Ozu Yasujiro on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Steven H

Ozu Yasujiro on DVD

#1 Post by Steven H » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:56 am

Ozu DVDs from Panorama: Ozu's Equinox Flower & Tokyo Twilight

yesasia.com is now listing this as available. I'm very excited, lackluster editions though they may be, this bodes well for more releases.
Last edited by Steven H on Fri May 13, 2005 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#2 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:33 am

Steven H wrote:Ozu DVDs from Panorama: Ozu's Equinox Flower & Tokyo Twilight
Well, I suspect (based on "Late Autumn") that Panorama will at least get the colors right. If only all their Ozu releases could be as decent as this.

Speaking of Panorama -- I can recommend their release of Somai's "Wait and See" (Ah, haru). Not a great masterpiece, perhaps, but an interesting and entertaining film -- sort of a tribute to Yoji Yamada. Ironically, the young director making this tribute would soon be dead, while his mentor still is working away.

yoshimori

#3 Post by yoshimori » Fri May 13, 2005 10:37 am

... and now Panorama gives us TOKYO TWILIGHT too.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#4 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri May 13, 2005 11:02 am

yoshimori wrote:... and now Panorama gives us TOKYO TWILIGHT too.
Tremendous news! This is (IMHO) a must-have Ozu film .

Steven H

#5 Post by Steven H » Fri May 13, 2005 11:59 am

yoshimori wrote:Panorama gives us TOKYO TWILIGHT too.
As much as I would like to own this, I suppose I should really be patient and wait for the Tartan release later this year. Then again, it's cheap and there's no telling if the Tartan will be continuously delayed like the second Ozu box.

This is easily one of my favorite Ozu films and a *must* see for those who loved Late Spring, Tokyo Story, and Late Autumn. For anyone familiar with those films the ending of Tokyo Twilight is like a slap in the face (in an unforgettably good way, that is).

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#6 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri May 13, 2005 12:08 pm

Steven H wrote:This is easily one of my favorite Ozu films and a *must* see for those who loved Late Spring, Tokyo Story, and Late Autumn.
It seems to me that, on average, the Panorama releases (barring Autumn Afternoon with its hopeless subs) -- are better deals than the UK ones. The screen shots from the Tartan releases don't look all that good to me.

Steven H

#7 Post by Steven H » Fri May 13, 2005 12:26 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:Panorama releases (barring Autumn Afternoon with its hopeless subs) -- are better deals than the UK ones. The screen shots from the Tartan releases don't look all that good to me.
They don't look spectacular, but I didn't notice artifacts (which I get on the Panorama Ozus) and they look much more detailed. I think they average out to being about 8$ more a piece, which is probably worth it. It's nice to have an option though.

artfilmfan

#8 Post by artfilmfan » Wed May 25, 2005 7:19 pm

yoshimori wrote:Panorama gives us TOKYO TWILIGHT too.
Great news on the Panorama release of "Tokyo Twilight". I hope the picture quality is better than that of Panorama's "Early Spring". Like "Early Spring", this film is longer than 2 hours. We'll see ...

One one has mentioned this yet; but I think the English subtitles of the Panorama "Equinox Flower" are the most complete yet. It seems like they made an effort to translate just about every sentence of the dialogue.

Panorama's DVD of "Tokyo Twilight": Here are a few words about this release.

The picture quality is better than their "Early Spring". In fact, it's a lot better. It's about the same as their "Green Tea Over Rice", maybe a little better. Good and solid but at times not very sharp, especially for the medium range shots.

The English subtitles are typical Paronama. I'd say that they are comparable to those on their "Late Autumn" DVD (which are not too bad at all). I must point out one thing, though. Reading the subtitles on this "Tokyo Twilight" DVD clarified a few points about the film which were not clear to me after watching it for the first time last year. For instance, it wasn't clear to me why the mother left the family. One can deduce the reason why she left from reading between the lines when one watches this DVD. For that alone, I'd say I'm happy with the subtitles.

So far so good, eh? You knew the "but" was coming, didn't you? :) Yes, this DVD contains some "oddities". There are some instances of frame shifting. And there are "glitches" in the picture. I first noticed these "glitches" on their "Equinox Flower" DVD; but, it happened only several times on that disc. On "Tokyo Twilight", it happens a lot, especially during the first half of the film. If you have the Korean DVD of "Wanee and Junah", you probably know exactly what I'm talking about. During the change over from one scene to the next, you'll notice the glitch in the picture. I have a DVD player that can play back the film at 1/16th of its normal speed. I used this slow speed to investigate what really happens during "the glitch". What happens is this: there is a distortion of the image somewhere in the top 1/3 of the picture. The glitch doesn't happen everytime there is a change in scene (or shot from a different angle) on the "Tokyo Twilight" disc, but it happens often enough to be annoying.

The bottom line is I'm happy to have this DVD (at this low price). And should the Tartan release is delayed (say until the year 2020) and Criterion never release this film in this lifetime, I can still be happy until at least 2020 :)

zedz

#9 Post by zedz » Wed May 25, 2005 8:11 pm

artfilmfan wrote:Panorama's DVD of "Tokyo Twilight": Here are a few words about this release.
Thanks for the information, artfilmfan. This makes me wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to have a thread that tries to define the best available DVDs of all of Ozu's films, with and without English subs, starting with a master list that can be continually updated.

We can also note caveats for specific editions (e.g. colour issues with Criterions).

I'm happy to manage such a thread if other people are interested, but I don't have the knowledge / collection to provide the raw information.

artfilmfan

#10 Post by artfilmfan » Wed May 25, 2005 9:40 pm

zedz wrote:I'm happy to manage such a thread if other people are interested, but I don't have the knowledge / collection to provide the raw information.
Someone on this forum put together such a list about a year and a half ago. Unfortunately, we lost that list because the server crashed (or something like that happened). Or maybe it's still at the old forum. I thought that was a very helpful list. I don't know how Matt and others who help run this forum feel about such a list. But if such a list is started, I'll be glad to do my part to contribute. And the source for the "raw information" should start with MEK who's probably (probably? what an understatement!) most knowledgeable about the various releases. (I have the Japanese boxsets, for example, but I haven't watched many of the discs to really study the quality).

Rufus T. Firefly

#11 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Wed May 25, 2005 11:56 pm

artfilmfan wrote:What happens is this: there is a distortion of the image somewhere in the top 1/3 of the picture. The glitch doesn't happen everytime there is a change in scene (or shot from a different angle) on the "Tokyo Twilight" disc, but it happens often enough to be annoying.
It sounds like the print material must have bulged slightly in the telecine machine each time it reached an edit, causing this distortion at the top of the frame. That's my theory, anyway.

Steven H

Panorama

#12 Post by Steven H » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:24 am

More Ozu from Panorama: There Was a Father and Passing Fancy

What a surprise! These are the last titles I would think would surface in the Panorama Ozu series. If they're using the same transfers from the shochiku box, Passing Fancy looks *excellent* and There Was A Father looks just "ok." Though (and this is very doubtful) they might be utilizing the new print from Cannes for the latter. Here are links for There Was a Father and Passing Fancy at the Panorama webpage.

On a personal note, these are two of my favorite Ozu films. Passing Fancy is just perfect, funny as hell. I could watch it, with or without subtitles, over and over. There was a father might be great *just* for the shared onscreen time by Chishu Ryu and Sakamoto Takeshi. I couldn't find any etailers for these releases yet, but will post when I do (someone else will probably beat me to it.)

This is just great news. As long as they're not *horrible* I'll be ok.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#13 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:36 am

Steven H wrote:More Ozu from Panorama: There Was a Father and Passing Fancy
Great news. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

backstreetsbackalright

#14 Post by backstreetsbackalright » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:39 am

Steven H wrote:Ozu DVDs from Panorama: Ozu's Equinox Flower & Tokyo Twilight
Glad to see this. I didn't catch Equinox Flower in the recent Seattle retrospective, since I'd seen it before on video. But I've since been informed that the video copy really isn't the way to see it. I guess I'll hafta put together a yesasia order.
Steven H wrote:More Ozu from Panorama: There Was a Father
The film print of There Was a Father that played in Seattle earlier this year was pretty roughed-up. Seems like a clean-up of this movie could be quite an undertaking. Great movie, though.

King of Kong

#15 Post by King of Kong » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:45 am

backstreetsbackalright wrote:
Steven H wrote:More Ozu from Panorama: There Was a Father
The film print of There Was a Father that played in Seattle earlier this year was pretty roughed-up. Seems like a clean-up of this movie could be quite an undertaking. Great movie, though.
I'd much rather see these films released by Criterion. I mean, good on Panorama for getting them released, but I've been waiting ages for a new batch from the guys at Criterion...

Steven H

#16 Post by Steven H » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:52 am

Trust me Michael... I'm crossing every finger I have.
King of Kong wrote:I'd much rather see these films released by Criterion. I mean, good on Panorama for getting them released, but I've been waiting ages for a new batch from the guys at Criterion...
Of course it would be great if Criterion released this, but you can wish in one hand, and do you-know-what in the other, know what I mean? I just hope Panorama doesn't do you-know-what in my hand *for me*.

Besides, even if Criterion does get around to an Ozu silents box (which I can't imagine too many people buying, as it would probably be very expensive with relatively obscure films) I doubt they'd get to There Was a Father.
amateurist wrote:(1) Any ideas as to whether the DVD of "Passing Fancy" includes a musical soundtrack?
It just says "silent" on the website, so I doubt they spent the extra money on a score. The shochiku version is silent only, so I'm pretty sure this one will be as wel.
(2) Where do board members purchase Panorama DVDs (for shipping to the US)? I used to buy them in New York's Chinatown, but I haven't had a chance to visit New York for a while.
I get them on yesasia.com, which as soon as they're listed on that site I'll post a follow up message with links. No clue about the Ozu set. Buyer Beware.

Panorama just added What Did the Lady Forget? as well. I wonder if there will be more this week?

Tim

#17 Post by Tim » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:38 am

Where do board members purchase Panorama DVDs (for shipping to the US)?
I've had good luck getting mine from DDDHouse. There Was a Father and Passing Fancy are included in the New Releases there at the moment. What Did the Lady Forget isn't listed yet.

Steven H

#18 Post by Steven H » Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:32 pm

Tim wrote:
Where do board members purchase Panorama DVDs (for shipping to the US)?
I've had good luck getting mine from DDDHouse. There Was a Father and Passing Fancy are included in the New Releases there at the moment. What Did the Lady Forget isn't listed yet.
Thanks for the link. DDDhouse.com does have Passing Fancy, There Was a Father, and What Did the Lady Forget? listed. Unfortunately, I could only find There Was a Father at yesasia.com.

Interesting that Passing Fancy is listed as having "dolby digital" audio. If Panorama *has* provided a score, I'm mostly morbidly curious as to what they've cooked up.

According to Panorama's Website, we can now add The Only Son to the list.

Wow, huh? I'm crossing my fingers for Dragnet Girl (I need to see this with subtitles.)

Gary Tooze

#19 Post by Gary Tooze » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:19 am

Our review of the Tartan Boxset (on DVDBeaver) compares a capture from the Panorama "Green Tea" and we have also reveiwed the Panorama Tokyo Twilight.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/

...and Ozu is the Director of the Week...

peerpee
not perpee

#20 Post by peerpee » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:53 pm

PASSING FANCY and THERE WAS A FATHER are each 4.4GB DVD5, no CSS, R0 (regardless of the back covers saying R3).

TOKYO TWILIGHT is 6.7GB DVD9 (jaw drops!), no CSS, but *R3*.

yoshimori

#21 Post by yoshimori » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:04 am

Not from panorama, but Raro Video lists Ozu's Munekata Sisters as coming - date TBA.

Tim

#22 Post by Tim » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:49 am

Story of Floating Weeds is listed among the new releases at DDDHouse

artfilmfan

#23 Post by artfilmfan » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:59 pm

Having already released "A Story of Floating Weeds" and "Passing Fancy", I think the Panorama release of An Inn in Tokyo is just around the corner.

I'm so glad to have these subtitled releases of Passing Fancy and What Did the Lady Forget? The subtitles on these two are good (in the Panorama way). The only exception is in "Passing Fancy" (around 87 minutes into the film) where one intertitle card was not translated. Setting aside print damages, the images look clear. I haven't checked the Japanese discs to compare, but there seems to be frequent frame shaking on these two Panorama releases. But, that's not a complaint. It's just something that I observed. (7/11/05 edit: The audio on "Lady" is weak, by the way).

Thanks Panorama! How about releasing A Hen in the Wind and I Was Born, But ... soon?

There's no audio track on "Passing Fancy". We'll have to wait for the Criterion release for that. But I'm tired of waiting for the Criterion releases of Ozu's films.
Last edited by artfilmfan on Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steven H

#24 Post by Steven H » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:04 pm

artfilmfan wrote:I'm so glad to have these subtitled releases of Passing Fancy and What Did the Lady Forget? The subtitles on these two are good (in the Panorama way). The only exception is in "Passing Fancy" (around 87 minutes into the film) where one intertitle card was not translated.
Thanks for the report. Is there an audio track on Passing Fancy? *Any* more Ozu from Panorama would be welcome.

Gary Tooze

#25 Post by Gary Tooze » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:44 am

There Was a Father

This is the best Ozu film I have seen.

After a couple of viewings of Ozu's There Was a Father, I am happy to announce it my favorite of his films exceeding Late Spring, Tokyo Story and Tokyo Twilight. The trouble is that the print the Panorama DVD was taken from was in horrible shape (I mean bad!).

I used a friends computer to get captures (mine rejected it) but even then the disc was acting flunky so I couldn't nab all I wanted.

Can anyone tell me if they have seen this theatrically at any of the Ozu retrospectives and if it was better ? It really would be a disappointment if the only print available was this one the Panorama was transferred from because it would take a very extensive restoration which might only bring it up to luke-warm watchability - so I doubt anyone will touch it.

It is possibly his most simplistic narrative, again dealing with familial communication - this time a father and son. All the noted Ozu signatures are here with an early shot of derricked hydro-electric lines and a few trains - shots of solitary smoking characters and camaraderie drinking of alcohol. I enjoyed Ozu regular Chishu Ryu and his relative youthful appearance. This is a bit unique from Ozu's other films in that there are an abundance of static shots (almost like postcards) that pop up usually without musical accompaniment (or very light traditional music audio). The film is so expressive with strong overtones of love and respect filling many scenes. There Was a Father is an extremely quiet, subtle and peaceful film.

Best,
Gary