New Australian DVD and BD Releases

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Rufus T. Firefly

#26 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:41 am

No, I only asked them what the other Bressons were that they were releasing.

swingo

#27 Post by swingo » Thu May 05, 2005 9:11 am

flixyflox wrote:Claire Denis' wonderful TROUBLE EVERY DAY - a week late but worth every minute!

Basically a port of the Tartan R2 (which is a port of the French Studio Canal.) This transfer doesn't have the Denis commentary track (merde!) but the PQ is wonderful:

anamorphic 1.85, DD 5:1 audio, (and gorgeous photography by Denis' house DP Agnes Godard.)

At 28 AUD (JB) I suppose it's a draw with the Tartan but maybe Shock video are worth supporting - they have also released (or about to) Harry Kumel's DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS, with the sublime Delphine Seyrig (also worth buying.)

This really is a very fine movie - does anyone else anywhere on the forum share my enthusiasm for Denis??

Trouble Every Day is a great film, which I prefer to Nenette et Boni, I have the mexican edition of Trouble Every Day and it looks pretty good, I gave Gary a copy of it, perhaps we can check out the comparisons but my guess is that the australian edition is way better.

Flixy, I have a sense that this movie was made with S16, and yes, the cinematography is great, the grain is 'fine' as it was with lower ASA (?).

Axel.

swingo

#28 Post by swingo » Thu May 05, 2005 11:30 pm

flixyflox wrote:Checking imdb the gauge is 35mm. As far as I'm aware all her Arte produced features are 35mm. (I confess I don't notice any particular graininess in the print.)
My mistake flixy, I ment by saying it is grainless and fine film, perhaps due to a lower ASA on the film.

Something you might get with the new Kodak Vision 2 -100 ASA- which is a beauty to film with.

Axel.

zedz

#29 Post by zedz » Fri May 06, 2005 12:42 am

flixyflox wrote: This really is a very fine movie - does anyone else anywhere on the forum share my enthusiasm for Denis??
Absolutely. One of the handful of truly great contemporary filmmakers (and Agnes Godard is one of the great contemporary cinematographers). Happy to contribute to a thread celebrating her work!

Abulafia

#30 Post by Abulafia » Wed May 25, 2005 5:31 am

Tokyo Story, released by AV Channel (R4), 15th June.

Features
* Tokyo Ga
* I Lived, But...
* Talking with Ozu
* Photo Gallery
* Trailer

*****bye bye Tokyo Ga feature according to the Avchannel website*****

Hardly surprising, however added is Happy Together, 20th July

Features
* 'buenos Aires Zero Degree' - Making Of Documentary By Kwan Pun Leung And Amos Lee
* Audio Commentary By Stephen Teo
* Essay On Wong Kar Wai By Janice Tong (phd)
* Theatrical Trailer
* Director And Cast Filmographies.

Lets see how long these features last.

King of Kong

#31 Post by King of Kong » Wed May 25, 2005 6:04 am

Abulafia wrote: *****bye bye Tokyo Ga feature according to the Avchannel website*****
Seemed a little too good to be true in the first place. Still squashing all that onto a single disc can result in nasty compression artefects - see Av Channel's Studio Ghibli titles for proof.

King of Kong

#32 Post by King of Kong » Wed May 25, 2005 6:28 am

flixyflox wrote:Reckon!!
They made a dog's breakfast of Nausicaa. Looks like I'll be shelling out for the Disney copy.

solent

#33 Post by solent » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:35 am

In case anyone missed this 2 of the early Scorsese films [ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HERE & WHO'S THAT KNOCKING] are being released by Warners [under $15 AUD] on June the 8th. Why MEAN STREETS is missing from this release is anyone's guess. These appear to be identical to the R1 versions replete with commentary & a featurette.

The LA CHINOISE DVD from Madman is OK - despite the high price (typical of our underpopulated country with its small percentage of art freaks]. The commentary is bearable but the colours are less intense than they should be. I wonder if more Oz Godard is on the way.

devlinnn

#34 Post by devlinnn » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:01 am

After Hours also Solent, all at $14.95 rrp!

The recent release of The Innocents is surprising very pleasing on the eyes and ears. Good scope print, uncut.

(I'd argue about La Chinoise with a yack track for $30 being high priced. What about the barebone Kurosawa's for $35!?)

King of Kong

#35 Post by King of Kong » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:31 pm

It's not exactly new, but has anyone here bought/viewed Transit Films/AV Channel's Metropolis release?

From the sound of things it should be a little like the R1 Kino disc - but with the same problems - eg, ghosting?

Rufus T. Firefly

#36 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:44 am

King of Kong wrote:It's not exactly new, but has anyone here bought/viewed Transit Films/AV Channel's Metropolis release?
There's a review here. It's a port of the R2, so no ghosting.

King of Kong

#37 Post by King of Kong » Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:56 am

Archie Leach wrote:
King of Kong wrote:It's not exactly new, but has anyone here bought/viewed Transit Films/AV Channel's Metropolis release?
There's a review here. It's a port of the R2, so no ghosting.
Awesome. Thanks.

Subbuteo

#38 Post by Subbuteo » Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:13 pm

flixyflox wrote:Last drops of the jetlag. I forgot to mention The General is of course a port of the French MK2 disc, and the first release outside France - at a fiercely competitive price.
Its also available in the UK, lovely, lovely print, nice packaging also...

devlinnn

#39 Post by devlinnn » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:18 pm

Tokyo Story, released by AV Channel (R4), 15th June.
Not anymore. Pushed back to Feb. '06.

devlinnn

#40 Post by devlinnn » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:33 pm

Unpreviewed so far:

Godard's La Chinoise, Todd Haynes Poison and
My Architect
Flixy, is the Todd Haynes R4? If so, where from?

ben d banana

#41 Post by ben d banana » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:55 am

The Fox Lorber Poison is typically dreadful. In fact moreso than usual, but it does have a commentary. If there's good news in Australia it would likely spread, so my fingers are crossed.

King of Kong

#42 Post by King of Kong » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:46 pm

Has anyone bought/viewed the R4 Leopard yet? From what I heard, the print (the original Italian version) is identical to the Criterion edition's, but that's all I know at this time. Is the English-language version worth having anyway?

devlinnn

#43 Post by devlinnn » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:38 pm

Christ, if R4 artwork wasn't bad enough, we now have to put up with new classification artwork on all releases from next month. These mothers are HUGE - just look at the upcoming Dead Man for an example. Are we blind?

Unlike the previous classification specs, these are not transparent and are all bright, different colours. ('R' and 'X' in evil black, 'G' green, naturally.)

King of Kong

#44 Post by King of Kong » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:11 am

Hmm, another R4 release of Dead Man. Let's hope this one's an improvement over the other.

I wonder how their Down By Law will stack up with the Criterion?

King of Kong

#45 Post by King of Kong » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:57 am

OK, I saw a R4 Lilja 4-Ever when I went out yesterday. Has anyone seen/commented on this?

devlinnn

#46 Post by devlinnn » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:15 pm

From the OLFC

"Why change?
Research conducted by the OFLC, as well as feedback it has received from consumers and industry, has consistently indicated that the old classification markings often suffered from being hard to find or hard to read because they were too small or not obvious enough against the background. Research also revealed that there was low awareness that computer games carried classifications, low understanding of the meanings of M and MA 15+ and low usage and understanding of consumer advice. The new classifications are designed to address these issues and make classification information easier to find and use when you are making entertainment decisions for you and/or your family and friends."

So Flixy, feel safe in the knowledge that the children of Queensland farmers will never get daddy's black-coloured, X-rated material mixed up with bright yellow, PG rated Harry Potter ever again.

Solaris

#47 Post by Solaris » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:58 am

More R4 Upcoming Releases -

6 Disc Herzog Collection (AV Channel)
The Enigma of Kasper Hauser (AV Channel)
Cronenberg's Crash (Villiage Roadshow)
2 Disc La Dolce Vita Special Edition (AV Channel)

devlinnn

#48 Post by devlinnn » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:28 am

6 Disc Herzog Collection (AV Channel)
Avoid, avoid. AV look to be using their old, dreadful, English dubbed copy of Aguirre, Wrath of God instead of providing the original German.

Caligula
Carthago delenda est

#49 Post by Caligula » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:22 am

Solaris wrote: 2 Disc La Dolce Vita Special Edition (AV Channel)
When is this release due?
Any info available?

King of Kong

#50 Post by King of Kong » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:44 pm

You wouldn't have happened to have viewed the AV Channel La Strada, flixy?
DVD.net gave it a positive review, though I've grown a little leery of AV/Madman, what with their butchering of the Studio Gibli catalogue...