Releases for Embassies, Cultural or Educational Use

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
L.A.

Releases for Embassies, Cultural or Educational Use

#1 Post by L.A. » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:30 pm

There are so many impressive releases that to discover them you need a little detective work. What's more, some of the publications are only meant for embassies, cultural or educational use but with a bit of luck you could be a proud owner of these, for example through email correspondence.

Some examples:

- Ukrainian DVDs discussed here
- Chopin: Film Motifs

Also, the Argentinian silent box Mosaico Criollo - Primera Antología del Cine Mudo Argentino (produced by the Museo del Cine Pablo Ducrós Hicken in collaboration with the Instituto Nacional de Cine y Artes Audiovisuales) released two years ago was meant for cultural and/or educational use. Museo del Cine emailed me couple weeks ago that they have plans to repress this sometime in 2013 for purchase.

I'm sure there's more so if you see anything interesting then let us know.

Tommaso

Re: Releases for Embassies, Cultural or Educational Use

#2 Post by Tommaso » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:03 am

It's already been discussed elsewhere, but the German Goethe Institute has a 10-disc set of films by Helmut Käutner, all with English subs. The set even contains three films that are not available commercially, "Die letzte Brücke", "Himmel ohne Sterne" and "Die Rote". And these three are among Käutner's best.

L.A.

#4 Post by L.A. » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:00 pm

Korean Film Archive has produced collections to take interest and gain a better understanding of Korean culture and society:

Women on Screen: Understanding Korean Society and Women Through Films
Family on Screen: Understanding Korean Society and Family Through Films
Literature on Screen: Understanding Korean Literature Through Films

Got a reply from the archive earlier today regarding the collections. Not surprising but no chance of having them this time :cry:.
L.A. wrote:Also, the Argentinian silent box Mosaico Criollo - Primera Antología del Cine Mudo Argentino (produced by the Museo del Cine Pablo Ducrós Hicken in collaboration with the Instituto Nacional de Cine y Artes Audiovisuales) released two years ago was meant for cultural and/or educational use. Museo del Cine emailed me couple weeks ago that they have plans to repress this sometime in 2013 for purchase.
Regarding this, I visited Museo del Cine in Buenos Aires last year in March and it seems the planned repressing never came to fruition. So the copies that were released years ago came and went quickly. Fortunately found a used copy though.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#5 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:40 am

Before those sets from the Korean Film Archive, the KOFIC released an annual institutional-use set under the rubric The Varied Colors of Korean Cinema. From what I can tell, the only titles included that never received any commercial DVD release are Jang Sun-woo's A Petal (in the 2006 set) and Lee Jang-ho's The Man With Three Coffins (in the 2009 set). Thankfully both are now on the KOFA's Youtube channel.