Tuesday. Has anybody seen it yet? Are there forced English subtitles when accessing the English audio? I haven't ordered it yet but will soon, though I hope there aren't forced English subs.

Dylan

#20 Post by Dylan » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:55 pm

Excellent, I look forward to your thoughts on the disc. I really should order it myself, a newly released Bertolucci (and one I haven't seen at that) is quite the deal for me. Though I'll probably wait. Here's hoping for no unremovable subs.

Dylan

Partner (Bertolucci, 1968)

#21 Post by Dylan » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:33 am

This is an excellent movie, my favorite NoShame release so far. It is a challenging film...angry, politically-driven, absorbingly literal. Like you, I found it very overwhelming, but I will study its intentions and psychology in the future, as I have with many of his films.

It was Bertolucci's first of four feature films shot in 2.35:1, and it's loaded with gorgeously unique panoramic compositions and Godardian use of objects, furniture, and color. Pierre Clementi is wonderful, sort of a hybrid of Delon and Leaud, with a dash of pure insanity thrown in (that brief scene where he confronts the giant shadow is wonderful). And that interesting, fragmented score by Ennio Morricone.

Most of all, it's part of one of Bertolucci's most interesting periods (his "Italian New Wave," which lasted from 1964-69 with two features and one short). Meanwhile, I think "Before the Revolution" is one of the most beautiful movies ever made, and I think many here will be awe-struck when Criterion finally releases it.

Anyway, yeah, "Partner" is a hell of a movie. Any other fans here?
Last edited by Dylan on Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Steven H

Partner (Bertolucci, 1968)

#22 Post by Steven H » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:38 am

This was definitely one of my favorite DVDs that I chanced upon last year (a gift from my thoughtful girlfriend). Admittedly, I'm not the biggest Bertolucci fan, but so many things fascinated me about it (it probably helps that I had just read The Double) that I'm anxious to give his films that I've seen another chance. I can't claim to have much insight either, but the film is obviously interesting on a purely visual level, and extremely successful in making the personal political. As I was walking past my DVD collection the other day, I saw the spine and was reminded at how much I enjoyed it. I'll have to take another look (when I have time).

thomega

La Luna

#23 Post by thomega » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:35 pm

Dylan wrote:The German DVD came out last Tuesday. Has anybody seen it yet? Are there forced English subtitles when accessing the English audio?
I received it today. There are two sets of german subtitles: one only for the short pieces of italian dialogue and the other for everything. One can switch freely among these two and no subtitles at all. One can switch freely between the german and the english soundtrack. There are no english subtitles for the italian dialogue.

I haven't watched the complete film yet, but the transfer looks very nice on my PAL 16:9 CRT.

Dylan

#24 Post by Dylan » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:41 pm

I'm ordering La Luna no matter what because I don't think there's a remote chance this will be on R1 anytime soon, but how much Italian dialogue is there?

thomega

#25 Post by thomega » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:35 pm

Dylan wrote:how much Italian dialogue is there?
As I said, I haven't watched the movie in its entirety, but there appears to be very little italian dialogue. It's not among protagonists, but people on the street or rude spectators chatting in the opera during an aria, etc. It's probably more important as texturing than as textual information.