Family Values: Three Films by Hirokazu Kore-eda

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

Ribs

Family Values: Three Films by Hirokazu Kore-eda

#1 Post by Ribs » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:21 am

One of Japan's most internationally celebrated filmmakers working today, Hirokazu Kore-eda is feted by critics and audiences alike. His films often focus on family dynamics and recall the films of masters Yasujiro Ozu and Mikio Naruse. Collected here in a limited edition box set are some of his finest works.

I Wish tells the story of a family literally separated as elder brother Koichi lives with his mother and grandparents, whilst younger Ryu lives with his deadbeat father. The boys hear a rumour that when two trains on the near completed Kyushu line pass each other a miracle will be granted and they hatch a plan to meet and bring their family back together. Like Father, Like Son finds two families in turmoil as they discover their six year old sons were swapped and they have been raising children who are not biologically their own. Worlds apart in many ways they question their roles and nature vs nurture. After the Storm once again focuses on a separated family; the father, Ryota, a struggling writer clutching at past glory is trying to reconnect with his family following the death of his father, causing him to evaluate his relationship with his son and his own role as a father.

Featuring perfectly measured screenplays and astonishing, naturalistic performances, Kore-eda's films are moving portraits of family life that superbly demonstrate the fragility and profundity of familial bonds.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS:

Limited Edition boxset (2000 copies)
High Definition transfers of all three films in this collection
Original Uncompressed audio
Optional English subtitles
Newly filmed introductions to all three films by noted critics including Tony Rayns (more to be confirmed)
Brand new career-spanning interviews with director Hirokazu Kore-eda looking in depth at all three films
A visual essay on Kore-eda s films and style
What Would Your Wish Be? a documentary on I Wish
Interviews with the Like Father, Like Son cast
Feature-length documentary on making of After the Storm
Promotional featurettes
Original trailers
Reversible sleeves featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Corey Brickley
More to be announced!
60-page Collector's book featuring new writing on all three films
Last edited by Ribs on Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ribs

Re: Family Values: Three Films by Hirokazu Kore-eda

#2 Post by Ribs » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:26 am

It's interesting to see this at 2,000 copies, a new number for Arrow LEs (it's also at a slightly lower price than even the Taviani set).

rapta

#3 Post by rapta » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:54 am

It's likely to be such a low number because they already released I Wish and Like Father, Like Son a few years ago (as general Arrow Films titles). I own both so would have to double-dip on this one to get After the Storm and the extras/booklet. £37.99 too high for me, I'd likely grab it at closer to £20-25 myself. A lot of others will be in the same boat as me, deciding whether they can justify double-dipping on two out of three films in a set.

I love the artwork though, and thankful they've roped Tony Rayns in as well. I had a feeling they'd do something like this (posted about it in another thread on here I think). Seems they're 'upgrading' some of their Arrow Films titles with booklets and one or two extras. Makes sense to do that, as it'll introduce those films to an audience who perhaps ignored them before.

PS: I expect they might look at Jia's A Touch if Sin and Hui's A Simple Life next. I would especially love a Jia set...but his key ones might still be with Artificial Eye (I own their DVD set).

Calvin

#4 Post by Calvin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:07 am

rapta wrote:PS: I expect they might look at Jia's A Touch if Sin and Hui's A Simple Life next.
Arrow could charge just about anything if they restored Hui's Boat People and I'd probably be willing to pay it!

Banasa

#5 Post by Banasa » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:49 am

I wonder if this set would possibly open up for a set of Kore-eda's earlier films, specifically: Maborosi, After Life and Nobody Knows.

Anyone know if those films wrapped up in rights hell?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#6 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:59 am

A _huge_ Ann Hui box set would be very very nice.

(I have 2 of these Kore'eda films already also. so this set becomes a very expensive buy...)

Is anyone else getting just a wee bit weary of the seeming ubiquity of Tony Rayns (when he is good, he can be very good, but he isn't _always_ good these days -- or so it seems to me -- and even if he were -- wouldn't it be nice to get other perspectives -- especially visual essays rather than talking head stuff)?

colinr0380

#7 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:00 pm

Wonderful! I Wish is my favourite film of this decade so far, so I'll gladly re-buy just for the extra features and writing on that. And "Optional English subtitles" on everything suggests that the previous Blu-ray of Like Father, Like Son doesn't have fixed subtitles any more.
Banasa wrote:I wonder if this set would possibly open up for a set of Kore-eda's earlier films, specifically: Maborosi, After Life and Nobody Knows.

I'm not sure about Maborosi and After Life but I think Nobody Knows was released on DVD in the UK by ICA Films in 2005, so it would depend on whether those rights expired.

longstone

#8 Post by longstone » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:20 pm

I have all three films already but I still think the box seems worth it for the extras and a decent Blu-ray of After the Storm,
previously I could only find a DVD with English subs . But they are releasing a stand alone After the Storm for people who have the other titles already. Regarding the earlier titles , Maborosi Hana and Distance have never been released in the UK as far as I know but the other more recent titles have , Afterlife , Nobody Knows and Still Walking on DVD only I think ?
I don't think there have been Blu-rays released anywhere for the first few films ?

FakeBonanza

#9 Post by FakeBonanza » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:53 pm

I picked up I Wish and Like Father, Like Son only a few months ago (I haven't even gotten around to watching the latter yet--though I've seen it before), so the timing isn't great. On the other hand, there's no way I can pass-up on all these features, along with After the Storm. This is a very exciting release, and it's wonderful to see Koreeda's work finally get the treatment it deserves.
colinr0380 wrote:Wonderful! I Wish is my favourite film of this decade so far, so I'll gladly re-buy just for the extra features and writing on that. And "Optional English subtitles" on everything suggests that the previous Blu-ray of Like Father, Like Son doesn't have fixed subtitles any more.
Banasa wrote:I wonder if this set would possibly open up for a set of Kore-eda's earlier films, specifically: Maborosi, After Life and Nobody Knows.

I'm not sure about Maborosi and After Life but I think Nobody Knows was released on DVD in the UK by ICA Films in 2005, so it would depend on whether those rights expired.
Matchbox Films repackaged their individual releases of After Life, Nobody Knows, Still Walking, and Air Doll in a boxset only a few years ago. It doesn't have any features as far as I know. I would think that they still have the rights. Maboroshi's status in both the US and UK seems to be something of a mystery, however.

Ribs

#10 Post by Ribs » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:02 pm

People at Blu-ray, never to be underestimated, are complaining about the price.

I've only seen After Life but I'm thrilled by the news of this set, as well as that we're now at ~five months in a row of one Academy box/month.

Calvin

#11 Post by Calvin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:29 pm

Milestone said they were going to do a restoration and Blu-Ray release of Maborosi (in the US) back in 2012, and I haven't heard anything since.

aewb

#12 Post by aewb » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:33 pm

Ribs wrote:People at Blu-ray, never to be underestimated, are complaining about the price.

I've only seen After Life but I'm thrilled by the news of this set, as well as that we're now at ~five months in a row of one Academy box/month.
Most people interested in this set will already own I Wish and Like Father, Like Son so paying £37.99 for 1 film and some extras is kind of expensive if you look at it that way.

triodelover

#13 Post by triodelover » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:50 pm

Most people interested in this set will already own I Wish and Like Father, Like Son so paying £37.99 for 1 film and some extras is kind of expensive if you look at it that way.
Particularly since After the Storm will also be released individually 2 Oct with the same extras specific to the film as the box set.

zedz

#14 Post by zedz » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:55 pm

I don't know why you'd omit Distance from that group. it's a really great film, came in the middle of that run and as far as I know has never had a US or UK home video release. I think Hana might be in the same boat.

rapta

#15 Post by rapta » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:43 pm

aewb wrote:
Ribs wrote:People at Blu-ray, never to be underestimated, are complaining about the price.

Basically the gist of my complaint about the price (on Blu-ray.com). I can understand how it doesn't look too bad if you don't already have I Wish and Like Father Like Son - or hadn't even heard of Koreeda until now - but from my own point of view it seems pricy.

That said, being a set limited to only 2000 will push the production costs up since they'll have to re-encode the two films, plus produce a booklet and hard slipbox. Oh, and pay Tony Rayns and anyone writing for the booklet, and whoever did the new artwork too. It looks like a beautiful set, I just wish I could go back in time and not buy the previous Arrow Films discs - had a similar problem when they announced The Hunt, but this is a tougher decision as they're putting a bit more effort into this one.

PS: as per the above, I'd be all over a Jia or Hui set though... ;)

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#16 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:43 pm

Hana got a very barebones US release, no idea whether it is still in print. Distance never got any release outside Asia.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#17 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:45 pm

It looks like After the Storm may get only a DVD release in the US...

yoshimori

#18 Post by yoshimori » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:39 pm

zedz wrote:I don't know why you'd omit Distance from that group.
Seconded. HIs best film, by far, chez moi.

artfilmfan

#19 Post by artfilmfan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:09 pm

Calvin wrote:Milestone said they were going to do a restoration and Blu-Ray release of Maborosi (in the US) back in 2012, and I haven't heard anything since.
I hope they will release it soon ... before we move on from Blu-ray to some other format. :wink:

Banasa

#20 Post by Banasa » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:22 pm

I don't know why you'd omit Distance from that group. it's a really great film
Whups! No intention on skipping Distance. I have not seen it but, it seems to have remained elusive. Would obviously welcome a release of it as well.

longstone

#21 Post by longstone » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:30 am

Hopefully if this set is succesful Arrow will pick up his latest film due for cinema release in Japan in the Autumn I think ?
" The Third Murder "
http://gaga.ne.jp/sandome/

It's great to finally be getting some decent extras , interviews etc. for my favourite current Japanese director.
The set would have been nicely rounded off if Arrow had access to "Still Walking" as "After The Storm " is a follow up of sorts according to some press from around the launch. I also read he shot "Our Little Sister" at the same time as "After The Storm" ?

Aunt Peg

#22 Post by Aunt Peg » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:40 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:It looks like After the Storm may get only a DVD release in the US...
No, After the Storm is getting a blu ray release in the U.S.:

https://www.amazon.com/After-Storm-Blu- ... rm+blu+ray" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll purchase the Arrow single blu ray disc of After the Storm as I already have Arrow's I Wish & Like Father, Like Son.

This sounds like a great package, though, for anyone who doesn't have them or is prepared to double-dip.

peopleonsunday

#23 Post by peopleonsunday » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:35 am

This looks like an excellent set, such a shame that Our Little Sister is with Curzon Artificial Eye though, as its inclusion here would have made this a definitive recent Kore-eda set, and better value for money.

As it is, I don't actually own any of these films, and have never seen I Wish, so I may take the plunge at the pre-order price, although slightly frustrating, knowing that the blu ray of After The Storm will certainly be down to £8 within the year. But this set is beautiful. The RRP is eyewatering though, I can't imagine anyone finding that value for money.

rapta

#24 Post by rapta » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:30 pm

peopleonsunday wrote:This looks like an excellent set, such a shame that Our Little Sister is with Curzon Artificial Eye though, as its inclusion here would have made this a definitive recent Kore-eda set, and better value for money.

As it is, I don't actually own any of these films, and have never seen I Wish, so I may take the plunge at the pre-order price, although slightly frustrating, knowing that the blu ray of After The Storm will certainly be down to £8 within the year. But this set is beautiful. The RRP is eyewatering though, I can't imagine anyone finding that value for money.
The main frustration I have is that I already own the Arrow Films releases of I Wish and Like Father Like Son (both for roughly £5 each, IIRC), and if recent releases of contemporary titles by Arrow are anything to go by, the standalone edition of After the Storm may only be £9.99 on release.

So do I just double-dip on two out of three titles to get the new extras and lovely artwork, or do I just get After the Storm on its own? A frustrating position for those of us already into Koreeda who had these titles already (I also have AE's Our Little Sister disc, which is pretty good and only set me back £6). The current price doesn't seem appealing so I might hold off and wait for a future sale, but then I'd have to wait to get After the Storm to avoid double-dipping on all three titles...

If you haven't got any of these, it would be a much easier decision to get this set if you know you like Koreeda. New encodes, some extras added, and a booklet too...couldn't ask for much more, really. The asking price is a bit bold but presumably that's to cover the creation of new extras/booklet content, commissioning of artwork, and new encodes.

Looks like Arrow Academy are going right ahead with 'upgrading' previous Arrow Films titles. Whilst The Hunt looks like a slight improvement, there doesn't seem to be much point in getting the new edition of Departures. I wonder what they'll do about Jia's A Touch of Sin or Hui's A Simple Life - I love both of those films and would consider double-dipping if they were to add worthwhile extras.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#25 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:45 pm

I doubt I would double dip for the Kore'eda set (unless the new encodes lturn out toook dramatically better on a 50 inch plasma) -- but anyone who doesn't have all (or most) of these already -- please go for it. Maybe if this sells well, we can hope for BluRays of the earlier films (and a release -- at long last -- of the documentary films).