Waterworld

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Waterworld

#1 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:45 pm

The most expensive film ever made at the time of its release, Waterworld has thrilled audiences through the years with its awe-inspiring action scenes, gargantuan maritime sets and ground-breaking special effects.

A definitive post-apocalypse blockbuster, Waterworld stars Kevin Costner (The Untouchables) as The Mariner - a mutant trader, adrift in a dystopian future where Earth is submerged under water and humankind struggles to survive on boats and in ramshackle floating cities. The Mariner becomes embroiled with the Smokers, a gang of pirates who, led by villainous leader Deacon (Dennis Hopper, Blue Velvet), are seeking Enola (Tina Majorino, Napoleon Dynamite), a girl with a map to the mythical realm of “Dryland” tattooed on her back.

Famous for both its epic scale and the controversy that swirled around its production, Waterworld is a key cult film of the 1990s, and an essential entry into the subgenre of ecologically-minded blockbusters. Presented here in an exclusive new restoration, in three different cuts, and with a wealth of extra material, this high-water mark of high-concept Hollywood can now be enjoyed as never before.

THREE-DISC LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
• Three cuts of the film newly restored from original film elements by Arrow Films
• Original 5.1 DTSHD Master Audio and 2.0 stereo audio options
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Six collector’s postcards
• Double-sided fold-out poster
• Limited edition 60-page perfect bound book featuring new writing on the film by David J. Moore and Daniel Griffith, and archival articles
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Paul Shipper

DISC ONE – THE THEATRICAL CUT
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the original theatrical cut
• Maelstrom: The Odyssey of Waterworld, an all-new, feature-length making-of documentary including extensive cast and crew interviews and behind the scenes footage
• Dances With Waves, an original archival featurette capturing the film’s production
• Global Warnings, film critic Glenn Kenny explores the subgenre of ecologically themed end-of-the-world films
• Production and promotional stills gallery
• Visual effects stills gallery
• Original trailers and TV spots

DISC TWO – THE TV CUT [LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE]
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the extended US TV cut, which runs over 40 minutes longer than the theatrical cut

DISC THREE – THE “ULYSSES” CUT [LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE]
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the extended European “Ulysses” cut, which include previously censored shots and dialogue

CSM126

Re: Waterworld

#2 Post by CSM126 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:05 pm

Oh give me a break.

AfterTheRain

#3 Post by AfterTheRain » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:10 pm

In honor of the announcement of the release, I bring to you this Simpsons reference to the movie:

"Game Over. Please deposit 40 quarters." - The Waterworld Video Game

knives

#4 Post by knives » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:26 pm

This seems like, in a worst case scenario, a great opportunity for contextualizing extras especially if they can get Reynolds or Costner talking about it.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#5 Post by tenia » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:42 pm

I'm actually fairly certain there also is a really wide fanbase for this movie, that may actually genuinely like it.
For all I remember, it's actually mediocre and tediously long rather than total garbage.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#6 Post by Drucker » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:03 pm

100% would buy for extras where climate change experts weigh in.

colinr0380

#7 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:46 pm

What I really want is an extra feature all about the Waterworld live action theme park show at Universal Studios in Japan!

I quite like Waterworld (1994 was Dennis Hopper's break out bad guy year with this and Speed!), and its nowhere near as bad as the anti-hype machine suggested. I wonder if we might get Kevin Reynold's Rapa Nui at some point as well!

The kind of similar post-apocalyptic epic The Postman was my breaking point in thinking that the film was too in thrall to a movie star, specifically the incredibly saccharine ending to that film, which was not really surprising in the context of previous Costner films but just felt entirely unearnt there. (But the later Open Range might be Costner's best film as a director and star)

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#8 Post by tenia » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:46 am

colinr0380 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:46 pm
What I really want is an extra feature all about the Waterworld live action theme park show at Universal Studios in Japan!
This looks to be the same live action show than in the California Universal Studios park.

Roger Ryan

#9 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:54 pm

tenia wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:46 am
colinr0380 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:46 pm
This looks to be the same live action show than in the California Universal Studios park.
It is, but I think it's more charming in Japanese! The show is getting long in the tooth (I saw it at Universal Studios Hollywood more than twenty years ago), but that effect of the airplane flying over the rear of the set and splashing down in front of the audience was truly ingenious and exciting.

Emilio

#10 Post by Emilio » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:42 pm

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#11 Post by tenia » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:14 pm

Not sure if it's the encode or down to the screen capture method, but the cap of Costner swimming with the kid shows extreme blockiness.

David M.

#12 Post by David M. » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:30 pm

None of those captures are accurate. It looks like they ripped the disc using some kind of transcoding tool that's re-compressed it.

Interestingly the site even claims "The 15 unaltered images below represent the Blu-ray." They definitely don't.

Edit: it looks like the same issue affects all the screen grabs on the site.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#13 Post by tenia » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:54 pm

That's what I thought, thanks for the confirmation.
I should have checked the file weight first : the screencap of Costner swimming is only 300 kb, which is quite telling for a 1.85 color movie.

yoloswegmaster

#14 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:35 pm

4K release coming in June.