It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:08 pm 

Still waiting for the Film Foundation restoration of The Leopard to get an English-language BD release (subtitled, that is) that will stay in-print.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:11 pm 

Yes. If Criterion can rerelease Monterey Pop, hopefully they can take another stab at this as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:19 pm 

You're right. Criterion took the strange decision to reissued its old HD master and not take the restoration in 4k, which was released in France and Italy on similar date. -I will update my old post, which was on the previous page-

0.- The Leopard. The 4k restoration was edited in France in 2012. Region A/1 is realised by Criterion with his own old HD master in 2014.

1.- Rocco and his Brothers. The 4k restoration was edited by Masters of Cinema in 2016. Region A/1 is not realised yet. Milestone films has the rights, according to what I readed

2.- The Witches (episode "La Stregha brucciata Viva") is out this week on Blu-ray and DVD in the UK and will be released in the US January 30th, by Arrow

3.- The Innocent. Realised by Cult Film in 2017, region Free

4.- Ludwig. Realised by Arrow Academy in 2017. Beautifully restored and presented.

5.- Conversation Piece. Dual Format edition by Master of Cinema in 2016. I have a previous BluRay edition by Raro Video.. Beware! wax image

6.- Vaghe Stelle dell'Orsa / Sandra: Was restored in 2013 by the Cineteca di Bologna, and exhibited in the section of Classics in the Venice Festival. No BluRay edition was realised in USA or UK to date. ( The Spanish BluRay is a bootleg. Poor image that recalls a mediocre DVD. To refrain)

7.- Death in Venice. I have no news of a new restoration or a first edition on BluRay

8.- The Damned. Same.. no news

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:55 pm 

The Leopard is on Blu in Italy by Medussa in a two disc with a documentary Tornatore made about Lombardo, the producer. I thinks it-s the 4K but I'm not sure.

Conversation Piece, I've got the French blu. It was produced by Gaumont. I don't know about its transfer or differencies.

You forget Senso. Criterion, Studio Canal in France, I own both.
Cristaldi in Italy also has White Nights and Senso on Blu. I don't own any.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:08 pm 

rohmerin wrote:
The Leopard is on Blu in Italy by Medussa in a two disc with a documentary Tornatore made about Lombardo, the producer. I thinks it-s the 4K but I'm not sure.

The italian Bluy Ray for The Leopard is the 4k restoration.. 99% secure.

rohmerin wrote:
You forget Senso. Criterion, Studio Canal in France, I own both.
Cristaldi in Italy also has White Nights and Senso on Blu. I don't own any.

I did not mention SENSO because has its definitive editions in BluRay both in America and in Europe. Le Notti Bianche can have a Criterion upgrade any day in the near future, because the HD master is very good

Missing titles:

Lo Straniero/The Stranger, Probably the lost Visconti ... I think it does not have a decent edition not even on DVD. According to my memory it had many problems with rights.

La Terra Trema and Ossessione need a major restoration. I think the masters that exist are just as acceptable DVD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:42 pm 

rohmerin wrote:
The Leopard is on Blu in Italy by Medusa in a two disc with a documentary Tornatore made about Lombardo, the producer. I thinks it-s the 4K but I'm not sure.

A warning about the Medusa disc, it looks like it has a significant contrast boost, especially compared to the French BD of the same restoration. (Unfortunately the French disc does not have English subtitles.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:06 pm 

The stranger was re released in French cinemas in 2009 by Las acacias but apparently there-s no French DVD.

http://www.acaciasfilms.com/film/l-etranger/

Look the poster: Paramount, Les Acacias and CCN.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:07 pm 

Yes, I was disappointed with the Medusa disc myself and have gone back to the Criterion (I haven't seen the Pathe).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:23 pm 

I have the elusive Australian BD of The Leopard from late 2011. It also uses the 4K restoration. It looks pretty good to me - blacks are darker, perhaps to the point of losing some detail. From memory it has the dreaded yellow subtitles, but is at least English-friendly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8