Killer Klowns from Outer Space

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

antnield

Killer Klowns from Outer Space

#1 Post by antnield » Thu May 22, 2014 5:02 am

IN SPACE NO ONE CAN EAT ICE CREAM…

Clowns can be terrifying at the best of times – especially when they’re Killer Klowns from Outer Space! When Mike and his girlfriend Debbie turn up at the local police station warning that a gang of homicidal alien clowns have arrived in the town of Crescent Grove, the cops are naturally sceptical. Talk of popcorn-firing guns and a spaceship shaped like a circus tent out in the woods hardly helps to convince them.

Before long, however, reports start coming in from anxious locals reporting similar run-ins with the colourfully-dressed, large shoe-wearing assailants. There can no longer be any doubt - the Killer Klowns from Outer Space are here and they’re out to turn the population into candy floss!

The sole directorial effort from the Chiodo brothers – the special effects team behind such hits as Critters and Team America: World PoliceKiller Klowns from Outer Space is the wacky 1988 horror comedy classic against which all other knowing B-movie efforts should be measured. So, in the words of the film’s opening theme song, hop aboard the “nightmare merry-go-round” and brace yourself for a cinematic experience unparalleled in this galaxy!

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
  • High definition digital transfer
  • Audio Commentary with the Chiodo Brothers
  • The Making of Killer Klowns – a 20-minute featurette comprising interviews and behind-the-scenes footage
  • Komposing Klowns – interview with composer John Massari
  • Visual Effects with Gene Warren Jr.
  • Kreating Klowns – with Charles Chiodo and creature fabricator Dwight Roberts
  • Chiodo Brothers' Earliest Films - a look back on the first Chiodo Brothers’ productions
  • 2 Deleted Scenes with Director’s Commentary
  • Killer Bloopers
  • Klown Auditions
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork to be revealed!
  • Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film

Minkin

Re: Killer Klowns from Outer Space

#2 Post by Minkin » Thu May 22, 2014 5:42 am

So, uhh. Only the booklet is added on over the US MGM bluray? Will anything else be added? I know the MGM was very stacked, but I would have thought something new could have been added to otherwise bring over buyers (I was all ready to list my blu for sale).

As much as I like the steelbook and would appreciate the booklet + having an actual menu on the disc, I guess I'll hold on to my MGM blu.

-Also, might Arrow be able to fix the Sync issues as reported on the MGM bluray (17mins-18mins)?

Minkin

#3 Post by Minkin » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:44 pm

It appears that my complaints have been heard. Some new bonus features have been added:
Bringing Life to These Things – A Tour of Chiodo Bros. Productions
Tales of Tobacco: A brand new interview with star Grant Cramer
Debbie's Big Night: A brand new interview with star Suzanne Snyder
Image Gallery
Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Starburst critic Joel Harley, illustrated with original archive stills and posters.
Any news about the sync issues being fixed or not?

MichaelB

#4 Post by MichaelB » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:08 pm

They've been fixed.

manicsounds

#5 Post by manicsounds » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:20 am

dwk

#6 Post by dwk » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:25 pm

According to you know who, Arrow is working on a 4K remaster of Killer Klowns from Outer Space

Banasa

#7 Post by Banasa » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:19 pm

Remastered new version announced for March 2018.

• Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original camera negative
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
• Newly remastered stereo 2.0 and 5.1 DTS-HD MA audio options
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Archive audio commentary with the Chiodo Brothers
• Let the Show Begin! Anatomy of a Killer Theme Song – an all-new interview with the original members of the American punk band, The Dickies
• The Chiodos Walk Among Us: Adventures in Super 8 Filmmaking - all-new documentary highlighting the making of the Chiodo Brothers childhood films, from the giant monster epics made in their basement to their experiments in college
• New HD transfers of the complete collection of the Chiodo Brothers 8mm and Super 8 films, including Land of Terror, Free Inside, Beast from the Egg, and more!
• Tales of Tobacco – an interview with star Grant Cramer
• Debbie’s Big Night – an interview with star Suzanne Snyder
• Bringing Life to These Things – a tour of Chiodo Bros. Productions
• The Making of Killer Klowns – archive production featurette
• Visual Effects with Gene Warren Jr. – archive interview with co-writer/producer Charles Chiodo and visual effects supervisor Gene Warren Jr.
• Kreating Klowns – archive interview with Charles Chiodo and creature fabricator Dwight Roberts
• Komposing Klowns – archive interview with composer John Massari
• Klown Auditions
• Deleted Scenes with filmmaker’s audio commentary
• Bloopers
• Image Galleries
• Original Theatrical Trailer
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Sara Deck

chatterjees

#8 Post by chatterjees » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:49 pm

Will there be a booklet? They usually exclude the booklet part for the second pressings. This is technically a new release, not a second pressing. So, why no mentioning of a booklet?

zedz

#9 Post by zedz » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:40 pm

This was a horror comedy that wasn't remotely scary or remotely funny. It has no reason to exist, but I couldn't outright hate it because it was made with a modicum of competence and there was at least some energy and ingenuity put into trying to come up with as many clown- and circus-based gimmicks as possible (e.g. popcorn monsters, balloon animal monsters).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#10 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:47 pm

You really have to see this when you’re a kid stumbling upon it on cable for it to have the right impact. I was similarly disappointed when I revisited it a few years ago:
domino harvey wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:32 pm

Killer Klowns From Outer Space (Stephen Chiodo 1988) I saw both this and My Boyfriend's Back when I was younger and now that I've revisited, oh how memory can warp reality: The Balaban film was a lot better than I remembered, while this, sadly, was pretty lousy. Both films are (coincidentally) similarly audacious in premise, but Killer Klowns From Outer Space rests on its laurels, providing a few goofy cut-away sight gags interspersed with tortuous acting and script. It reminded me of an extended Are You Afraid of the Dark? episode: unnerving and memorable if seen as a child, unwatchably amateurish if plowed (or re-plowed) through as an adult. Still, if you've got an eight year old niece that needs some good ol' fashioned life scarring entertainment, you could do worse.