The Bloodthirsty Trilogy

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

The Bloodthirsty Trilogy

#1 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:02 am

Inspired by the runaway success of the British and American gothic horror films of the sixties, Toho studios brought the vampiric tropes of the Dracula legend to Japanese screens with The Vampire Doll, Lake of Dracula, and Evil of Dracula three spookily effective cult classics collectively known as The Bloodthirsty Trilogy.

In The Vampire Doll, a young man goes missing after visiting his girlfriend s isolated country home. His sister and her boyfriend trace him to the creepy mansion, but their search becomes perilous when they uncover a gruesome family history. Lake of Dracula begins with a young girl suffering a terrifying nightmare of a vampire with blazing golden eyes. Eighteen years later, the dream is revealed to be a hellish prophecy when a strange package containing an empty coffin mysteriously turns up at a nearby lake. In Evil of Dracula, a professor takes up a new post at an all-girls school only to discover the school s principle conceals a dark secret and the pupils are in grave danger.

Abounding with images of dark thunderous nights, ghostly mansions and bloody fangs, Michio Yamamoto s trilogy emphasises atmosphere and style and is sure to please both fans of classic gothic horror and Japanese genre cinema.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation transferred from original film elements
Uncompressed Mono 1.0 PCM audio
Newly translated English subtitles
Kim Newman on The Bloodthirsty Trilogy, a new video appraisal by the critic and writer
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matt Griffin
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Japanese film expert Jasper Sharp

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: The Bloodthirsty Trilogy

#2 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:15 am

Hard to believe these movies no one has ever heard of weren't everyone's first guess for the vampire teeth clue

What A Disgrace

#3 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:25 am

Realizing that this was what the clue was hinting at gave me a good laugh, so I feel obligated to buy this.

Banasa

#4 Post by Banasa » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:49 am

There have been a few requests on their facebook user posts for these films, not exactly Martin level requests, but those one or two users will be happy that they are available. Now if they will buy them...

Big Ben

#5 Post by Big Ben » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:32 am

So these are "trash" right? But what kind of trash? The fun kind or the bad kind? I could always use more things like Hausu.

dwk

#6 Post by dwk » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:59 am

Toho Kingdom has pretty lengthy recaps/spoilery reviews for all three films and they sound kind of mediocre/average:
Vampire Doll
Lake of Dracula
Evil of Dracula

kindaikun

#7 Post by kindaikun » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:35 am

I love these films and suggested them to Arrow a while ago.
I have the Japanese DVDs which all have commentaries so hopefully they'll licence those later.

The first one is pretty straight and not unlike Hammer's Dracula in tone.
They get progressively more pulpy and silly but remain enjoyable up until the end,
not as hard at the Stray Cat or Female Prisoner films, not nearly as bizarre as something like Hausu,
I suppose the tone is not unlike some of the tokusatsu films from the 70s, but being in the horror genre,
they have a feel all of their own. All are interesting but the first one especially is really worth a watch.

edit:
Trailers for Bloodthirsty Doll (Vampire Doll) and Bloodthirsty Eye (Lake of Dracula)