Dutch DVDs

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
yoshimori

Re: NL

#1 Post by yoshimori » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:10 am

Any recommendations for online Netherlands dvd stores? I want to buy Blind Pig Who Wants to Fly, but the only store I found - dvdstore.nl - is freaking out about my (simple) address (in Los Angeles).

Thanks in advance.

rijnwoude

#2 Post by rijnwoude » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:25 am

Try (f.e.) the Free Record Shop, according to the website they ship outside the Netherlands.

http://www.freerecordshop.nl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ArchCarrier

#3 Post by ArchCarrier » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:56 am

Bol.com is very reliable. And the dvd is only 29 cents more expensive than at DVDStore.nl :)
Last edited by ArchCarrier on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#4 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:12 am

Any recommendations for online Netherlands dvd stores? I want to buy Blind Pig Who Wants to Fly, but the only store I found - dvdstore.nl - is freaking out about my (simple) address (in Los Angeles).
Does this actually have English subs? Every source I can find only says "Nederlands". I know West of the Tracks had English, but I've sent a couple of e-mails to the distributor asking if they uniformly include subs, and they've never replied. If you've heard anything I'd like to know, since there's more than one title in their catalog I'm interested in.

(Then again, maybe you know Dutch or Indonesian and I'm just making an ass of myself)

yoshimori

#5 Post by yoshimori » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:37 am

Thanks so much, rijnwoude and Arch. I'm not sure about the subs, FN, but the import pages at amazon uk and de say the Dutch dvd has english subs. UK link.

Probably stupid, but I just ordered from frs. The shipping was thankfully much cheaper than with dvdstore.nl, and bol.com didn't want to ship to a US address. Well, if there are no subs, I guess I'll have to brush up on my Dutch and/or Bengali. It was ever so long ago I served as translator for the Vereenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie when the collapse of the outpost on Formosa brought an end to the Euro-Sino trade and Bengali silk was suddenly in ascendancy. My modest skills proved ... ...

rijnwoude

#6 Post by rijnwoude » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:22 am

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Does this actually have English subs? Every source I can find only says "Nederlands". I know West of the Tracks had English, but I've sent a couple of e-mails to the distributor asking if they uniformly include subs, and they've never replied. If you've heard anything I'd like to know, since there's more than one title in their catalog I'm interested in.

(Then again, maybe you know Dutch or Indonesian and I'm just making an ass of myself)
The distributor - http://www.filmfreaks.nl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - gives these details. A.f.a.i.k. they are correct. Also an easy way is to use a program/database like DVDProfiler. All the editions of the FF are in that database.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#7 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:50 pm

The distributor - http://www.filmfreaks.nl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - gives these details. A.f.a.i.k. they are correct.
They don't list English subs on West of the Tracks, which has been repeatedly confirmed to have them. That's why I want to know if any or all of their other releases also have unlisted English subs.

rijnwoude

#8 Post by rijnwoude » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:31 am

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
The distributor - http://www.filmfreaks.nl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - gives these details. A.f.a.i.k. they are correct.
They don't list English subs on West of the Tracks, which has been repeatedly confirmed to have them. That's why I want to know if any or all of their other releases also have unlisted English subs.
I see (saw) :D But feel free to mail me, I can see the back covers of the DVDs in my database. On the cover of West of the Tracks 'optional English subtitles' are mentioned.

yoshimori

#9 Post by yoshimori » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:01 pm

I received Blind Pig Who Wants to Fly today, and though the box says only "Nederlands ondertiteld", the disc does have an English subtitle track. Lucky me.

The disc's short, "Hulahoop Soundings", also has English subs. Heck, even the trailers have English subs.

yoshimori

Dutch DVDs

#10 Post by yoshimori » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:53 pm

I just received the r2netherlands disc of Anocha Suwichakornpong's Mundane History (2009). Beautiful, 16:9 transfer with optional English and Dutch subs. I don't think this is available elsewhere in the world. Recommended, if you're ordering from the Netherlands.

Finch

Re: Dutch DVDs

#11 Post by Finch » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:50 pm

I ordered my Jackie Brown Blu-Ray from mediadis (http://www.mediadis.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and was very pleased with their service. Plus, it has an English interface.

The JB Blu is very good by the way: it's not a huge improvement over the Miramax DVD and I noticed some minor noise in a late scene between Jackie and Roy in the interrogation room but it does look better in all the expected areas (shadow detail, blacks, colour, sharpness etc). Audio also got a nice bump to DTS HD. You may want to hold onto the Miramax for the extras though since the Dutch BR carries no bonus material.

perkizitore

#12 Post by perkizitore » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:42 pm

I bought the uncut Total Recall blu-ray and the remastered Gladiator from Mediadis. I am thinking of picking up Eldorado on blu-ray sometime in the future, does anybody own it and can comment on the PQ?

Zot!

#13 Post by Zot! » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:54 pm

What is the deal with Total Recall, is the UK Blu an edited version?

perkizitore

#14 Post by perkizitore » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:01 pm

The 2010 (Dutch, German, Italian and Spanish) blu-ray is uncut and utilizes a new transfer compared to the 2008 discs.

gyorgys

#15 Post by gyorgys » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:28 pm

perkizitore wrote:I bought (...) the remastered Gladiator from Mediadis. (...)
The remastered Gladiator (without the applied DNR and EE atrocities) is the one with the "10th anniversary edition" banner on top of the front cover, if my memory serves me correctly. Right?

perkizitore

#16 Post by perkizitore » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:23 am

There are two anniversary blu-rays listed, i bought the steelbook since it has the same price with the ordinary blu-ray case. People complained that Universal used old packaging, so a Dutch shop selling the new edition halted sales until they replace the cases. I don't know if it's going to happen, since Universal announced they will be replacing the old discs with new ones gradually, but not the cases...

gyorgys

#17 Post by gyorgys » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:04 am

perkizitore wrote:There are two anniversary blu-rays listed, i bought the steelbook since it has the same price with the ordinary blu-ray case. People complained that Universal used old packaging, so a Dutch shop selling the new edition halted sales until they replace the cases. I don't know if it's going to happen, since Universal announced they will be replacing the old discs with new ones gradually, but not the cases...
Thank you very much Perkizitore, especially for mentioning the steelbook-packaging!

perkizitore

#18 Post by perkizitore » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:14 am

It seems to be the steelbook based on the photo, i am not sure i will get one, though! I will let you know when i receive it (it hasn't shipped yet).

videozor

#19 Post by videozor » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:51 pm

Is there any online store where OOP Dutch DVDs (Universal Ultimate Collection, in particular) can be ordered to be shipped to US?

I've tried bol.com (which lists most of them), but according to email sent to me by a marketplace seller, these sellers are not allowed to ship oversees.

Other .nl, .be sites I know, don’t even list OOP titles.

Thank you in advance!