German Lars von Trier - Europa Trilogy 4-DVD box set

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
4LOM

#1 Post by 4LOM » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:08 pm

German label Legend Home Entertainment will release a box set with Lars von Triers �Europa Trilogy� on 06/06/05. It contains "The Element of Crime / Forbrydelsens element" [DK 1984], "Epidemic" [DK 1988] and "Europa" [DK / S / F / GER / CH 1991].

- 4-Disc Digipack
- Booklet
- Brand new transfers (16:9 anamorphic) for all three films
- Bonus disc with additional interviews and documentaries

DISC 1: Element of Crime
- The original behind-the-scenes-documentary Innenstadt Europa � About Lars von Trier
- Brand new documentary Anecdotes from Trier�s ELEMENT OF CRIME with crew and cast interviews
- Exclusive easter egg: Lars von Trier�s short film "Nocturne� [DK / USA 1980]
- Original trailer
- Audio commentary #1: Director Lars von Trier, director of photography Tom Elling and editor Tomas Gislason
- Audio commentary #2: Von Trier expert Peter Schepelern and author/director Stig Bj�rkman

DISC 2: Epidemic
- Brand new documentary Anecdotes from Trier�s EPIDEMIC with crew and cast interviews
- Exclusive easter egg: Lars von Trier�s short film �Befrielsesbilleder� [DK 1982]
- Audio commentary: Director Lars von Trier and cast member Niels V�rsel
- Trailer

DISC 3: Europa
- The original behind-the-scenes-documentary The Making of EUROPA
- Brand new documentary Anecdotes from Trier�s EUROPA with crew and cast interviews
- Trailer
- Audio commentary #1: Director Lars von Trier, cast members Jean Marc-Barr and Udo Kier
- Audio commentary #2: Director Lars von Trier and �roducer Peter Aalb�k Jensen

DISC 4: Exclusive bonus material
- Brand new interview A conversation with Lars von Trier (Discussion with director Lars von Trier and journalist Bo Green Jensen)
- Danish 1991 TV-documentary Trier�s Elements (tbc)
- Danish 1991 TV-documentary Portrait of Lars von Trier (tbc)
- French short documentary A Day with Peter about producer Peter Aalb�k Jensen
- German TV-documentary Im Laboratorium des Lars von Trier
- Lars von Trier: Trailer
- Europa promo (tbc)
- Featurette EUROPA - The faecal location
- Featurette More Anecdotes from Europa-Trilogy
- Original documentary Tom Elling: Storyboarding ELEMENT OF CRIME
- The emotional music script for EUROPA: Composer Joachim Holbek about the music
- E-Trilogy picture sequence with music from Joachim Holbek
- Trailer

Audio tracks / subtitles:
EUROPA:
- English audio
- German audio
- Optional German subtitles

ELEMENT OF CRIME:
- English audio

EPIDEMIC:
- English audio

Cover artwork

Menue #1

Menue #2

Oedipax

#2 Post by Oedipax » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:45 pm

Sounds promising, but will the small amount of German in Europa go unsubtitled (as far as English is concerned)? From what I recall it's just at the beginning of the movie, but maybe there's more spread throughout.

Miguel

#3 Post by Miguel » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:14 pm

This seems to be part of Zentropa's "Lars Von Trier Collection" (which already includes releases of Riget and Breaking the Waves.) I wouldn't be surprised if a Danish release with multiple subtitle options is on the way. Maybe any of the Danes on the board know more?

dvdane

#4 Post by dvdane » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:30 am

Legend Home Entertainment has bought the rights to release this box in Germany. The producer is Electric Parc, Zentropa's DVD company. They will release the Danish box in late May, and around the same time as the German, perhaps a little later, a French box, a Dutch box and an English box will be released aswell.

For all those in Australia, Access has bought the rights for the Australian release of the box, which should be released late summer.

The box will not be released in Canada or the US, because of copyright conflicts and ownership rights.

All prints have been newly scanned into new digital masters. It is not HD scans, as it not gave them any thing added in details and sharpness, so they just did "digi-scans". Each film will be presented in the Original Aspect Ratio, that is 1.66:1 for Epidemic and 2.35:1 for Europa. They couldn't remember is Element of Crime was 1.66 or 1.85, as I spoke to them, but they were certain that it was the OAR. Anamorphic encoded of course as well.

All DVDs in the box will have English subtitles on all features, including trailers.

As such, each box set will be 100% identical, except for subtitles, where the French will have added French subtitles, the Dutch Dutch, the German German and so on.

The price for the Danish box will be Dkr: 299,00. That is aprx €40.

Im expecting to review it early May.

Lino

#5 Post by Lino » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:59 am

Are we to expect the same treatment for the Golden Heart Trilogy - Breaking the Waves, The Idiots and Dancing in the Dark - somewhere down the line?

Keaton

#6 Post by Keaton » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:49 am

Annie Mall wrote:Are we to expect the same treatment for the Golden Heart Trilogy - Breaking the Waves, The Idiots and Dancing in the Dark - somewhere down the line?
Not in Germany, Dancer in the Dark and Breaking the Waves are on dvd a long time from different labels.

Regards,

Dennis :)

dvdane

#7 Post by dvdane » Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:47 pm

Are we to expect the same treatment for the Golden Heart Trilogy - Breaking the Waves, The Idiots and Dancing in the Dark - somewhere down the line?
Not for a few years. Both "Dancer in the Dark" (2001 release) and "Breaking the Waves" (2003 release) are currently owned by Sandrew Metronome in Denmark, and ownership will run out 5 years after aquisition.

The current 2-Disc SE of "Breaking the Waves" was produced by Electric Parc, as was "Dogville" by Nordisk.

Lino

#8 Post by Lino » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:48 pm

Anyone got this already? Any reviews?

thomega

#9 Post by thomega » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:04 pm

Annie Mall wrote:Anyone got this already? Any reviews?
Acording to Amazon.de, it's been delayed until June 27th.

Stig Helmer

#10 Post by Stig Helmer » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:10 pm

Here's how it looks...Great stuff:

dvdane

#11 Post by dvdane » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:57 am

Just got the press release fom Electric Parc today. The streetdate is now June 22. Price is Danish Kroner 299.

For special collectors, 10 numbered collectors limited editions has been produced. Each will come in a wood replica of the Zetropa sleepwagon from "Europa", with posters and stills from the three films, the press booklet from "Epidemic" and the interviewbook by Stig Björkman, and the box itself. All elements are signed by Lars von Trier.

Five of these boxes will be sold to highest bidder thru an auction on Lauritz, beginning July 8th and ending July 18th.

Cinéslob

#12 Post by Cinéslob » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:46 pm

Having pored over dvdane's excellent review at DVD Beaver, I must say that I'm almost giddy with excitement over this boxset. It's a damn shame that Laserdisken appears to be down, otherwise I would have ordered my own copy today. Still, something to look forward to all the same.

Oedipax

#13 Post by Oedipax » Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:39 pm

Is there any word on laserdisken? I can't really figure out what their front page says now, but at any rate the site seems to be down at the moment. Just wondering when it's coming back.

dvdane

#14 Post by dvdane » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:34 am

It just says, that the site currently is down, due to technical problems, which they work 24/7 to correct.

If you want to order, simply email them.

Anonymous

#15 Post by Anonymous » Sat May 27, 2006 6:27 am

I have two questions about this box set:

1) I am a little hard of hearing. Are there English subtitles even for sections spoken in English?

2) What are the films like? Is 'Element Of Crime' too derivative (of Tarkovsky), for example?

I have read some reviews and they seem mixed to say the least. I would therefore very much value further opinions.

So far I have only seen 'Riget 1 &2', 'Breaking The Waves' and 'The Idiots', all of which were impressive. So I am in the process of finding out more about Von Trier's more obscure and more famous movies.

Nadsat

#16 Post by Nadsat » Sun May 28, 2006 3:49 pm

A Lump of Green Slime wrote:I am a little hard of hearing. Are there English subtitles even for sections spoken in English?
The English dialogue is not subtitled, only the non-english dialogue are subtitled in english when you choose the english subtitles.

justeleblanc

#17 Post by justeleblanc » Mon May 29, 2006 2:10 am

A Lump of Green Slime wrote:I have two questions about this box set:

1) I am a little hard of hearing. Are there English subtitles even for sections spoken in English?

2) What are the films like? Is 'Element Of Crime' too derivative (of Tarkovsky), for example?

I have read some reviews and they seem mixed to say the least. I would therefore very much value further opinions.

So far I have only seen 'Riget 1 &2', 'Breaking The Waves' and 'The Idiots', all of which were impressive. So I am in the process of finding out more about Von Trier's more obscure and more famous movies.
Of the three Europa (Zentropa) is my favorite. He uses an over-the-top style throughout most of the movie, and it has a great pay-off. Element isn't too terrible, though parts of it are pretty dry -- and no I didn't see too much Tarkovsky in the movie, but I'm not too familiar with the Soviet. Epidemic is worth watching but it's kind of a turkey. The director makes some pretty bold decisions that really don't work, and I think the overall premise is a little sloppy. Still, if you were impressed with his other works you should check out the box, the Europa alone is worth it.

Anonymous

#18 Post by Anonymous » Mon May 29, 2006 2:52 am

Thanks for the information. Sounds like it might be advisable to just buy Europa.

The Danish version of the box set is, incidentally, being sold by CD Wow for £21.99 (including postage). Kingdom 1 & 2 are £8.99 each (under the name Riget).