Cinema Paradiso

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

Calvin

Cinema Paradiso

#1 Post by Calvin » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:24 pm

Arrow will be giving the Cinema Paradiso Director's Cut a theatrical and Blu-Ray release next year to celebrate the film's 25th anniversary.

Calvin

Re: Arrow Films

#2 Post by Calvin » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:49 am

I've just been told there won't be any Academy titles in Q1, unfortunately. The next Academy release will be the 25th anniversary edition of Cinema Paradiso.

antnield

Re: Arrow Films

#3 Post by antnield » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:53 pm

2-DISC SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES:
-Newly restored from the original camera negative and presented in two versions – the 124 minute Cannes Festival theatrical version and the 170 minute Director’s Cut
-Uncompressed original stereo 2.0 Audio and 5.1 options
-Optional English subtitles
-Giuseppe Tornatore’s A Dream of Sicily Documentary
-A Bear and a Mouse in Paradise Documentary
-The Kissing Sequence
-Original Trailer
-Booklet featuring new writing on the film
-More to be announced!

Bürgermeister

Re: Cinema Paradiso

#4 Post by Bürgermeister » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:32 pm

Have Arrow identified all of films in the kissing montage?
I found http://www.filmsite.org/cinemaparadisokisses.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it lists most but not all of them. It'd be nice to see a complete list of the films.
Last edited by Bürgermeister on Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David M.

#5 Post by David M. » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:48 pm

There's a bonus feature which indentifies all of them, I think!

chatterjees

#6 Post by chatterjees » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:47 pm

I just received my copy in the mail today, and its undoubtedly one of the greatest packaging of the year for me. Now, I just need to find out some time to watch the film and the extras. I am truly excited :D

manicsounds

#7 Post by manicsounds » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:23 am

Digital Fix reviews the remastered edition
Looks like Arrow was able to license the commentary track from the Weinstein/Miramax DVD featuring Tornatore

MichaelB

#8 Post by MichaelB » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:52 pm

This comment is potentially misleading:
The Digital Fix wrote:The cleaning up process has left some visual noise which I am assured is the original grain.
The 2K master was created on a state-of-the-art Arriscan, so there was no "noise" to begin with (Arriscans don't have the problems that afflicted older CRT-based scanners), and neither was any added at a later stage. What you're actually seeing is as precise a reproduction of the original film grain as it's possible to achieve in a compressed format like Blu-ray.

The reviewer also doesn't seem to understand that a scan from the original camera negative doesn't involve a "print" at any stage - why would it?

rohmerin

#9 Post by rohmerin » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:02 am

Bürgermeister wrote:filmsite.org/cinemaparadisokisses
They've got mistakes and I have identified in the summer some they didn't like Totò and Yvonne Sanson's kiss in L'imperatore di Capri or Jean Harlow in the garden with rain in Platinum Blonde (final kiss). Come on! Totò was really for Italian fans or "experts" like me into Italian cinema but nobody could identify a Frank Capra kiss !!! Amazing.

http://rohmerin.blogspot.com.es/2013/08 ... works.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: I watched once in Madrid cinemateque a documentary Tornatore made about Sicily; it was titles Lo schermo a tre punte, that means, Screen has got 3 corners / points (like Sicilia on the map). It was a 2 hours or so film with movie clips set or about Sicilia and it was terrific. Is THIS film the extra featured as " A Dream of Sicily " in the Arrow Blu Ray ?

MichaelB

#10 Post by MichaelB » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:16 am

rohmerin wrote:I watched once in Madrid cinemateque a documentary Tornatore made about Sicily; it was titles Lo schermo a tre punte, that means, Screen has got 3 corners / points (like Sicilia on the map). It was a 2 hours or so film with movie clips set or about Sicilia and it was terrific. Is THIS film the extra featured as " A Dream of Sicily " in the Arrow Blu Ray ?
No, it's Un Sogno Fatto in Sicilia - I've just checked. It's about Tornatore rather than by him - the director is Marc Evans (who went on to make British horror films My Little Eye and Trauma).

Lo schermo a tre punte was made five years earlier, and from what I gather is much more clip-based. Presumably the two-hour running time ruled it out of contention here - A Dream of Sicily is only 55 minutes.

rohmerin

#11 Post by rohmerin » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:24 am

Thank's MichaelB. What a pity. Lo schermo was really good and interesting.

What about the kisses sequence? Do they reveal the unknown film clips? I've seen the Vittorio de Sica's kiss in a 30's film but I can not remember what was.

I'll buy the Arrow Blu after Xmas and Reyes (6th January) with the MoC Fellini's. This weeks are crazy for post and deliveries anywhere.

MichaelB

#12 Post by MichaelB » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:39 am

rohmerin wrote:What about the kisses sequence? Do they reveal the unknown film clips? I've seen the Vittorio de Sica's kiss in a 30's film but I can not remember what was.
This is what's identified onscreen (in order of appearance, hence the repeated titles):
SpoilerShow
• Riso Amaro (Vittorio Gassman/Silvana Mangano)
• His Girl Friday (Cary Grant/Rosalind Russell)
• The Outlaw (Jane Russell)
• Riso Amaro (Silvana Mangano)
• The Gold Rush (Charlie Chaplin/Georgia Hale)
• The Adventures of Robin Hood (Errol Flynn/Olivia de Havilland)
• Riso Amaro (Vittorio Gassman/Silvana Mangano)
• The Son of the Sheik (Rudolph Valentino)
• It's a Wonderful Life (James Stewart/Donna Reed)
• La Terra Trema (Toto Mignone)
• Le Notte Bianche (Marcello Mastroianni/Maria Schell)
• La Cena delle Beffe (Clara Calamai)
• Les Bas-fonds (Jean Gabin)
• A Farewell to Arms (Helen Hayes/Gary Cooper)
• Senso (Alida Valli/Farley Granger)
• Les Bas-fonds (Jean Gabin)
• Il Cavaliere Misterioso (Vittorio Gassman)
• Senso (Alida Valli/Farley Granger)
• The Son of the Sheik (Rudolph Valentino)
• Bellissima (Anna Magnani)
• Grand Hotel (Greta Garbo/John Barrymore)
• Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (Spencer Tracy/Ingrid Bergman)
...plus a very blurred final shot that's unidentified.

manicsounds

#13 Post by manicsounds » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:21 am

manicsounds

#14 Post by manicsounds » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:26 am

And another rave review from blu-ray.com

I guess I will be upgrading the Weinstein DVD set. I can live without the soundtrack CD and the Food Channel documentary.

rohmerin

#15 Post by rohmerin » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:58 pm

I could not resist, I think It arrives tomorrow (26th) chez moi.
I remember I bought a special, beautiful and big VHS box (may be by Tartan) with the script in Manchester when I was a teenager in 1995 or 1996, year since I have not seen the 2 hours version because on that video box was only the long cut, cut that I have always preferred; but it's good to own the two.

PS: in the script (Faber on Faber) the kissing sequence film clips are not identified.

MichaelB

#16 Post by MichaelB » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:12 am

Cine Outsider:
How does it look? Absolutely bloody lovely. There are a few shots that fall a little short of the quality bar set elsewhere, but not by a lot and the best material here has been gorgeously restored and transferred. Unsurprisingly, perhaps, the real showcase scenes are those set outside in the Sicilian sun, where the fabulous contrast range, naturalistic colour and rich level of detail are intermittently a feast for the eyes. But the most arresting shots are not confined to the daylight hours – the night-time wides of the fishermen watching the outdoor screening from their boats are similarly impressive, with colours distinctly rendered even in the blue hue of moonlight, while shadow detail survives the crisply rendered blacks. Grain is visible, as you would expect from any carefully handled restoration, but most of the time you'll need to sit close to the screen to see it. It's worth noting that the restoration has been carried out on all of the footage, so there is no quality drop on the extra material in the director's cut. The framing is the original 1.66:1. An outstanding job.

EddieLarkin

#17 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:11 pm

I think there may be something wrong with the audio on this disc (or hopefully, just my copy!). Both cuts of the film are presented with 2.0 stereo and 5.1 surround options. The 2.0 stereo option on the director's cut disc is perfect, but as far as I can tell the same option on the theatrical cut disc has been encoded as a mono track. Is there anyone here with the discs and a surround sound set up that has a Pro-Logic feature? I would appreciate someone else doing a test.

If you run the 2.0 stereo option on the director's cut disc with pro logic enabled, and watch the opening credits, the music should come out of all 5 speakers at a similar level. Your room should be filled with the music. Try the same with the theatrical disc, and if it's like mine, you'll get nothing out of your 4 stereo speakers, and everything out of the centre. This may be the same as what happened with Criterion's Three Colors: White disc, where the stereo track ended up as a mono track on the disc.

I thought maybe the theatrical version was supposed to be mono, but the track is flagged as stereo on the disc, the back case states it is stereo, and as far as I know, the film was originally Dolby Stereo in cinemas.

Can anyone confirm theirs is the same?

MichaelB

#18 Post by MichaelB » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:31 pm

I'm playing the theatrical cut now, and the opening music is definitely emerging from all five speakers on both the 2.0 and 5.1 tracks.

EddieLarkin

#19 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:37 pm

Oh. Well that's a huge relief thanks, though now I'm confused as to how my copy has ended up faulty. There is a huge difference between the disc 2 2.0 track and the disc 1 2.0 track. Maybe I'm missing something...

MichaelB

#20 Post by MichaelB » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:54 pm

Because I have two Blu-ray players wired up to the same amplifier, I can also do a direct A-B comparison - but even when I play both discs side by side, each set to stereo 2.0, and flick back and forth between the two, it's clear that sounds are emerging from all five speakers.

The director's cut might have a slightly more aggressive mix in this respect, although it could just as easily be down to differences in the players' audio settings. But it's certainly not a "huge difference" at my end.

EddieLarkin

#21 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:58 pm

I figured I better double check but no, the director's cut 2.0 track is wonderful and I don't even need to move out of my seat to hear that it is coming from the surrounds. The theatrical on the other hand, I can literally press my ear against the surround speakers (and front stereo speakers) and there is nothing there.

Later I'll try running the track in Audacity. If it really is mono the two channels should be identical.

EddieLarkin

#22 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:54 pm

Sure enough, looking at both 2.0 tracks in Audacity reveals that the two channels on the theatrical are identical, whilst the two channels on the director's cut are different. Or simply looking at a volume meter, you can see that the levels are always the same on the theatrical, whilst they vary between the two channels on the director's cut i.e. one is mono, the other is stereo:

I guess it's time to contact Arrow. How does something like this happen though? If it doesn't affect all discs, how do only some end up with the fault? Presumably there's only been a single pressing?

David M.

#23 Post by David M. » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:44 pm

With digital optical discs, the copies are either all the same, or contain serious defects (discs that don't play or scramble up). I'm surprised how often I still run into that misconception actually.

How are you decoding the tracks to get them into Audacity for analysis?

EddieLarkin

#24 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:45 pm

Using VLC's "Convert/Save" feature to take the track out of the Matroska file, saving it as a .wav file. But like I say, the issue is plainly noticeable before any decoding or analysis.

I figured this would have to be a defect that affects all discs, but at the same time I wouldn't doubt Michael's authority on the issue. So, I'm going crazy?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#25 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:46 pm

Going?