Powell and Pressburger (UK releases)

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
david hare

Re: Powell and Pressburger (UK releases)

#126 Post by david hare » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:36 pm

Tom, I have to say, for the time being, the ITV is fucking gorgeous!

You know I couldn't help noticing how much there is a parallel going on between the incredible nostalgia for the English countryside, and a comparable nostalgia for a pre-War Berlin, when the city was relatively new and full of hope (as it is to me today in fact!). And this resto is so detailed you can see the glue lines for Livesey's "Old Fat" Blimp prosthetic makeup, and Anton's "Old" white wig hairline!!!
And Deb's Tech Helena Rubinstein lippy glows like moonshine! This is how bloody Black Narcissus should have looked.

matrixschmatrix

#127 Post by matrixschmatrix » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:52 pm

Is there a new resto of A Matter of Life and Death as well as Blimp?

Tommaso

#128 Post by Tommaso » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:05 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:Is there a new resto of A Matter of Life and Death as well as Blimp?
The latest one is a few years old and was released by Sony together with "Age of Consent". Excellent picture quality, but very controversial colour scheme.
david hare wrote:
You know I couldn't help noticing how much there is a parallel going on between the incredible nostalgia for the English countryside, and a comparable nostalgia for a pre-War Berlin, when the city was relatively new and full of hope (as it is to me today in fact!).
Absolutely. For Pressburger it must have been rather pre-1933 Berlin than strictly pre-war, I suppose; those late Weimar years when he started off as a screenwriter and added to or wrote scripts for such wonderful films as Siodmak's "Abschied", Schünzel's "Ronny", or even (uncredited) Lamprecht's "Emil und die Detektive". And one can discern the hands of the later master in these already. Seeing these films and many others from the same period has curiously created a 'nostalgia' in me for a time and place I've of course never known.

But similar feelings are inspired for the English countryside for me whenever I listen to Vaughan Williams or indeed when watching "A Canterbury Tale".

david hare

#129 Post by david hare » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:36 pm

Yes, it's a profoundly personal film for both Powell and Emeric. I think it's their most perfect film, and I suspect this also has as much to with Perinal as it does with P&P. Perinal has a signature camera position amd movement - from slightly above and then in for a long take, then out which he seems to have perfected to elegantly accomodate Powell's long takes, Theo's sublime monologue in a three minute single take about his life to the Immigration authorites being the most devastating.

triodelover

#130 Post by triodelover » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:13 pm

Well, I'm probably in Tom's (and your hubby's camp) more than yours, but that's what makes horse races. I noticed Livesey's makeup in the opening bath scenes and was somewhat startled the prosthetic belly was so obvious. I'm going to go back and look at the resto doc again now that you've provided details.

As far as dialogue goes, despite my age I had never seen the film until the advent of DVD (and immediately feel in love with it). I grew up in a small Southern city and I can say with some assurance it would never have made the local rounds there. In fact, the only P&P I was aware of at the time was The Red Shoes and that's only because several young women friends had taken ballet as girls and apparently the film was required viewing. (Which is a bit stage considering the story arc and having to explain things to young girls in the Bible Belt.)

Did I not read somewhere the CC will announce their version in Q1, 2013? I'm certain I'll buy it because one can't have too many copies of this one, and at least the packaging can't be any worse that that shimmering Photoshop monstrosity on the steelbook.
Last edited by triodelover on Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brianruns10

#131 Post by Brianruns10 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:18 pm

david hare wrote:Yes, it's a profoundly personal film for both Powell and Emeric. I think it's their most perfect film, and I suspect this also has as much to with Perinal as it does with P&P. Perinal has a signature camera position amd movement - from slightly above and then in for a long take, then out which he seems to have perfected to elegantly accomodate Powell's long takes, Theo's sublime monologue in a three minute single take about his life to the Immigration authorites being the most devastating.
I'm with you there David. Theo's monologue is the greatest of the '40s, rivaled only by Bernstein's monologue on memory in "Citizen Kane."

Murdoch

#132 Post by Murdoch » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:44 pm

Now if only we could get an upgrade of I Know Where I'm Going!

Brianruns10

#133 Post by Brianruns10 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:10 am

I've longed for a proper release of "Gone to Earth," coupled with it's American edit.

Tommaso

#134 Post by Tommaso » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:42 am

And I want ANY sort of release of "The Elusive Pimpernel" and "Rosalinda". I really don't understand why these two films are so neglected when almost everything else by P&P has multiple editions worldwide.

triodelover

#135 Post by triodelover » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:02 am

peerpee
not perpee

#136 Post by peerpee » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:03 pm

According to Thelma, from a June 2011 interview, next from the Film Foundation/Thelma/Scorsese is THE TALES OF HOFFMANN, and apparently the BFI are doing A CANTERBURY TALE.

http://www.fluxmagazine.com/index.php/f ... hoonmaker/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#137 Post by Drucker » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:36 pm

Tommaso

#138 Post by Tommaso » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:49 pm

Ah....nay.... the Blu may have better detail, but that Technicolor exuberance of which Gary speaks can only be seen in the CC (or the earlier incarnations of that transfer). Much more delirious colours on the dvd, if you ask me.

david hare

#139 Post by david hare » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:44 pm

Umm, it's all a bit polished and refined isn't it? Nothing raw, or bold but then Gary didn't post caps from the opening with the ship's eye, and those turquoises, reds and blues, and Connie coming down the gangplank in the flaming scarlet headgear.Maybe I should ask Gaz if he can still do a couple more screens from the opening sequence.
(Tom if you care to look elsewhere I can help with Elusive Pimpernel.)
Last edited by david hare on Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#140 Post by Drucker » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:45 pm

I agree with David. Those blu ray shots seem ...weirdly hazy.

JamesF

#141 Post by JamesF » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:39 am

Murdoch wrote:Now if only we could get an upgrade of I Know Where I'm Going!
Not a UK release, but a French BD was quietly released by Elephant Films last month: https://www.amazon.fr/Sais-Vais-Combo-B ... 075L1PT35/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chiendent

#142 Post by chiendent » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:00 pm

Just saw that DVDBeaver just posted the French BD. I saw a decent print of it last year and it doesn't seem that far off so I'm very tempted. I'd love to see a more lavish edition come out from a UK or US label, it really deserves one (and hopefully a 4K restoration in the future).

Werewolf by Night

Powell and Pressburger (UK releases)

#143 Post by Werewolf by Night » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:20 pm

DVDClassik says it’s only slightly better than (and possibly the same transfer as) the French DVD released in 2006.

david hare

#144 Post by david hare » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:29 pm

My review:
"Elephant's new Blu Ray from France of Powell and Pressburger's fabulous I Know Where I'm Going released as Je Sais ou je Vais.

First screen is la Hiller on a train to Scotland about to sink into one of Powell's craziest dream montages as she hurtles onto what she believes will be her redemption and her destiny. Little does she know. What an enchanting adventure, not least discovering her "handsome winsome Johnny" to be, the comely Roger Livesey in a kilt, the sublimely liberated Free Soul Pamela Brown with her glorious wolfhounds, the Colonel with his magnificent eagels and his beloved "lost" hawk, Torquil who comes back to him in the final act, and the spell of the Corryvreckan whirlpool. This is my all time fave black and white P and P and one of the greatest British movies ever made. It also contains one of my all time favorite music scores by Allan Gray who also scored Sans Lendemain, as well as a number of other 40s P&P's.

Second screen shows a big fat cigarette burn reel marker, which is a fairly typical indicator of the ongoing minor but persistent print damage in this new source. Elephant appears to have used a UK 35mm fine grain Archive print (at a guess) which is certainly far ahead of the older Criterion from ten odd years ago for black levels, detail and contrast. It is indeed a lovely thing to watch. But this is in no way or form a restoration, given the sheer volume of fine tramline scratches, dirt, debris, and the above noted cigarette burns. The transfer displays very welcome stabilization, without frame jitter or visible shrinkage and very nice grading but the title still needs a major full scale photochemical restoration like the one performed several years ago for Canterbury Tale. Somone like Arrow with Dave Mackenzie and MIchael Brooke on QC needs to get their hands on this and give it the treatment, but this is unlikely given the UK rights are with ITV.

So think twice perhaps before ordering and paying those hefty French Amazon postage fees. If you can get it across the pond for a couple of quid and you're a fan it's a no brainer. I sort of didn't even mind all that much forking out 53 NZ bucks for a better version of something I love as much as this."

Not able to upload screens here.

Werewolf by Night

#145 Post by Werewolf by Night » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:08 pm

Thanks, that’s a more encouraging review.

Lost Highway

#146 Post by Lost Highway » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:57 am

Thank you, I’ve been dithering about getting this because the Beaver grabs didn’t look that good. It is one of my favourite films too.

Lost Highway

#147 Post by Lost Highway » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:16 am

Received the French blu-ray of I Know Where I’m Going yesterday and can only agree with david hare. This needs a proper restoration, but meanwhile it’s a good enough upgrade over the DVD if you love the film. I watched it on my projector and while soft and full of scratches, it has a far more film like appearance.