Twin Peaks

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Roger Ryan

Re: Twin Peaks

#1151 Post by Roger Ryan » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:28 pm

Mungo wrote:
Roger Ryan wrote:
Mungo wrote:Is there a way to fix the sync issues on the Entire Mystery set? Some places recommend changing a setting on your tv to make the sync issues largely go away; is this an actual fix for the sync problems?
I turned off the 24-frames per second output in the Blu-ray player settings (resulting in the image displaying at 1080/60p instead of 1080/24p) and it corrected the sync, although there is a subtle alteration of how the image is presented. For me, only the FWWM feature film, the deleted scenes from the film and the second episode of Season 2 have the sync problem.
If I were to leave my TV in that mode, would that create problems for other discs (like Criterion blus?)
It shouldn't create any problems when watching other Blu-rays, but the format is meant to replicate the look of film (hence, the 24 frames per second presentation); turning this function off on the player (resulting in the 1080/60p resolution) produces an image that loses a little bit of that film look. The difference between the two settings is subtle (you may not even notice it), but since it only takes a few seconds to turn the "24p" setting on or off, why not make the change only when needed?

By the way, the setting is changed on the player, not the TV.

cdobbs

#1152 Post by cdobbs » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:07 am

colinr0380 wrote:I have just received my copy of the Blu-ray set of Season 3/"A limited event series" and there is an interesting statement in tiny fine print on the back of the box (just above the BBFC logo on the UK version of the set) saying: "Some episodes may be edited from their original network versions". It sounds as if those who watched the show when it was broadcast might need to tell the rest of us what might have been changed!
I rewatched episode 14 last night and think I noticed a change:
SpoilerShow
the camera zooms in closer when Sarah removes her face to show the frog-bug’s proboscis more clearly.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1153 Post by swo17 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:40 am

Sounds like Lynch fine-tuning some things

Roger Ryan

#1154 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:55 pm

cdobbs wrote:
colinr0380 wrote:I have just received my copy of the Blu-ray set of Season 3/"A limited event series" and there is an interesting statement in tiny fine print on the back of the box (just above the BBFC logo on the UK version of the set) saying: "Some episodes may be edited from their original network versions". It sounds as if those who watched the show when it was broadcast might need to tell the rest of us what might have been changed!
I rewatched episode 14 last night and think I noticed a change:
SpoilerShow
the camera zooms in closer when Sarah removes her face to show the frog-bug’s proboscis more clearly.
Good catch. I just compared the shot as seen on Showtime "On Demand" with the new Blu-ray and the shot is, indeed, altered with a digital zoom in. I'm now curious if Lynch tweaked anything else.

Robin Davies

#1155 Post by Robin Davies » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:13 am

I don't have access to the broadcast versions any more but I seem to remember the opening sequence of episode 8 had slightly muted colour. This is not apparent on the Blu-ray. Does anyone else remember this?

grayskale

#1156 Post by grayskale » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:35 am

Finch wrote:The behind the scenes extras are wonderful for the most part but the faux-Werner Herzog narration is excruciating. Still what a treat to see Lynch at work, and I loved David Patrick Kelly performing an Irish song on his guitar for Lynch. Makes me wish they'd included that in the season proper.
The narration and add-ons are somewhat short fortunately.

A few more highlights for me:
- A crew member elicits a fit from Lynch for commenting a scene may be too long during the filming of Candie's scene dealing with an insect.
- David apparently would've liked more time at the Fireman's abode and would've dreamt up more material had he been been given more shooting days.
- Each Cooper iteration got a wrap announcement gathering - Evil Coops was the funniest.
- Aware of a documentarian on set, David is careful to whisper directions to Sherilyn Fenn during the filming of her scenes in the house, no clues to be spilled by accident about the nature of Audrey's situation even during filming I guess.

They brought back Julee Cruise's 'The World spins' but I wonder why 'Questions in a World of Blue' was dropped..

Roger Ryan

#1157 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:21 pm

At the same time, some of the behind-the-scenes footage does indicate Lynch's intentions. When MacLachlan, playing Agent Cooper as he returns to the Twin Peaks police station, asks how he should greet Andy, Lynch explains that no time has passed for the character (since entering the Black Lodge).

whaleallright

#1158 Post by whaleallright » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:02 am

There's a moment in one of the BTS docs when Lynch, seated at a table and ranting about Showtime's seeming refusal to grant him extra time to shoot at a particular location, complains that he has no time to "get dreamy"!

I was surprised, and almost a little alarmed, at how intimate the BTS footage was. Not only does the crew seem to have been present at (nearly?) every shoot, but they are often just feet or inches away from the actors and Lynch. Given that Lynch hasn't always been particularly amenable to people inquiring about his process, reluctant to let on how the sausage was made, it's interesting that he granted such access. The docs are very revealing, including of some of the constraints Lynch was under in being entirely responsible for shooting 18 hours of television in a few months. That said, I still can't figure out if the segments are in any particular order—do they represent the shooting schedule accurately, that is, in chronological order, or are they all jumbled up?

I almost feel bad for the filmmaker whose ponderous opening narration in German-accented English inevitably recalls Werner Herzog (who is himself consumed with self-parody lately). If he had a jolly Australian accent would we make the same connection?

Robin Davies

#1159 Post by Robin Davies » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:23 pm

whaleallright wrote:I was surprised, and almost a little alarmed, at how intimate the BTS footage was. Not only does the crew seem to have been present at (nearly?) every shoot, but they are often just feet or inches away from the actors and Lynch. Given that Lynch hasn't always been particularly amenable to people inquiring about his process, reluctant to let on how the sausage was made, it's interesting that he granted such access.
There's already quite a lot of footage of Lynch at work on Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive and particularly INLAND EMPIRE (in the documentaries called Lynch and Lynch 2), though the sheer amount of the stuff on this Twin Peaks set is very impressive.

oh yeah

#1160 Post by oh yeah » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:36 am

I don't recall much on-set footage from BV at all - maybe some from the DVD-era short doc Mysteries of Love or whatever it was named. Anywhere else?

JamesF

#1161 Post by JamesF » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:36 am

There's Peter Braatz's Super 8 on-set footage that he compiled into the short No Frank In Lumberton and the recent feature-length expansion Blue Velvet Revisited.

Roger Ryan

#1162 Post by Roger Ryan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:35 am

I think it's a canard that Lynch is secretive about his film-making process or has the same disdain for making behind-the-scenes/outtakes available that Woody Allen does, or Kubrick did. Apart from not wanting to "explain" his films (or reveal how the Eraserhead baby was created!), he has been very willing to allow the curtain to be pulled back to reveal the inner workings.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1163 Post by tenia » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:57 am

Yes, he seems more focused on letting the movies talk for themselves from an analytical point of view but doesn't seem vastly bothered by explaining more technical or production oriented stuff.

Robin Davies

#1164 Post by Robin Davies » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:38 pm

JamesF wrote:There's Peter Braatz's Super 8 on-set footage that he compiled into the short No Frank In Lumberton and the recent feature-length expansion Blue Velvet Revisited.
Yes that's the one I was thinking of. If only they would release it on disc...

djproject

#1165 Post by djproject » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:18 pm

Roger Ryan wrote:I think it's a canard that Lynch is secretive about his film-making process or has the same disdain for making behind-the-scenes/outtakes available that Woody Allen does, or Kubrick did. Apart from not wanting to "explain" his films (or reveal how the Eraserhead baby was created!), he has been very willing to allow the curtain to be pulled back to reveal the inner workings.
tenia wrote:Yes, he seems more focused on letting the movies talk for themselves from an analytical point of view but doesn't seem vastly bothered by explaining more technical or production oriented stuff.
That's not terribly surprising since revealing the making of something does not divulge what that something is. Furthermore, he has said - directly and indirectly (through his collaborators) - that it's more about the mood and feeling rather than making sense of something. Plus I have found in viewing his film there is an underlining yet unspoken rationale where the subconscious understands it clearly and yet defies rational explanations.

Big Ben

#1166 Post by Big Ben » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:47 pm

I worked with a guy (His name was Craig but we all called him Sherman and we worked on a commercial for industrial adhesive.) who did props on Lost Highway and also worked with Lynch on a commercial. He said that Lynch was weird but that he was pretty chill on the set. Other than usual frustrations of working he said the set was really great and that people were really loyal to Lynch. Some of his works may vary vastly in interpretation but the set itself and Lynch's working process to be quite open.

Robin Davies

#1167 Post by Robin Davies » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:12 am

It's interesting how emotionally involved and precise Lynch is with his direction. I've just been re-watching the bit where he's urging Ike the Spike to "SLAM that thing in there!"
It's good that the documentary is also honest enough to show the bits where Lynch gets really pissed off (as I assume all directors do). The documentaries about the making of INLAND EMPIRE also showed him getting very annoyed with his minions at times.

Red Screamer

#1168 Post by Red Screamer » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:51 pm

I was very skeptical at the beginning of Season 3, but I'm glad I kept watching, because I started to understand what Lynch & Frost were doing and the strangeness of the overall project, until the final hours when it all came together and became absolutely revelatory. Now I feel the need to rewatch it immediately. Some stray thoughts:

It's not a dream, like the rest of Lynch's work, but an alternate reality. Its dream logic is continually put at odds with explanation, with high-def digital photography, with slow, deliberate rhythms; documentary always seeping through (Frost vs. Lynch?). As Miriam Bale says, it's Kansas and Oz at the same time. And the series is also an alternate reality in the sense of the complete, obsessive immersion it asks of the viewer (the fan theories in this thread alone are quite the rabbit hole). The only non-Lynch predecessors that come to mind are Les Vampires and Out 1, all fantasy-documentary mystery serials, as in-tune with their times (and their futures) as The Return is to 2017.

MacLachlan's performance in Episode 18 is an astonishing tightrope walk, synthesizing and reimagining everything he has done before in Twin Peaks, knowing exactly how to play with its mythos and our expectations. Some of the most thoughtful and disturbing acting I've ever seen.
SpoilerShow
there are either more than 3 (4?) Coopers or "Richard" is an uneasy mix of all of them with the lines uncannily blurred.
"The characters are projected into our world, and we are projected into the show" —Stéphane Delorme in Cahiers du Cinéma

black&huge

#1169 Post by black&huge » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:40 pm

Superswede11 wrote:
MacLachlan's performance in Episode 18 is an astonishing tightrope walk, synthesizing and reimagining everything he has done before in Twin Peaks, knowing exactly how to play with its mythos and our expectations. Some of the most thoughtful and disturbing acting I've ever seen.
SpoilerShow
there are either more than 3 (4?) Coopers or "Richard" is an uneasy mix of all of them with the lines uncannily blurred.
It absolutely blows my mind how well acted and synthesized MacLachlan plays the Richard character. He even nails the dual/dueling personalities of the doppleganger and original coop while speaking in the same sentence.

FigrinDan
The Immortal Dead

#1170 Post by FigrinDan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:39 pm

From reading the "898 Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me" thread circa July 2017, a few forum members recommended viewing Twin Peaks in order of release: all of S1 & S2 before FWWM.
Now that S3 is complete and available, is this still the recommended viewing order? What about the Pilot (American vs European versions) or The Missing Pieces? Looking to get your opinions on the ultimate Twin Peaks viewing experience.
The DIGG article, The Best Way To Watch All Of 'Twin Peaks,' Now That It's Over, recommends the following order (including reading material):
  • The Pilot (1990)
  • Episodes 1-7 (1990)
  • Read "The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer" by Jennifer Lynch (1990)
  • Episodes 8-27 (1990-91)
  • Read "The Autobiography of F.B.I. Special Agent Dale Cooper" by Scott Frost (1991)
  • Episodes 28-29 (1991)
  • Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992)
  • Twin Peaks: The Missing Pieces (2014)
  • Read "The Secret History of Twin Peaks" by Mark Frost (2016)
  • Twin Peaks: The Return (a.k.a. Part 1-18) (2017)

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1171 Post by tenia » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:56 am

And then read The Final Dossier, I guess (though I dont know if it's any good).

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1172 Post by swo17 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:11 am

Watch the American pilot initially. Don't watch the European pilot until after finishing the series. Otherwise watch everything in the order that it was released.

Sloper

#1173 Post by Sloper » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:09 am

The narrative in the early episodes certainly makes more sense if you watch the American pilot first, but you will then miss out on one of the best and scariest moments in the whole show:
SpoilerShow
when Sarah Palmer re-plays her memory of looking across Laura's bedroom. The close-up of Bob hiding behind the bed that we see in later episodes just doesn't have anything like the same sense of everyday menace.
When I first watched the show as a teenager, I only saw the European pilot. Although this made for a few continuity problems I didn't have any trouble following the plot. It's a confusing show anyway, and the way those final 20 or so minutes of the European version are incorporated into the next few episodes is kind of disorienting - I'd say it might actually be easier to follow what's going on if you know that those dream-vignettes are made up from recycled footage. But that might just be me - go for the American pilot if you'd like some narrative coherence to cling to while you're getting into the series!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1174 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:38 am

tenia wrote:And then read The Final Dossier, I guess (though I dont know if it's any good).
I asked the biggest Twin Peaks fanatic I know how this was, and he replied with a pretty thudding "eh." Was glad that Lynch throws Frost the bone of getting to do these books as what is likely a concession for the sake of their collaboration but feels they're pretty poor.

nowhereisaplace

#1175 Post by nowhereisaplace » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:04 pm

Sloper wrote:]When I first watched the show as a teenager, I only saw the European pilot. Although this made for a few continuity problems I didn't have any trouble following the plot. It's a confusing show anyway, and the way those final 20 or so minutes of the European version are incorporated into the next few episodes is kind of disorienting - I'd say it might actually be easier to follow what's going on if you know that those dream-vignettes are made up from recycled footage. But that might just be me - go for the American pilot if you'd like some narrative coherence to cling to while you're getting into the series!
I watched the show this way as well, on VHS. Back then, it was kind of hard to dig up much info on things like viewing order. I actually thought there was only 1 season and jumped from the finale of Season 1 to Fire Walk With Me (my video store didn't have Season 2 on tape and I just thought it didn't exist) - talk about disorienting.

Probably because of that, I have a huge love of that European version - if you think about it, it is the perfect Twin Peaks feature if one doesn't want to dedicate all those hours to the project. It has a strong opening and narrative hook and in the end
SpoilerShow
you find Bob as the killer and learn about the relationship with MIKE, the one armed man.
They even discuss living above the Convenience Store, which of course becomes a huge part of the latest season. If that wasn't enough, that film ends 25 years later - with an aging Cooper learning secrets from Laura Palmer in the red room. I feel like if anyone doesn't feel like putting in the time, that pilot is pretty good at giving you the gist of what it is all about.