Stormy Monday

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

Ribs

Stormy Monday

#1 Post by Ribs » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:22 am

In 1988, Mike Figgis (Internal Affairs, Leaving Las Vegas) made his feature directorial debut with Stormy Monday, a taut, noir-influenced gangster movie that drew on his key formative influences, including his youth in the Newcastle of the late ’50s and early ’60s, and the city’s vibrant jazz scene.

Sean Bean (Ronin) plays Brendan, a young loafer taken under the wing of jazz club owner Finney (Sting, Quadrophenia), who’s under pressure from American mobster Cosmo (Tommy Lee Jones, The Fugitive) to sell up in exchange for a cut of a local land development deal. Brendan just wants to earn an honest crust, but his burgeoning relationship with Cosmo’s ex-lover Kate (Melanie Griffith, Body Double) threatens to drag him into the middle of the impending showdown…

A romantic crime thriller with genuine heart, Stormy Monday features striking, rain-drenched cinematography by Roger Deakins (The Big Lebowski, No Country for Old Men) and a seductive jazz score provided by the director himself. Presented here for the first time in high definition in the UK, there has never been a better time to discover one of this iconic filmmaker’s most assured and uniquely haunting efforts.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
  • Original stereo audio (uncompressed on the Blu-ray Disc)
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing Audio commentary with Mike Figgis, moderated by critic Damon Wise
  • New video appreciation by critic Neil Young, and a “then and now” tour of the film’s Newcastle locations
  • Theatrical trailer
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Jacey

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Booklet featuring new writing by critic Mark Cunliffe

beamish13

Re: Stormy Monday

#2 Post by beamish13 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:09 am

Fantastic! I hope Liebestraum is on the horizon, too.

John Cope

#3 Post by John Cope » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:27 pm

A Blu of Liebestraum would be like a gift from God. But in the meantime I'll take this.

AfterTheRain

#4 Post by AfterTheRain » Tue May 02, 2017 1:21 pm

Just found out today from Arrow's Facebook page that a rights issue is holding up the release here in the U.S.; anyone who preordered the movie will get a refund while the issue is sorted out.

willoneill

#5 Post by willoneill » Thu May 04, 2017 2:22 pm

AfterTheRain wrote:Just found out today from Arrow's Facebook page that a rights issue is holding up the release here in the U.S.; anyone who preordered the movie will get a refund while the issue is sorted out.
I hadn't read this thread until just now, and only because a few minutes ago I saw the pre-order link on Amazon.ca at a good price so I put an order in. But the Amazon.com page doesn't exist, so maybe Amazon.ca is just behind on the news.

AfterTheRain

#6 Post by AfterTheRain » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:20 am

I just got a reply from Arrow on their Facebook page that the U.S. release of the Blu-ray is due next week, so it looks like the rights issue is taken care of.

nitin

#7 Post by nitin » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:08 am

I received mine today so they are definitely available!

Bumstead

#8 Post by Bumstead » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:32 am

Saw this on R1 DVD years ago. Didn't think it would ever get the deluxe treatment (thanks, Arrow!). I'm in it for Roger Deakins, whose camera movement style is apparent even in this early film.

willoneill

#9 Post by willoneill » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:10 am

willoneill wrote:
AfterTheRain wrote:Just found out today from Arrow's Facebook page that a rights issue is holding up the release here in the U.S.; anyone who preordered the movie will get a refund while the issue is sorted out.
I hadn't read this thread until just now, and only because a few minutes ago I saw the pre-order link on Amazon.ca at a good price so I put an order in. But the Amazon.com page doesn't exist, so maybe Amazon.ca is just behind on the news.
And my Amazon.ca just got cancelled because they weren't going to receive any copies.

neilist

#11 Post by neilist » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:23 am

Has anyone had any success with this replacement? I've emailed Arrow twice now at the product@ email address given in the link (the first time before Christmas, the second time mid-January) and have had no response to either.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#12 Post by tenia » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:57 am

With The Big Knife, replacement programs for Arrow releases are getting more and more of a hassle to go through, and to be fair, seem to be following a worrying trend : Stormy Monday gets a silent fix (with fixed discs being seemingly available since 2 months ago), The Big Knife replacement program is still direly expected, and Blind Woman's Curse was fixed but you have to pay to get the fixed disc through the new pressing (or get the US release which is fixed).

Between this and their CS also gone pretty much AWOL, it's really a time where you cross all your fingers that their new releases are flawless from the start, otherwise, you'll never see the end of it.

kekid

#13 Post by kekid » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:54 pm

tenia wrote:
With The Big Knife, replacement programs for Arrow releases are getting more and more of a hassle to go through, and to be fair, seem to be following a worrying trend : Stormy Monday gets a silent fix (with fixed discs being seemingly available since 2 months ago), The Big Knife replacement program is still direly expected, and Blind Woman's Curse was fixed but you have to pay to get the fixed disc through the new pressing (or get the US release which is fixed).

Between this and their CS also gone pretty much AWOL, it's really a time where you cross all your fingers that their new releases are flawless from the start, otherwise, you'll never see the end of it.
I think Arrow's handling of The Big Knife replacement is a disgrace. I bought it from Amazon.com, and verified that it has a missing section. I looked for a contact link on Arrow's US website, but could not find any. So I wrote to Arrow UK twice, asking them for a replacement. I indicated that I will accept the UK disc, if that is the only one available. These have remained unanswered. It is clear that Arrow has the corrected version. Why they would make it so difficult for their early buyers is beyond my comprehension.

zedz

#14 Post by zedz » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:11 pm

neilist wrote:
Has anyone had any success with this replacement? I've emailed Arrow twice now at the product@ email address given in the link (the first time before Christmas, the second time mid-January) and have had no response to either.
I just received the replacement discs in the mail, in a CD case, with no explanation. I didn't even know there was anything wrong with the disc(s) (I haven't watched the film yet), so I checked the film's thread to find out what was going on.

So: Arrow are sending out replacement discs, even to people completely unaware of any problem with the originals!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#15 Post by tenia » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:57 am

Meanwhile, I actively requested one and it doesn't look like I've been sent one. :lol:

Cronenfly

#16 Post by Cronenfly » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:20 pm

They told me to wait for the US branch to arrange for replacements (I’m an Indiegogo subscriber), then sent me replacements from the UK anyways with super fast shipping. Still no Big Knife, though.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#17 Post by Drucker » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:02 am

The wait is over.
***STORMY MONDAY REPLACEMENT DISC PROGRAMME***

The wait is over… Our replacement disc programme for STORMY MONDAY is now live! A huge thanks goes out to everyone who has been patiently waiting to obtain your replacement disc, we can only apologise for the delay in making this right for you – thanks for sticking with us!

For those who aren’t aware, our initial pressing of STORMY MONDAY exhibits slight echo across the audio tracks thought the film at various times., This was due to the music and effects track being incorrectly mixed into the stereo track and has now been rectified.

To obtain your replacement disc, please email the team at ssc_oe_uk@sonydadc.com with STORMY MONDAY in the subject header along with details of the best address to send your replacement disc to and your proof of purchase (this can be a screengrab of your order confirmation or a photo of your receipt). If you no longer have your proof of purchase, please write the date and your full name on the face of your disc and attach this photo to your email.

Please also take a moment to check out our handy FAQs for more information

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#18 Post by tenia » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:36 am

FOR GOD'S SAKE, FINALLY

Fun fact, despite all this wait :
"Q : I'm based in the US and my replacement Stormy Monday disc has UK certs on it, what gives !?
A : Sadly, there was a printing error which meant that all replacement discs for this title contain the UK artwork. Don't worry, your disc will play fine !"

:lol: