Italian Films on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
ellipsis7

Re: Italian DVDs With Italian Subs

#126 Post by ellipsis7 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:49 am

rohmerin wrote:My tips. I am only interested on OOP books, fuori di catalogo, and I have discovered for the moment two paradises, amazing both:

-Ferrara
Libreria Mercatino del Libro e del Fumetto
Via delle Scienze, 12, 44100 Ferrara, Italia
+39 0532 205804 ‎
It's smells to old books, it looks a cemetery for books. Charming family runs the business. It looks chaotic but it's all in order by subjects. I bought a long and old Venice film festival book about HAYS code for 13 euros !!!

-Bologna
http://www.melbookstore.it/libreria_bologna_outlet.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Almost new and real OOP books.
Many thanks for these, Rohmerin... Will certainly check out the one in Ferrara in the spring, when I'm next there for the rescheduled Antonioni exhibition...

rohmerin

#127 Post by rohmerin » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:28 am

For visitors in Milano, there are some excellent OOP and 50 % off bookstores in and around Naviglio Grande (one of those channels like in Venice with vintage stores and trendy aperitivo bars). Even there's a shop all for 2 euros.
Their shop for cinema, art and design is superb.
All these shops close very late, at 23.00 H.

web site

http://negozi.libraccio.it/negozi/negozio.php?id=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ellipsis7

#128 Post by ellipsis7 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:41 pm

Just on a Blasetti blast, picking up 6 of the RHV discs; 1860, 4 Passi Fra Le Nuvole & 4 of the early sound movies - Resurrectio, Terra Madre, Palio & La Tavola Dei Poveri... Despite stating otherwise in the specs & on the box, there does not actually seem to be Italian subs (per non udenti) available on the Palio disc, but despite this it is a fascinating movie with vivid scenes shot on location in Sienna some 80 years ago...

TMDaines

#129 Post by TMDaines » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:01 pm

Yes, the RHV Blasetti discs are great. I think pretty much all of them have fansubs available too now.

Saimo

#130 Post by Saimo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:41 pm

I find Blasetti early sound films really astonishing, especially Resurrectio.
1860, 4 Passi Fra Le Nuvole
These two discs also have English subtitles too.

TMDaines

#131 Post by TMDaines » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:32 pm

Roma ore 11

Holy shit! I thought this was never going to make its way to DVD. Shame it isn't with a label who'd do something with it, but, nonetheless, every other unreleased classic Italian film can now move up one spot in the most wanted charts.

ellipsis7

#132 Post by ellipsis7 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:48 am

Excellent!... Presumably on the foot of this Venice screening in June...
The film Roma ore 11 (Rome 11:00, 1952), the masterpiece by Giuseppe De Santis, one of the fathers of Neorealism, will be shown on the occasion of the sixtieth anniversary of the film’s debut screening, in a new copy provided by the Centro Sperimentale di Cinematografia - Cineteca Nazionale di Roma.
So it should be a decent print, just hoping there will be Italiano per non udenti subs on the 01 disc too...

TMDaines

#133 Post by TMDaines » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:55 am

I don't know if it will as La spiaggia was advertised as such but didn't have any, if I remember correctly. Regardless the fan subtitles will be synced up in a matter of days.

ellipsis7

#134 Post by ellipsis7 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:34 am

Ordered a bunch of De Santis along with the upcoming ROME ORE 11, including GIORNI D'AMORE featuring a young Mastroianni and filmed in the rather marvellous Ferraniacolor... While the UN MARITO PER ANNA ZACCHEO disc appears to be from a video source or suchlike (nevertheless still interesting), NON C'È PACE TRA GLI ULIVI is in a lovely edition from a new film restoration...

TMDaines

#135 Post by TMDaines » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:33 pm

TMDaines wrote:It looks like we're finally getting more stuff from the Cristaldi catalogue. Most of it's really quite unknown too with the majority of the films not having five votes on iMDB nor being currently available on the likes of KG. The first Blu-ray in Ferreri's L'udienza is more than welcome and it's nice to see Camerini's Due Lettere Anonime finally coming out on DVD too.
Rosi's La sfida upcoming now too on Blu

ellipsis7

#136 Post by ellipsis7 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:17 pm

Totally excellent, had picked up the DVD, but BR essential of Rosi's film, not least for the photography of Gianni Di Venanzo, chances were now just viewing his unparalleled work on CC 8 1/2 BR projected in HD... Sweet !...

ellipsis7

#137 Post by ellipsis7 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:21 pm

Confirm no subs at all on ROMA, ORE 11 DVD, but it is the recent Cineteca di Bologna digital restoration, and indeed quite a fascinating film...

ellipsis7

#138 Post by ellipsis7 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:08 am

Heads up - this rather useful looking 5 DVD set from Istituto Luce Volti E Personaggi Del Cinema Italiano just 1 copy left @ €10.99 (I picked up the other)... A steal at that price...

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#139 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:53 pm

ellipsis7 wrote:Heads up - this rather useful looking 5 DVD set from Istituto Luce Volti E Personaggi Del Cinema Italiano just 1 copy left @ €10.99 (I picked up the other)... A steal at that price...
Definitely no subs other than Italian would you know?

ellipsis7

#140 Post by ellipsis7 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:15 pm

Definitely...

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#141 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:20 pm

Peccato...still we got Stromboli coming!

Saimo

Re: Classic Italian Cinema (non R1, English-friendly)

#142 Post by Saimo » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:32 am

Ripley's Home Video has just released L'invenzione di Morel (Morel's Invention, 1974), a science-fiction "fantasy", starring Anna Karina. The disc features a new HD transfer, with both English and French subtitles. As soon as I receive my copy I will post some screenshots.

David Cairns talks about the film here:
http://mubi.com/notebook/posts/the-forg ... land-discs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

repeat

#143 Post by repeat » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:02 am

Saimo wrote:Ripley's Home Video has just released L'invenzione di Morel (Morel's Invention, 1974)
Wow, thanks for that piece of news - I never even realized this had been filmed. A simultaneously obvious and somehow impossible book to adapt; very eager to see how they've managed...

If someone here doesn't know that book yet, I'd venture to say it's absolutely required reading for anyone with even a passing interest in either film or sci-fi - and a hell of a good read in any case. Chris Marker, when asked how he would describe his career to someone who didn't know about it, said "I'd tell them to read The Invention of Morel."

Saimo

L'invenzione di Morel (Morel's Invention, 1974)

#144 Post by Saimo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:32 pm

Ripley's Home Video has just released this science-fiction "fantasy", based on Adolfo Bioy Casares' novel and starring Anna Karina. The disc features a new HD transfer, with both English and French subtitles.

Some screenshots:

Last edited by Saimo on Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

ellipsis7

#145 Post by ellipsis7 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:28 am

Interestingly there was also a prior version for French TV L'invention de Morel (1967) an opening clip of which can be glimpsed here...

ellipsis7

#146 Post by ellipsis7 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:58 am

New Cristaldi BR of Rosi's LA SFIDA looks really superb, crisp, sharp, visceral, doing deserved credit to Gianni di Venanzo's peerless cinematography... A true thing of beauty!...

Next up, Visconti's LE NOTTI BIANCHE comes to Blu Ray on 20th March... That'll be an HD master available to Criterion for an upgrade...

rohmerin

#147 Post by rohmerin » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:13 am

For all the Milano caliber 9 lovers, another novel I've read from the same author.

DEATH OCCURED LAST NIGHT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoMHUU-_4Ow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zampa's neorealist To live in Peace (amazing quality, it's the DVD)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F50pcxDfouI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bolognini's La corruzione

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihVfgPV8ABU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pietrangeli's masterpiece Io la conoscevo bene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVkGVdG8Ktk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Saimo

#148 Post by Saimo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:35 am

I have just started a new blog, covering English-friendly DVDs from Italy. Subscribe, please! :wink:
http://journeys-italy.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

L.A.

#149 Post by L.A. » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:53 pm

Is Ermanno Olmi's two-discer (released by Instituto Luce) of The Tree of Wooden Clogs (1978) possibly still available?

Saimo

#150 Post by Saimo » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:42 pm

I fratelli Dinamite (The Dynamite Brothers, 1949)
http://journeys-italy.blogspot.it/2013/ ... thers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
L.A. wrote:Is Ermanno Olmi's two-discer (released by Instituto Luce) of The Tree of Wooden Clogs (1978) possibly still available?
I am afraid the first edition with English subs is now hard to find.