Godard on DVD and Blu-ray

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
justeleblanc

Re: New to the forums!

#301 Post by justeleblanc » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:26 pm

Klaus Capra wrote:Me being more of an early Godard fan, as opposed to the jaded and bitter more recent Godard, would the movies in the Lions Gate set be a good move? Or are these films more playful, and less angry?
These are the films Godard made when he was returning to his New Wave roots, albeit with a more distinct editing/visual/sound aesthetic. His films from Sauve qui peut (la vie) through Keep Your Right Up! are the more accessible of his later films. Their subject matter isn't as political (though their formal choices are) and they are lighter, if not funnier.

Take a look at Carmen and see what you think.

ellipsis7

#302 Post by ellipsis7 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:48 pm

MADE IN USA is rather lovely and rightly presented anamorphic 2.35:1 on the Optimum R2 UK DVD (the best side of their split personality!)...

Petty Bourgeoisie

Re: New to the forums!

#303 Post by Petty Bourgeoisie » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:15 pm

Klaus Capra wrote:Top 5 Godard:

1.Pierrot le Fou
2.My Life to Live
3.A Woman is a Woman
4.Breathless
5.Masculin Feminin

Me being more of an early Godard fan, as opposed to the jaded and bitter more recent Godard, would the movies in the Lions Gate set be a good move? Or are these films more playful, and less angry?
Interesting that you don't have Contempt in your top five. I only say this because I feel many of his later films (including Nouvelle Vague, In Praise of Love and Notre Music) are built upon the foundation of Contempt. But that observation is applicable post 1990 and all the Lionsgate entries are from the 1980's and have a more playful air about them. I'll bet you'll like them. And really, for $25 it's a steal.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#304 Post by domino harvey » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:21 pm

Detective is arguably his most playful late-period film.

Klaus Capra

#305 Post by Klaus Capra » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:01 pm

Thanks a bunch for the tips, folks.
Interesting that you don't have Contempt in your top five. I only say this because I feel many of his later films (including Nouvelle Vague, In Praise of Love and Notre Music) are built upon the foundation of Contempt.
Contempt is a gorgeous film, and I love the cinema references in it, and Godard's personal life overtones. And I can't think of another director from the era that used cinemascope so elegantly/modernly. I guess it doesn't make the top 5 cut, because for me it doesn't have the same sort of.. continuity that his other films from the time had. But who knows? I haven't seen most of his 90s work, so Contempt might quickly find its place in my favorites. My top lists are perpetually under construction.

Can't wait to see more.

justeleblanc

#306 Post by justeleblanc » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:37 pm

domino harvey wrote:Detective is arguably his most playful late-period film.
It's definitely playful, but it's also a bit too free-form at times, which may be abrasive for later Godard newbies. It was for me the first time I saw it, but I may be wrong.

Àngel Maeztu

The new Jean-Luc Godard boxed set (his revolutionary period)

#307 Post by Àngel Maeztu » Fri May 09, 2008 6:57 pm

The new Jean-Luc Godard boxed set (his revolutionary period)

Out this month in Spain via Intermedio:

All the best, Àngel.

Kinsayder

#308 Post by Kinsayder » Fri May 09, 2008 8:08 pm

Thanks, Àngel. If you have this, do you know whether the Spanish subtitles are removable? On Intermedio's other Godard set, Histoire(s) du cinéma, they were burnt in.

justeleblanc

#309 Post by justeleblanc » Fri May 09, 2008 9:06 pm

Oh wow!

I assume no English subtitles? Also, what is Schick? Does it have something to do with Until Victory?

The design of the case looks great as well.

Ovader

#310 Post by Ovader » Fri May 09, 2008 10:01 pm

justeleblanc wrote:I assume no English subtitles? The design of the case looks great as well.
My post from last June stated there will be no English subtitles and I agree about the design of the case. Their e-mail leads me to speculate there will be another DVD distributor to release these films for the English markets...eventually.

justeleblanc

#311 Post by justeleblanc » Fri May 09, 2008 11:26 pm

Ovader wrote:
justeleblanc wrote:I assume no English subtitles? The design of the case looks great as well.
My post from last June stated there will be no English subtitles and I agree about the design of the case. Their e-mail leads me to speculate there will be another DVD distributor to release these films for the English markets...eventually.
Sound about right. I'm sure Gaumont wants to make money off of these. I suppose Intermedio paid extra to have exclusive sales rights for a period of time before other companies can sell their versions with English subtitles.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#312 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sat May 10, 2008 12:43 am

justeleblanc wrote:Also, what is Schick? Does it have something to do with Until Victory?
It's a commercial for shaving cream. Seriously.

Oedipax

#313 Post by Oedipax » Sun May 11, 2008 12:52 am

Any advance word on how the Koch Lorber release of Le Gai Savoir looks? It's out on Tuesday, and I plan on ordering although I'd like to hear a bit about the quality of the transfer first. I already have a decent VHS copy.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#314 Post by domino harvey » Sun May 11, 2008 12:56 am

Oedipax wrote:Any advance word on how the Koch Lorber release of Le Gai Savoir looks? It's out on Tuesday, and I plan on ordering although I'd like to hear a bit about the quality of the transfer first. I already have a decent VHS copy.
The caps in the DVDTalk review look good, even though the reviewer unsurprisingly was left cold by the flick.
I kept confusing Koch with New Yorker and thinking it wouldn't be at DD, but it is so I would wait til June if you can.
I too was quite happy to ditch my VHS rip of this movie upon announcement, I figure I can wait another month.

Trelkovsky

#315 Post by Trelkovsky » Fri May 30, 2008 6:47 pm

If you have this, do you know whether the Spanish subtitles are removable? On Intermedio's other Godard set, Histoire(s) du cinéma, they were burnt in.
Unfortunately, the subtitles are forced, although not burnt in.

Barmy

#316 Post by Barmy » Fri May 30, 2008 6:57 pm

Why would Gai, a film with a black background, require yellow subs? (Why would any film, for that matter.) Boycott.

Kinsayder

#317 Post by Kinsayder » Sat May 31, 2008 5:30 am

Trelkovsky wrote:
If you have this, do you know whether the Spanish subtitles are removable? On Intermedio's other Godard set, Histoire(s) du cinéma, they were burnt in.
Unfortunately, the subtitles are forced, although not burnt in.
I can live with that. Thanks for the info. DVDGO are selling this for 65.95 Euros. FNAC.es for 59,95.

DVD1: Un film comme les autres (1968) / British Sounds (1969)
DVD2: Pravda (1969) / Vent d'Est (1969)
DVD3: Luttes en Italie (1970) / Vladimir et Rosa (1970)
DVD4: 1PM (One Parallel Movie) (1971) / Schick (1971)
DVD5: Letter to Jane: An Investigation about a Still (1972) / Ici et Ailleurs (1974)

otis

#318 Post by otis » Sat May 31, 2008 5:39 am

Trelkovsky, is Lotte in Italia/Luttes en Italie in the original Italian or the French-language version? Thanks.

Trelkovsky

#319 Post by Trelkovsky » Sat May 31, 2008 8:41 am

Trelkovsky, is Lotte in Italia/Luttes en Italie in the original Italian or the French-language version?
I haven't seen it yet, but I have just checked it and the players speak in italian but there is a female voice over in french translating everything they say.

Are you all aware that these Spanish releases by universal /studio canal include English subtitles and menus?

Image Image Image Image Image

They are sold exclusively at fnac shops, you can buy them at fnac.es, they also released 'Detective', 'Pasión' and 'Prenom: Carmen', but I can't find them at their site.
Last edited by Trelkovsky on Sat May 31, 2008 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

otis

#320 Post by otis » Sat May 31, 2008 9:10 am

Trelkovsky wrote:
Trelkovsky, is Lotte in Italia/Luttes en Italie in the original Italian or the French-language version?
I haven't seen it yet, but I have just checked it and the players speak in italian but there is a female voice over in french translating everything they say.
That's a pity. As this was made for RAI (Italian TV), the Italian version should be considered the original. What about British Sounds? Does that have French voiceover too?

Trelkovsky

#321 Post by Trelkovsky » Sat May 31, 2008 11:04 am

No, British sounds is entirely in English.

By the way, I'm almost certain that the girl who provides the voice over in 'luttes en Italie' is Anne Wyazemski.

jbeall

#322 Post by jbeall » Sat May 31, 2008 1:09 pm

Trelkovsky wrote:Are you all aware that these Spanish releases by universal /studio canal include English subtitles and menus?

Image Image Image Image Image

They are sold exclusively at fnac shops, you can buy them at fnac.es, they also released 'Detective', 'Pasión' and 'Prenom: Carmen', but I can't find them at their site.
Those are the same releases that you can get from amazon.uk, no?

Trelkovsky

#323 Post by Trelkovsky » Sat May 31, 2008 4:04 pm

Yes, but I think that in the U.K. they don't sell 'Pasión' and 'Prenom: Carmen' separately. But now that you can't find them at fnac's website anymore, it's no use :(

dannyf

#324 Post by dannyf » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:39 am

Does anyone know where I would be able to order the Dziga Vertov boxset from a site with relatively cheap international shipping (to Australia in particular). I tried dvdgo and fnac.es but I was looking at shipping costs of around 40-50 euros, which seems kind of excessive.

Trelkovsky

#325 Post by Trelkovsky » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:55 am

I'm afraid there are not many reliable online shops in Spain.

You can order it directly from intermedio, but I think the shipping costs will be more or less the same as in fnac and dvdgo.

There is also Movies Distribución, but I don't know what their shipping costs are for Australia.