Best of British (Odeon Entertainment)

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Camera Obscura

Best of British (Odeon Entertainment)

#1 Post by Camera Obscura » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:30 pm

Browsing through The Best of British collection, featuring some well-known horror, the odd Pete Walker and some Brit comedy-boxes, but also some (potentially) interesting 40s and 50s British crime, I'm not really familiar with.

Does anyone have recommendations, standout transfers, other thoughts?

starmanof51

Re: Best of British (Odeon Entertainment)

#2 Post by starmanof51 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:20 pm

I saw Three Cases of Murder came out from them pretty recently as well. I'm interested in grabbing that one, and saw at least one review that indicated the quality was decent. That's one more Criterion laserdisc potentially replaced.

charal

#3 Post by charal » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:21 pm

Just watched A DAY AT THE BEACH (1969) by Polanski. An excellent study of an intelligent self-destructive alcoholic. Much more entertaining than one would expect with such subject-matter. [The main actor played Bogarde's friend in DEATH IN VENICE.] The film was never released apart from a Canadian film festival showing in the 90s. I recommend it as a blind buy.

In a sense I consider this a road movie, despite the fact it is set almost entirely on a beach (in what looks like the Danish coast, standing in for a British beach I expect due to the fact that the supporting cast is made up of Brits - including Peter Sellers).

Another excellent little known film from 1965 is FOUR IN THE MORNING with Judi Dench.

Perkins Cobb

#4 Post by Perkins Cobb » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm

Further discussion here. The System is my favorite Odeon release so far.