Forthcoming David Lynch Region B Blu-rays

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
jedgeco

Forthcoming David Lynch Region B Blu-rays

#1 Post by jedgeco » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:00 pm

Over at Amazon UK, I see they're listing several David Lynch films for June Blu-ray release from Universal Pictures UK, including Eraserhead, Lost Highway, and Twin Peaks: FWwM. Anybody have any information on these releases? Given their DVD histories, I'm not optimistic about US release anytime soon.

Forrest Taft

Re: Forthcoming David Lynch Region B Blu-rays

#2 Post by Forrest Taft » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:58 pm

Came across those product pages a few days ago. Wild at Heart, Blue Velvet and Dune are also coming out. All six of them are being released simultaneously. Have yet to pick up Wild at Heart, Lost Highway or Blue Velvet, so I'll probably end up getting this entire collection. Although the artwork is TBC according to amazon, I do hope these 6 releases come with matching artwork. It will look good next to my Studio Canal versions of Mulholland Dr. and The Elephant Man. I'm looking forward to a David Lynch marathon in June. This will have to include the Twin Peaks series of course (more than a year since last time I saw it!).

Speaking of Lynch an Wild at Heart: Has anyone here seen it's quasi-sequel Perdita Durango? And does anyone know which of the many DVD releases I should go for? I've been meaning to check this one out for years. This seems like the perfect time.

perkizitore

#3 Post by perkizitore » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:07 pm

Avoid Blue Velvet and get the US release instead, this one does not have the deleted scenes!

Forrest Taft

#4 Post by Forrest Taft » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:16 pm

Are you sure? I just assumed it would have the deleted scenes, as I though the US release was also from Universal (I see now that it was put out by MGM, as was the DVD I have). No reason to pick it up unless all the extras are ported over. The deleted scenes, in particular, are a must.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#5 Post by tenia » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:38 am

My French BD of Blue Velvet has the deleted scens, though they don't have any subs, just like in the US.

manicsounds

#6 Post by manicsounds » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:47 am

tenia wrote:My French BD of Blue Velvet has the deleted scens, though they don't have any subs, just like in the US.
That's because the French BD is identical to the US, down to the audio and subtitles, from MGM/Fox. Universal will be a different disc.

jedgeco

#8 Post by jedgeco » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:46 pm

Well, that's disappointing. Honestly, the supplements I can take or leave,* as they've been released and re-released so many times that I could live without having them on BD. But if it's correct that they're re-using the ca. 2000 Eraserhead transfer, that doesn't bode well for new transfers of the other films, especially FWwM or Lost Highway, the latter of which has yet to see a definitive video transfer.

(*That is, unless someone can get the rights to the fabled FWwM deleted scenes.)

Forrest Taft

#9 Post by Forrest Taft » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:57 pm

That is disappointing news about the old master used for Eraserhead, and probably a less-than-flawless Lost Highway transfer, but if those extras are in 1080p, then all titles except Dune and Blue Velvet (which I'll import from the US anyways) are must buys. Never thought I'd get to see The Grandmother in HD, and I still haven't checked out Lynch One.

oh yeah

#10 Post by oh yeah » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:27 pm

I just wonder what the transfer for Lost Highway looks like. For my money, the only "correct"-looking transfer of that film on home video thus far has been the long-delayed Universal R1 DVD; the rest, despite the great supplemental material, are all way too washed out and bright in color, losing the darkness that makes the film so visually special.

Forrest Taft

#11 Post by Forrest Taft » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:45 am

From what I understand after skimming through amazon reviews, the blu-ray set is a semi disaster. Fire Walk With Me and Lost Highway are both 1080i, and the latter suddenly skips 10 minutes in the middle of the flick, and you have to rewind (but not all the way back - a couple of minutes wont play at all). There are also some audio problems on Fire Walk With Me, no lossless tracks, no Blue Velvet deleted scenes, etc. The short film extras are in HD though, so that's a plus I guess...

On the plus side, I just opened a gift containing a limited numbered edition (0102/1000 to be precise) of that insane Vinyl edition of Crazy Clown Time \:D/

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#12 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:52 pm

Thank goodness I kept my French Blu-rays of those two films. The only one of these I ordered was Eraserhead, hopefully that's worth my investment.

Finch

#13 Post by Finch » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:17 pm

The UK Eraserhead disc includes a documentary about Inland Empire instead of Eraserhead. Otherwise, extras are identical to the Aussie & German discs but I'd try cancelling if you still can and go for the German/Umbrella disc instead.

perkizitore

#14 Post by perkizitore » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:27 pm

The German disc offers the Eraserhead doc but doesn't include the short films (the Japanese blu is the best unless you have the short films on DVD already, so the German blu would be more suitable)

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#15 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:46 pm

I can't still cancel, but still - are you saying there's an Eraserhead doc missing that has an Inland Empire doc in its place? Seriously? Jeez, they really did mess these releases up. Perhaps I'll try to sell this one and pick up the German disc.

Forrest Taft

#16 Post by Forrest Taft » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:56 pm

The UK blu has the LYNCH ONE doc (in HD), which was shot during the making of INLAND EMPIRE. The German disc has the 90 minute interview thing from the ERASERHEAD dvd Lych put out 10 years ago. I think.

kekid

#17 Post by kekid » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:09 pm

What are the chances that a similar box will be issued in region 1 within next few months, free from all these problems?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#18 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:10 pm

Zero point zero

jedgeco

#19 Post by jedgeco » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:01 am

I'm disappointed to hear these reports, but not surprised, given that these same films have repeatedly received shabby treatment on home video.

kekid

#20 Post by kekid » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:07 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:Zero point zero
There is a Blu Ray box in UK, another in Germay. Can you please explain why you are confident about a box not showing up in Region 1? Or is your intention to say that the box may appear but will have similar problems? I am trying to understand this so that I can better understand the alternatives.

jedgeco

#21 Post by jedgeco » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:14 pm

kekid wrote:
mfunk9786 wrote:Zero point zero
There is a Blu Ray box in UK, another in Germay. Can you please explain why you are confident about a box not showing up in Region 1? Or is your intention to say that the box may appear but will have similar problems? I am trying to understand this so that I can better understand the alternatives.
mfunk9786 may have different reasons, but I'd say it's unlikely due to several different studios having the rights to the various films in the US:

Eraserhead - Lynch
Dune - Universal
Blue Velvet - MGM/Fox
Wild at Heart - MGM/Fox
Twin Peaks: FWWM - New Line
Lost Highway - Universal

Plus all the shorts that are probably owned by Lynch. The chances of these entities all working together to produce something that wouldn't sell many copies seems small.

manicsounds

#22 Post by manicsounds » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:29 am

But the US "Lime Green" DVD set had Eraserhead, The Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, and Wild At Heart, so there might be a possibility.

kekid

#23 Post by kekid » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:16 pm

Viewer reviews at Amazon indicate that none of the Blu Ray versions of Wild at Heart represent the director's cut; they all contain cuts. Is there any version of this film currently in market (any region) that is completely uncut?

manicsounds

#24 Post by manicsounds » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:41 pm

The Korean DVD was uncut (with Defoe's head being uncensored)

Solaris

#25 Post by Solaris » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:14 am

so was the australian dvd (not the blu)