New Australian DVD and BD Releases

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
King of Kong

#1 Post by King of Kong » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:10 am

Apparently Accent has some Bergman releases on the way. I wonder how they'll stack up against the Criterions, MGMs and Tartans.

devlinnn

#2 Post by devlinnn » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:02 am

You may want to turn this into an Accent thread. Last month's release of 'A Heart in Winter' had a divine transfer at a very reasonalble price (AU$24.95). Watched in 5 times already over the past couple of weeks with a bottle of gin always at the ready.

Lino

#3 Post by Lino » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:16 am

flixyflox wrote:the Accent print of PERSONA includes the very quick few frames of an erection (possibly a drawing) in the opening montage. I had never seen it before (obviously frequently cut before the 70s 80s) and I don't know if it's in the MGM print. This edition also includes a shot I had never seen before of Liv Ullman upside down in the ELektra makeup in CU in the late scene when Bibi quits the beachhouse. Again never seen before.
They both are in the MGM print.

King of Kong

#4 Post by King of Kong » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:04 pm

Annie Mall wrote:
flixyflox wrote:the Accent print of PERSONA includes the very quick few frames of an erection (possibly a drawing) in the opening montage. I had never seen it before (obviously frequently cut before the 70s 80s) and I don't know if it's in the MGM print. This edition also includes a shot I had never seen before of Liv Ullman upside down in the ELektra makeup in CU in the late scene when Bibi quits the beachhouse. Again never seen before.
They both are in the MGM print.
The erection pic is in the Tartan, but the Upside-down Elektra one? I can't remember...

Anyway, I'm happy I bought the Tartan Persona - I wouldn't have wanted to wait another year...

artfilmfan

#5 Post by artfilmfan » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:00 am

devlinnn wrote:Last month's release of 'A Heart in Winter' had a divine transfer at a very reasonalble price (AU$24.95).
Where can it be purchased online (safely)?

artfilmfan

#6 Post by artfilmfan » Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:14 pm

flixyflox, thanks!

Anonymous

#7 Post by Anonymous » Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:55 pm

THE INNOCENTS (AV Channel, May 30)

Lino

#8 Post by Lino » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:47 pm

Mister Zob wrote:THE INNOCENTS (AV Channel, May 30)
OMG! It's really true!

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/779661

About time, mate!

Gordon

#9 Post by Gordon » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:27 pm

THE INNOCENTS (AV Channel, May 30)
Yeah, I heard about this and have pre-ordered it from Ezy. Amazing surprise. THe BFI apparently now own the British rights to the film and a new print is to make the rounds this year, followed by a DVD! But the R4 has a nice price and have been aching to to see this film in OAR for a long time, now.
Last edited by Gordon on Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous

#10 Post by Anonymous » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:03 am

Gordon McMurphy wrote:THe BFI apparently now own the British rights to the film and a new print is to make the rounds this year, followed by a DVD!
Opening now owns the rights for France. I guess Fox decided to license out this title... What about a Criterion release for R1, then ? Unless Fox US kept it for their Studio Classics collection...

Gordon

#11 Post by Gordon » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:37 am

A Criterion of The Innocents would be a gift from the Gods! I hope it happens, although, I'm sure Fox will keep for themselves in R1. It's an amazing film and for years, its absence on DVD has perplexed me.

devlinnn

#12 Post by devlinnn » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:25 pm

Tokyo Story, released by AV Channel (R4), 15th June.

Features
* Tokyo Ga
* I Lived, But...
* Talking with Ozu
* Photo Gallery
* Trailer

All on one disc, supposedly.

devlinnn

#13 Post by devlinnn » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:57 pm

Will this be like the again-postponed LA CHINOISE with two hours of extras?
Well, all this film adds up to over six hours. Who knows....

King of Kong

#14 Post by King of Kong » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:55 pm

devlinnn wrote:Tokyo Story, released by AV Channel (R4), 15th June.

Features
* Tokyo Ga
* I Lived, But...
* Talking with Ozu
* Photo Gallery
* Trailer

All on one disc, supposedly.
What is this?!

Then again, it all boils down to how the transfer stacks up... Is there a chance that AV Channel licenced this from Criterion? It has the extras (would the Dresser commentary be included), plus the Wenders doco! And I've just purchased the Criterion!

zedz

#15 Post by zedz » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:41 pm

I believe they're reprocessing everything as Pixelvision so they can fit it on a single disc.

King of Kong

#16 Post by King of Kong » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:18 am

A review for the AV Channel Region 4 edition of The Leopard:

http://www.dvd.net.au/review.cgi?review_id=5142

solent

#17 Post by solent » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:51 am

Just what or who is AV Channel? Oz classics by Weir & Beresford are from Umbrella Video and Foreign classics like LA CHINOISE & THE LEOPARD are from Madman Video. AV Channel seem to be the distributors of these films in Australia not the producers or licencers.

Are more Criterion-treated epics to come out in R4?

devlinnn

#18 Post by devlinnn » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:30 am

Are more Criterion-treated epics to come out in R4?
* Down by Law (15th June, extras seem to be the same as the Criterion) - plus 5 more Jarmusch titles throught the rest of the year (Night on Earth and Permanaent Vacation among them)
* I Vitelloni and Il Bidone (15th Junes, bare boned)
* Hal Hartley titles Simple Men and The Book of Life (15th June)
* Kuroswawa's Scandal from 1950 (15th June)
* Samurai 1: Musashi Miyamoto (June 15th - boxset later in the year?)
* Keaton's The General (25th May) - 2-discs, port of the French set
* Allegro non Tropo (25th May)
* Red Beard (25th May, bare bone)
* Skippy: The Complete First Season - 7-disc set
* The Naked Bunyip - hopefully un-cut, with bunyips removed (if you know what I mean!?!)

King of Kong

#19 Post by King of Kong » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:47 am

Don't forget Tokyo Story.

I'll keep an eye out for the Jarmusch titles. I already have the MGM Strangers In Paradise disc - it's a brilliant film, though I think they could've souped up the DVD a little - all we got was a piddly 10-minute making-of without sound.

Rufus T. Firefly

#20 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:19 am

solent wrote:Just what or who is AV Channel? Oz classics by Weir & Beresford are from Umbrella Video and Foreign classics like LA CHINOISE & THE LEOPARD are from Madman Video. AV Channel seem to be the distributors of these films in Australia not the producers or licencers.
Madman is the parent company. They own Madman Entertainment, Madman Cinema, Eastern Eye, Madman Sports and AV Channel. AV Channel is their distribution arm.

AV Channel also distribute for several independent labels, of which Umbrella is one.

devlinnn

#21 Post by devlinnn » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:52 am

Just gotta love those tax laws!

solent

#22 Post by solent » Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:56 am

I thank you all for your explanations. It seems that some of you have looked into Oz distribution most carefully. One thing is certain: more foreign titles have come out in R4 in the last year than in the years DVD has been available.

My latest foreign find was a 2 1/2 hour DVD of TV material by the great Jacques Brel. [BREL VOL. 1] It seems to be avaialble in PAL regions only. There are 2 more volumes and they are highly recommended to those who love French songwriting. Move over Monsieur Dylan! I found it in an Adelaide music store and it is listed on Ezy DVD as well.

King of Kong

#23 Post by King of Kong » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:53 am

A positive review for the Region 4 La Strada:

http://www.dvd.net.au/review.cgi?review_id=5143

squarefoot

#24 Post by squarefoot » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:30 pm

According to EZYDVD, Accent are releasing L'Argent & Triumph of Will on June 17. (Also Bear Cub which I havent heard of)

Rufus T. Firefly

#25 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:43 pm

squarefoot wrote:According to EZYDVD, Accent are releasing L'Argent & Triumph of Will on June 17. (Also Bear Cub which I havent heard of)
Accent will be releasing TRIAL OF JOAN OF ARC in May, and I have heard that there will be two more Bressons following L'ARGENT, being AU HASARD BALTHAZAR and MOUCHETTE.

Also on the cards for this year are HIROSHIMA MON AMOUR, SANS SOLEIL, VIVRE SA VIE and a few others.