The Virgin Suicides (Sofia Coppola, 1999)

A film viewing and discussion club for Criterion Collection releases.
Mr Sausage
Not PETA approved

The Virgin Suicides (Sofia Coppola, 1999)

#1 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:58 am

DISCUSSION ENDS MONDAY, July 23rd.

Members have a two week period in which to discuss the film before it's moved to its dedicated thread in The Criterion Collection subforum. Please read the Rules and Procedures.

This thread is not spoiler free. This is a discussion thread; you should expect plot points of the individual films under discussion to be discussed openly. See: spoiler rules.

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

I encourage members to submit questions, either those designed to elicit discussion and point out interesting things to keep an eye on, or just something you want answered. This will be extremely helpful in getting discussion started. Starting is always the hardest part, all the more so if it's unguided. Questions can be submitted to me via PM.

knives

Re: The Virgin Suicides (Sofia Coppola, 1999)

#2 Post by knives » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:24 pm

Not the most constructive comment, but I was shocked on rewatching this recently how little Devito is in it. For some weird reason I thought he had Woods' role.

To be a little more constructive, alongside Marie Antoinette this strikes me as the best use of the enigma that Coppola has used as her key mode of characterization. Not even just with the girls, but even the boys with stuff like the flash forwards or the Wonder Years narration forcing questions on them that are outside what the narrative can say.