Powell and Pressburger (UK releases)

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Lino
"Without obsession, life is nothing"

#26 Post by Lino » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:30 am

From DVDClassik:
Première salve Powell/Pressburger en provenance de l'Institut Lumière

Comme Bertrand Tavernier l'annonçait dans l'entretien qu'il nous a accordé, les films du tandem génial vont enfin trouver un écrin à leur mesure en Zone 2 française. Chaque films sera édité en double DVD avec VOST mono et sera distribué par Warner :

Les chaussons rouges : Présentation par Bertrand TavernierTavernier - Bandes annonces - Souvenirs de Michael par Thelma Schoonmaker partie 1 - Les audaces d'un aventurier partie 1 par Bertrand Tavernier - Profil des chaussons rouges - Un pas de danse par Yourgos Loukos

Le narcisse noir : Préface de Martin Scorsese - Présentation par Bertrand Tavernier - Bandes annonces - Souvenirs de Michael par Thelma Schoonmaker partie 3 - Les audaces d'un aventurier partie 2 par Bertrand Tavernier - Profil du Narcisse noir - Painting with light : autour de Jack Cardiff par Craig McCall - This is color : démonstration pour le Technicolor réalisé par Jack Cardiff avant son travail avec Powell

49è parralèle
: Présentation par Bertrand Tavernier - Préface de Martin Scorsese - Souvenirs de Michael par Thelma Schoonmaker partie 4 - Les audaces d'un aventurier partie 4 par Bertrand Tavernier - Bandes annonces

Colonel Blimp : Présentation par Bertrand Tavernier - Bandes annonces - Souvenirs de Michael par Thelma Schoonmaker partie 2 - Les audaces d'un aventurier partie 3 par Bertrand Tavernier - Profil du Colonel Blimp - The making of an englishman (documentaire de Kevin McDonald sur Emeric Pressburger)

Date de sortie : 5 Avril 2006
These will be great primarily for two reasons: as you can see above, each edition will be a 2XDVD with great extras, that manage to sample most that are present on Criterion editions and then some; and being Warner, this of course means great quality and unbeatable prices.

For my part, I'm waiting for Gary to review and compare them because I still haven't made myself buy any Powell/Pressburger apart from Peeping Tom - therefore, this is also a heaven sent to boot!

tavernier

#27 Post by tavernier » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:07 am

Plus, my namesake is one of the most literate, enthusiastic film buffs around, so he will make sure these are top-notch.

porquenegar

#28 Post by porquenegar » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:48 pm

Are there any reviews of the HMV 9-disc set yet? I can't find any if there are. Can anyone comment on the quality?

Kinsayder

#29 Post by Kinsayder » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:53 pm

The 9-disc set is currently down to £17.99 at HMV.

As far as the quality is concerned, most of the discs in the set are identical to the well-reviewed Carlton editions available individually (they still have the Carlton logo printed on them, even though the packaging doesn't).

Check DVD-Basen for reviews of the individual titles.

tavernier

#30 Post by tavernier » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:41 pm

Damn, I paid more when it first came out.....at that price, it's definitely worth jumping at.

porquenegar

#31 Post by porquenegar » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:59 pm

Does anyone know how long the sale lasts?

porquenegar

#32 Post by porquenegar » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:40 pm

I received mine in the mail this Saturday and it is a very nice looking, if barebones set. I took a gander at Red Shoes and it looked very good and watched Blimp, which had a small bit of audio hiss in parts but was very good overall. 9 Films for $38.42 is a steal.

nyasa

#33 Post by nyasa » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:22 pm

I bought the HMV set last week - used a £2-off voucher, so picked up 9 films for £15.99.

Biggest surprise: I actually enjoyed They're a Weird Mob. I didn't have high hopes for it, but it's quite an effective portrayal of the immigrant experience in 1960s Australia, with some nice directorial touches. Not first rate P&P by any means, but a perfectly decent - if a little dated - movie. Shame it didn't come with the Making Of documentary that I believe is on the Aussie release.

As for the rest of the set, as far as I can make out you're basically getting all of the Carlton R2 releases - some with extras (documentaries with The Red Shoes, Colonel Blimp, and A Matter of Life and Death), some without. The Red Shoes in the set is the Carlton disc that DVD Beaver reckoned to be superior to the Criterion.

Biggest WTF: Laurence Olivier in 49th Parallel. My God, what was he on? That accent! John Cleese obviously ripped it off for the French taunter in Holy Grail.

porquenegar

#34 Post by porquenegar » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:28 pm

I've been making my way through this set and am a bit more than halfway done and I already feel as if I got my moneys worth. I recently screened A Cantebury Tale which I thought had a perfect ending that just spiritually felt right to me. This morning (on vacation, baby!) I watched A Matter of Life and Death that I thought was very inventive and very sweet. 49th Parallel was great fun even with Olivier's bad accent. Its a really great little propoganda film. The only one I haven't liked was I Know Where I'm Going which seemed more ordinary than the other films. I've yet to watch Ill Met by Moonlight, Battle of River Plate or They're a Weird Mob so I can't comment on those.

david hare

#35 Post by david hare » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:31 pm

The thread at DVDClassik continues. someone there posted a link to a French review site.

The "Narcisse Noir" caps look a little different to both the Criterion and the new R2. the Blimp caps look somewhat gray and overly grainy. and one of the posters notes Red Shoes ("Chaussons Rouges") as similar to the Criterion.

Has anyone bought these yet?

Lino
"Without obsession, life is nothing"

#36 Post by Lino » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:30 am

49th Parallel gets a Beaver comparison review and the new French edition comes out a winner.

And another strike for Warner France, this time around for Black Narcissus.

Gary Tooze

#37 Post by Gary Tooze » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:24 pm

Thanks Annie!

Yes, to further emphasize - I strongly recommend the Warner Black Narcissus as the best quality I have seen of that film on digital. It is spectacular... in my opinion.

49th Parallel is better, but not as significantly as BN.

The Red Shoes is a weak sister but has the benefit of appearing un-manipulated. It's just the print used is more worn and faded (comparison is up, btw).

I didn't get Blimp... but understand it is also weaker than existing DVDs.

Best,
Gary

Kinsayder

#38 Post by Kinsayder » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:43 am

If you've been holding out on buying the new French P&Ps, it might be worth holding out a bit longer...

Works out about 16.60 Euros for each double-disc set.

yoshimori

#39 Post by yoshimori » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:18 am

Doesn't mean that much to me, but I know others will be interested in THIS 11/20 release.

Box includes: The Battle of the River Plate, A Canterbury Tale, 49th Parallel, I Know Where I'm Going!, Ill Met By Moonlight, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, The Red Shoes, A Matter of Life and Death, They're a Weird Mob

Sorry if this's been posted elsewhere. Sought, but not found.

Don Lope de Aguirre

#40 Post by Don Lope de Aguirre » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:45 am

It sounds a lot like this, supposed, HMV exclusive.

Anonymous

#41 Post by Anonymous » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:05 am

After the beautiful recent restorations of BLACK NARCISSUS and A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH, the Film Foundation now begins to restore THE RED SHOES (as you can read here). Now that's fantastic news!

david hare

#42 Post by david hare » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:43 am

Dude - we get newz of Jack the Mack!

Gordon
Waster of Cinema

#43 Post by Gordon » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:31 pm

With the 2006 contribution, The Film Foundation will fund the restoration of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger's masterpiece, THE RED SHOES (1948) starring Anton Walbrook, Marius Goring and Moira Shearer. Though currently available on DVD, the film's original negative is in serious need of restoration to ensure its future survival.
Immensely good news. I wonder which type of restoration it will be?

Napoleon

#44 Post by Napoleon » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:12 am

Mr. Bernstein wrote:After the beautiful recent restorations of BLACK NARCISSUS and A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH, the Film Foundation now begins to restore THE RED SHOES (as you can read here). Now that's fantastic news!
Is this* available on dvd anywhere? And if so why am I not already aware of it!?

*Life and Death not Red Shoes

#45 Post by Guest » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:51 am

n w wrote:Is this* available on dvd anywhere? And if so why am I not already aware of it!?

*Life and Death not Red Shoes
No, sadly the newly restored A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH wasn't released yet on DVD.

Greathinker

#46 Post by Greathinker » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:16 pm

I can't believe I missed out on that HMV set for £15.99, it's now almost double that at £34.99

#47 Post by Guest » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:52 pm

I just got an answer from Film Foundation via email regarding THE RED SHOES:
Thank you for your query. We are in the process of gathering and
reviewing the film elements and will have a complete preservation plan
shortly.

Best regards,
Jessica Bursi
The Film Foundation
No big news, but I surely am excited anyway.

Greathinker

#48 Post by Greathinker » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:32 pm

Don't know if others are aware but it looks as if A Canterbury Tale, I Know Where I'm Going, and Peeping Tom are being released by Warner France as well. Each will have 2 disks and be sold in a box very similar to their other set of four, both boxes are coming out Nov 8th.
And it appears that Peeping Tom will be exclusive to the box whereas the other two will be available separately in December.

Very good news, Peeping Tom is finally going to be available in its correct AR

Anonymous

#49 Post by Anonymous » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:40 am

OH ROSALINDA! and A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH will be released in France on November 7th, as you can see here

I hope the transfer is based on the new restoration!

Gordon
Waster of Cinema

#50 Post by Gordon » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:28 pm

It's surprising that the Charles Doble restoration of Honeymoon hasn't been released on DVD anywhere. Studio Canal own the rights. It has long been dismissed as silly travelogue, but it's probably quite exciting. Seeing it in its original 2.35:1 Technirama framing with vibrant color would be most welcome.

I'll be very interested in seeing the new Matter of Life DVD from Warner France. Sony hasn't said anything about their release in years.