Martin Scorsese Presents Masterpieces of Polish Cinema

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
drdoros

Re: Martin Scorsese Presents Masterpieces of Polish Cinema

#201 Post by drdoros » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:21 pm

jsteffe wrote:That's good to hear. I finally received my copy--from Milestone, two days after I placed the order with them.
The power of Amy!

lady wakasa

#202 Post by lady wakasa » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:49 pm

Dennis - box came today. Thanks very very much.

I have been a bit MIA on the movie front the past few years, but am making my way back slowly put surely. This is the start.

drdoros

#203 Post by drdoros » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:53 pm

lady wakasa wrote:Dennis - box came today. Thanks very very much.

I have been a bit MIA on the movie front the past few years, but am making my way back slowly put surely. This is the start.
Glad to have you back!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#204 Post by swo17 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:26 pm

Milestone just got very limited quantities in of all three of these boxes again.

Oedipax

#205 Post by Oedipax » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:04 am

Super limited quantities of the three boxes are available again - with coupon code MASTERPIECES, you can get $50 off if you purchase all 3.

knives

#206 Post by knives » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:30 pm

jsteffe wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:15 am
The first time I viewed Man of Marble in college, I didn't have that context, but was still able to pick up on some of what Wajda was doing. To be sure, at that time the Solidarity party was in the papers. Regardless, I still found it a gripping experience, and it really sparked my interest in Eastern European cinema.

Not to denigrate Cleopatra (which I like), but Pharaoh has a lot more going for it thematically as a dissection of power. I can imagine that it resonated with Polish viewers at the time. It is FAR from being a big but empty spectacle. And it has more stylistic focus and expressiveness than Cleopatra. Many scenes are really beautifully staged. Arguably some elements (like some of the casting and dialogue) seem dated today, but I've found the film to reward repeat viewings.
I finally got to this and while I was wowed I'm not sure if I understood anything specific to Poland's situation or the Soviet Union unless Assyria is supposed to be read as a Russia standin.

chatterjees

#207 Post by chatterjees » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:50 pm

Does anybody know why the color of the 1st volume box is blue? Thanks!

knives

#208 Post by knives » Wed May 13, 2020 5:42 pm

Got to Constant Factor. While it is probably the weakest Zanussi I've yet seen due to how fast moving it was there's I lot I really loved. In particular his relationship with the nurse was fairly interesting for how it dealt with the good and bad his personality.

The film at large weirdly reminded me of Beinf There though our central electrician is a much more active participant in his own life. It's that sense of a constant force being a tool for exploring the interiors of others. I suppose that is also why I found the nurse the most compelling part as her character was the only other one who didn't react in one way to him.

karmajuice

#209 Post by karmajuice » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:37 pm

I haven't posted in ages, but I've got news that may interest some people here.

I intended to buy this set several years back. It had already sold out stateside, but there was a Polish site selling them. I had it bookmarked and I was saving up cash. But I checked one day and the site was down. I haven't seen the sets anywhere since, except for astronomical prices at resale outlets.

More recently, I'd bookmarked some Wajda discs at dvdmax, and when I checked the other day, lo and behold, all 3 sets were on sale - and for 399 złoty each (~$100 USD, cheaper than I'd ever seen them before). I jumped right on it, and I received the package pretty promptly. They appear to be legit - the boxes look great, pristine condition.

Unfortunately, I can't actually test the discs. I'm living abroad for several months and I don't have a Blu-ray player here, so I'll have to wait to watch them. But they look 100% legit to me. It's just hard to believe I found them in the wild so long after they went OOP.

Here's the page I bookmarked, with the 3 sets (and other assorted Wajda): https://www.dvdmax.pl/dvd/szukaj/2/294?filters[cat]=59
(As you can see on that page, they also seem to be selling the discs individually.)

Some caveats:

1. I'm not sure if dvdmax ships to the US. I tried to calculate shipping to the US using my old address (hoping to ship them to a friend or relative so I wouldn't have to haul them back in my luggage), and it said no shipping options available. But I didn't test it thoroughly, and I'm not familiar with dvdmax's policies, so I don't know if that's a fluke or standard for them. I got mine shipped to Spain, where I'm currently living (shipping cost ~$25). If they don't ship stateside, it may be worth checking out a forwarding service if anyone is really interested in nabbing these.

2. The discs are region B, according to the site (I can't find any region coding listed on the boxes). But they have English subtitles and all the written materials inside seems to be in English.

3. I don't know if they had surplus that they're finally distributing, or if a Polish company brought them back into print, so I have no idea what their stock is like. But I just checked, and Empik is also selling them (for a bit more than dvdmax): https://www.empik.com/kolekcja-martin-s ... 937,film-p

drdoros

#210 Post by drdoros » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:34 pm

This is all the work of our friends at DI Factory in Warsaw. They've been working hard to restore and bring out the best of Polish cinema.

Dennis
Milestone Films

MichaelB

Martin Scorsese Presents Masterpieces of Polish Cinema

#211 Post by MichaelB » Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:23 pm

I can confirm first hand (and on multiple occasions) that DVDMax definitely ships to the UK, so they’re clearly not averse to shipping abroad.

As for region coding, I’m not in a position to check right now, but I’ll be happy to when I’m back home in a couple of days’ time.

TMDaines

#212 Post by TMDaines » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:08 pm

karmajuice wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:37 pm

I intended to buy this set several years back. It had already sold out stateside, but there was a Polish site selling them. I had it bookmarked and I was saving up cash. But I checked one day and the site was down. I haven't seen the sets anywhere since, except for astronomical prices at resale outlets.

More recently, I'd bookmarked some Wajda discs at dvdmax, and when I checked the other day, lo and behold, all 3 sets were on sale - and for 399 złoty each (~$100 USD, cheaper than I'd ever seen them before). I jumped right on it, and I received the package pretty promptly. They appear to be legit - the boxes look great, pristine condition.

Unfortunately, I can't actually test the discs. I'm living abroad for several months and I don't have a Blu-ray player here, so I'll have to wait to watch them. But they look 100% legit to me. It's just hard to believe I found them in the wild so long after they went OOP.

Here's the page I bookmarked, with the 3 sets (and other assorted Wajda): https://www.dvdmax.pl/dvd/szukaj/2/294?filters[cat]=59
(As you can see on that page, they also seem to be selling the discs individually.)

Some caveats:

1. I'm not sure if dvdmax ships to the US. I tried to calculate shipping to the US using my old address (hoping to ship them to a friend or relative so I wouldn't have to haul them back in my luggage), and it said no shipping options available. But I didn't test it thoroughly, and I'm not familiar with dvdmax's policies, so I don't know if that's a fluke or standard for them. I got mine shipped to Spain, where I'm currently living (shipping cost ~$25). If they don't ship stateside, it may be worth checking out a forwarding service if anyone is really interested in nabbing these.

2. The discs are region B, according to the site (I can't find any region coding listed on the boxes). But they have English subtitles and all the written materials inside seems to be in English.

3. I don't know if they had surplus that they're finally distributing, or if a Polish company brought them back into print, so I have no idea what their stock is like. But I just checked, and Empik is also selling them (for a bit more than dvdmax): https://www.empik.com/kolekcja-martin-s ... 937,film-p
The Scorsese sets are so annoying as I only need three films from each boxset that have never been released elsewhere. They work out quite pricey at around £10 per film, completely barebones.

How did DVDMax package them? Did they mint or banged up? I might be tempted at some point to buy them and flip my existing Blu-rays.

ianthemovie

#213 Post by ianthemovie » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:44 pm

I had this set at one point (I've since sold it) and I'm fairly certain the discs were Region B-locked.

drdoros

#214 Post by drdoros » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:46 pm

The original sets were region-free.

karmajuice

#215 Post by karmajuice » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:36 pm

TMDaines wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:08 pm
karmajuice wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:37 pm

Some caveats:

The Scorsese sets are so annoying as I only need three films from each boxset that have never been released elsewhere. They work out quite pricey at around £10 per film, completely barebones.

How did DVDMax package them? Did they mint or banged up? I might be tempted at some point to buy them and flip my existing Blu-rays.
All three boxes are in mint condition. They packaged them each in individual boxes (clearly designed to hold the sets - they fit very snugly), and those were all in a larger package full of bubble wrap. (I ordered a few other Wajda discs, and they're also in perfect shape.)

I get the frustration over double dipping. In my case, I only own five of them, and all but one of those are DVDs, so it's a no-brainer.

Of course, now that Dennis mentioned DI-Factory, I gave them a look and saw that they put out a limited run Wojciech Has collector's set recently. So even though I just bought his two best-known films, I'm tempted to email them and ask about that. . .

MichaelB

#216 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:54 am

I did email them, and they blanked me. Has anyone had any more luck there?

karmajuice

#217 Post by karmajuice » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:39 am

I went ahead and tried shortly after posting that, but no word back yet.

It seems like they used a similar email-order system for the Masterpieces sets (based solely on their social media posts, which is about all I can find). So maybe the Has set will also end up at retail outlets eventually.

Would love more info if anyone has any, though.

djvaso

#218 Post by djvaso » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:07 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:54 am
Sorry I didn't understand who the email was referring to, di-factory or dvdmax? If it is di-factory then "Do you have any questions or want to place an order? Write to us: boxmsp@di-factory.com".

karmajuice

#219 Post by karmajuice » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:55 am

djvaso wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:07 pm
MichaelB wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:54 am
Sorry I didn't understand who the email was referring to, di-factory or dvdmax? If it is di-factory then "Do you have any questions or want to place an order? Write to us: boxmsp@di-factory.com".
We were referring to di-factory, but they seem to have separate email addresses for their different releases. The one you posted is for the Martin Scorsese Presents sets. For the Has set, which Michael and I emailed them about, the email they posted on social media is has@di-factory.com.

Of course, if people have had to luck getting a response from the boxmsp email, maybe it's worth using that address to ask about the Has collection.

karmajuice

#220 Post by karmajuice » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:44 pm

An update on the Has set! I did get a response. Here it is:
Thank you for your e-mail.

Anthology "HAS" is still available it costs 330 USD incl. tax.
We can ship it to the US by Fedex. It is around 35 USD.

We prefare the payment is by wire transfer, you receive proforma invoice from us with all details.

The album with 16 Blu-Rays (you will find there 14 feature films and 11 short forms) is in: Polish- English- French. So you have subtitles with all these languages. And the book that is the extra part of an album is bilingual: Polish - English.

If you have any questions - please just let us know.

Thank you for your kind interest in Polish Classics. It's great to have such international audience for our unique projects!
I can't justify spending that much at the moment, unfortunately. I'm on a tight budget while I'm living abroad, and the Scorsese sets were already something of an indulgence. I may opt to get it later or see if it winds up at retailers like the Scorsese sets did.