Notre Musique

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Oedipax

Re: Notre Musique

#26 Post by Oedipax » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:28 pm

knives wrote:He's never really seemed comfortable in the short format though.
True enough about the shorts he made for various omnibus films in the 60s, none of which I tend to rate highly. But - but! De l'origine du XXIe siècle (Origins of the 20th Century) is a stone cold masterpiece. I would say the same is true of Je vous salue Sarajevo and Dans le noir du temps as well. Run, do not walk, to see Origins! You can get it on the ECM 'Four Short Films' collection.

knives

#27 Post by knives » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:50 pm

Will do, when I have the money. I've really only seen the shorts from the '60s, and of those only the one on the Breathless disc seems to be any good. Even his recent short for Cannes didn't seem to be up to full steam, cut off in mid-sentence. It's really amazing what the twenty extra mintues does for him.
Honestly, though, after this and Detective I have the sneaking suspicion that what ever hit him in the '70s (Gorin?) gave him the focus necessary to turn his talent into something worthwhile. The change in product and the way he speaks is so very much improved.

colinr0380

#28 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:10 am

Numero Trois wrote:Though perhaps the latter day film closest to being half-baked is his short film contribution to Aria.
"Nooooooon!"