The Stuff

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

Forrest Taft

The Stuff

#1 Post by Forrest Taft » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:03 pm

Are you eating it ...or is it eating you?

The Stuff is the new dessert taking supermarket shelves by storm. It’s delicious, low in calories and – better still – doesn’t stain the family carpet… What’s not to like?! Well, for a start it has a life of its own, and we’re not talking friendly live bacteria…

Young Jason seems to be the only one who doesn’t love The Stuff – in fact he won’t go anywhere near it, after having seen the pudding crawling around the fridge one night. What’s more, everyone who eats The Stuff has started acting really weird... Now, teaming up with wise-cracking industrial saboteur “Mo”, Jason must put a stop to The Stuff and the organisation behind it or face a gooey, gloopy demise.

Coming courtesy of horror auteur Larry Cohen (director of the It’s Alive series and scribe behind the Maniac Cop trilogy), The Stuff is a titillating treat for the taste-buds which blends elements of films such as Street Trash with the straight-up B-movie flavour of The Blob. So grab a spoon and dig on into The Stuff – the taste that delivers… much more than you bargained for!

CONTENTS
  • New High Definition restoration of the film from a brand new 2K scan of the original camera negative
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the film
  • Original uncompressed PCM 1.0 Mono audio
  • Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Can’t Get Enough of The Stuff: Making Larry Cohen’s Classic Creature Feature – Documentary featuring Larry Cohen, producer Paul Kurta, actress Andrea Marcovicci, Steve Neill (mechanical makeup effects) and Kim Newman
  • Introduction and trailer commentary by director and The Stuff fan Darren Bousman (Saw II, Saw III)
  • Original Trailer
  • Reversible sleeve with original and newly commissioned artwork by Gary Pullin

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Arrow Films

#2 Post by domino harvey » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:06 pm

Forrest Taft wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:03 pm
Drucker wrote:This lineup looks wonderful, and I'll definitely be picking up Sturges and The Killers, maybe even some of the horror stuff for my wife (can someone tell me which of those horror movies will be the goriest/silliest/most of spooky stuff?)
The Stuff is perhaps my favorite Larry Cohen. More funny than scary, mainly due to Michael Moriarty's standout performance. If you're looking for (occasionally) silly horror, you can't do better than this!
Moriarty's "Southern" perf is definitely the best part of the Stuff. So much so that I sat through a lesser Cohen effort like Q in hopes that he'd be as much fun there (he wasn't, at least not to me)

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3 Post by Drucker » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:09 pm

I hope Arrow takes it as a compliment when I say that I'm looking to start buying more of their releases for my wife who loves horror movie, but it's hard to tell just what kind of horror I'm getting with each release.

MichaelB

#4 Post by MichaelB » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:17 pm

domino harvey wrote:Moriarty's "Southern" perf is definitely the best part of the Stuff. So much so that I sat through a lesser Cohen effort like Q in hopes that he'd be as much fun there (he wasn't, at least not to me)
Apparently he was the actor Stephen King had in mind for Jack Torrance in The Shining, so he was never going to get on with the Kubrick film.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5 Post by domino harvey » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:34 pm

Funnily enough, Moriarty did eventually end up in a tangentially King related film with Cohen's Salem's Lot sequel

EddieLarkin

Re: The Stuff

#6 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:12 pm

DVDBeaver

That far exceeds any expectation I had for how this would look. The grain looks lovely. I somehow missed that this was a new OCN 2K scan. Did James White work on it?
Last edited by EddieLarkin on Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

#7 Post by MichaelB » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:16 pm

Yup. Here's the relevant bit in the booklet:
The Stuff has been exclusively restored by Arrow Video for this release. All work was overseen by James White at Deluxe Digital Cinema - EMEA, London.

The original 35mm negative was scanned in 2K resolution on a pin-registered Arriscan, and the film was graded using the Nucoda Film Master colour grading system. Restoration work was carried out using a combination of software tools and techniques. Thousands of instances of dirt, scratches and debris were carefully removed frame by frame, damaged frames were repaired, and density and stability issues were improved. Throughout the restoration process, care was taken to ensure that the film's original texture, details, grain structure and soundtrack remained unaffected by digital processing.
I did the QC on this title without knowing any of this upfront, and I can only echo your first sentence!

Arrow are really ramping up their original restoration programme in 2014 - we already know about this, the Borowczyk titles, White of the Eye and Withnail & I, but there are a lot more in prospect.

EddieLarkin

#8 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:25 pm

Arrow should be commended for putting such effort into a release like The Stuff! The really are one of the best labels around. I've never actually seen the film, but have wanted to ever since learning the source of this animated gif.

How nice to finally get to watch it in such a pristine presentation; my order is going in right now!

manicsounds

#9 Post by manicsounds » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:40 am

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#10 Post by swo17 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:22 pm

US release coming April 19

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#11 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:36 pm

New Arrow deal with Image (or was it Anchor Bay)?

dwk

#12 Post by dwk » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:10 pm

Lakeshore Entertainment (who films used to be at Anchor Bay, then Image)

thirtyframesasecond

#13 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:31 am

A lot of the Arrow films are on Amazon Prime now. This was great fun. Weirdly, I'd watched They Live the day before, and their messages are very similar, even if Cohen's film is much more schlocky.

beamish14

#15 Post by beamish14 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:43 am

Very interesting how the print came from the Academy. Cohen's original cut of God Told Me To with the unauthorized Bernard Herrmann music is there, too.

The print of Michael Cimino's Year of the Dragon that was supplied by the Academy for a retrospective shortly after his death was the pre-release version, too, which WB had no clue actually still existed. I heard a story some time ago about, I think, MGM or Park Circus loaning a print of the 1980 cult film The Apple, and that turned out to also be a different cut with material that wasn't on the DVD; sadly, they supposedly lost that copy shortly afterwards!