Twin Peaks

Discuss TV shows old and new.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Twin Peaks

#1251 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:06 pm

Especially because it means that when and if Lynch ever gets around to restoring the rest, there'll be another release.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1252 Post by tenia » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:13 pm

IIRC, the show was restored in 4K for its 2014 BD release. I'm surprised the pilot would be redone completely, maybe it's only a new HDR pass.

Finch

#1253 Post by Finch » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:41 pm

If the additional BTS footage exclusive to this set is narrated in the same bullshit style as what we got on the Season 3 set, I'll find it even easier to pass on this one. The fact that they are not doing the entire three seasons and FWWM in UHD leads me to think this will come down the line if UHD sales pick up. I'm done with buying the same things over and over again. Short of an individual Season 4 set or a bundle of all three/four seasons + FWWM in UHD, the season 3 set is my last purchase of this show.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1254 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:11 pm

I'm with you, Finch. That being said, if anyone (without the level of OCD I have re: breaking up box sets) plans to buy this and doesn't plan on doing anything with the UHD disc, reach out to me and I'll pay a nice chunk of change for it. Having that episode from The Return in that resolution is worth it to me.

Finch

#1255 Post by Finch » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:17 pm

Of all the new features, I'd only be interested in the new Kyle/Sheryl interview (no offense to Kimmy and Harry but I find Andy and Lucy annoying) but $139 just for that and more BTS footage isn't worth it.

I'd love to have Part 18 in UHD as well. It just about eclipses Part 8 as my favourite episode of the season.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1256 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:57 pm

I still can't really believe that Lynch made that thing. 18 hours. It's just an astonishing, towering achievement.
Cde. wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:12 am
oh yeah wrote:Otherwise I risk raising my blood pressure dangerously high by thinking about what kind of perverse, self-destructive impulse could lead anyone, let alone Lynch and Frost, to conceive of and film the whole BOB-ball/Green Glove garbage. Really a stain on the dignity of Lynch's original Peaks episodes and FWWM, if you ask me. To jokingly, sniggeringly, like a schoolboy playing jokes, dispatch the same force which, via Leland, molested Laura Palmer before killing her and Teresa Banks and Madeleine Ferguson... in a manner like that? A scene like that? What a fucking joke. I get it's the intentionally absurd pyrotechnics before the "real" Lynchian finish, but that doesn't excuse the fact that they're toying with very serious matters, with a character as gravely serious as BOB.
I was okay with it because I thought the overlay of Cooper over the resolution of that scene seemed like a man reflecting on how absurdly unrealistic that kind of resolution to the question of evil was. It was the reflection of a man watching TV, laid over a parody of a TV finale, and finding it wanting. It played into the larger criticism at play of the desire to return to Twin Peaks and resolve all the mysteries.
I understand why it's frustrating for some.
Going through this thread and reading old posts on The Return - just wanted to highlight this post as a particularly excellent one.

Zot!

#1257 Post by Zot! » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:39 am

So then can someone confirm if I currently own nothing the Z to A set would be definitive currently? Seems like they added FWWM back in, after its renoval from the last compilation. Agreed that the meager 4k contents seem obnoxiously like a teaser for the next set.

Roger Ryan

#1258 Post by Roger Ryan » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:07 am

Zot! wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:39 am
So then can someone confirm if I currently own nothing the Z to A set would be definitive currently? Seems like they added FWWM back in, after its renoval from the last compilation. Agreed that the meager 4k contents seem obnoxiously like a teaser for the next set.
Yes, "Z To A" would be the most definitive since it includes everything from the "Entire Mystery" set (which is the first two seasons, from the early 90s, and FWWM) plus everything from "The Return" box set (the third season from 2017). It sounds like the behind-the-scenes stuff for the 2017 mini-series has been re-edited (with additional content) to correspond to each of the eighteen episodes, which may be a better way to organize that material than how it was presented on "The Return" box.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1259 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:49 am

I'd be willing to bet that the disc for the film will just be the Criterion disc presented straight-up, if it's not the disc from the Entire Mystery box. Perhaps one of the reasons it's limited to 25,000 is because that's what Janus agreed to as a number of discs to license to be part of the box?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1260 Post by tenia » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:20 am

25 000 look like a lot, but maybe that's actually what they expect to sell and is limited to that much as an incentive for collector FOMO.

Adam X

#1261 Post by Adam X » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:46 am

That's the limitation number for it's release worldwide, though, is it not?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1262 Post by tenia » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:02 pm

I think it is but it's just my hunch.

Finch

#1263 Post by Finch » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:57 pm

Hollywood Horror Museum tweeted about two days ago:

Someone we know who is "in the know" just let something Very Interesting slip about the future of TWIN PEAKS

If it's true, we'll be squealing and giddy in 2020!

Hollywood Horror Museum 🧛 @horrormuseum

All we can say is, the people in charge are preparing for something big in 2020. Until the people who have a right to say more do, we have to stay silent.

What makes the tweet interesting is that Jennifer Lynch is on the board of HHM.

It could be that Mssrs Lynch & Frost have written something already or are close to completing writing, either a two hour film or a full fourth season, or something else, like the Between Two Worlds piece featured on the Entire Mystery Boxset. While it's theoretically possible that they could have shot a feature film already, El Camino-style, I think that unlikely, at least not with Kyle MacLachlan who's surely been too busy to squeeze that in. Sheryl Lee on the other hand could have done something. I would actually welcome another film or a fourth season with her taking center stage.

Finch

#1264 Post by Finch » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:04 pm

Finch

#1265 Post by Finch » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:11 pm

Te Salish Lodge Dining Room was closed for two days 9/18-9/20. 9/18 was when the King County Tweet went out by Lynch. 9/20 was when the Salish lodge posted about feeling the Twin Peaks vibes. I think it's going to be some sort of anniversary short along the lines of the Between Two World feature on the Entire Mystery set.

Cde.

#1266 Post by Cde. » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:25 am

My initial response to this rumour was of cautious scepticism. I'll always be up for more from Lynch, but season 3 reached such a perfect end point - something as mysterious and terrifying as the season 2 cliffhanger, but with a conclusive sense of finality in how it brought the show full circle. Is it worth going back to this world if they can't top that?

But after some thinking, I'm going to say, let Twin Peaks go on. Perhaps season 3 was never intended to be the end (just 'an ending', in the words of the Log Lady). Lynch has long wanted an endlessly mysterious soap opera to call his own (nearly getting to give the format another spin with Mulholland Drive), so if the interest is there for more Twin Peaks, I can't blame him for taking the opportunity. Maybe Lynch is content for his final film project to be committing himself to this world, on his own terms. I'm excited at the formal and narrative possibilities. This is new ground - no TV show runner in history has had the opportunity to experiment on this scale.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1267 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:45 am

"Always being up for more Lynch" and "trusting one of cinema's greatest minds to do what's right" are two very different things. Even if The Return ended with a reveal of the meaning of life, I'd still head into this project optimistic that Lynch knows what he's doing, and more importantly, why he's doing.

Finch

#1268 Post by Finch » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:12 pm

My money is on a feature film instead of a full season but I'll take either so long as the end of another Twin Peaks installment matches the impact of Part 18's ending. I love that episode so much (even over Part 8).

ford

#1269 Post by ford » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:52 pm

Finch wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:12 pm
My money is on a feature film instead of a full season but I'll take either so long as the end of another Twin Peaks installment matches the impact of Part 18's ending. I love that episode so much (even over Part 8).
Strongly agreed. I’d put Part 18 up there with Mulholland Drive.

wattsup32

#1270 Post by wattsup32 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:58 pm

If I am buying the set coming out in December, is there any reason I should also buy the Criterion FWWM?

hearthesilence

#1271 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:34 pm

wattsup32 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:58 pm
If I am buying the set coming out in December, is there any reason I should also buy the Criterion FWWM?
Doubtful. I bought the previous "complete" set and was urged not to bother with the Criterion disc.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1272 Post by tenia » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:41 am

Except if you're a completist and have money to waste solely for extra content, you can easily skip it.
It was all the truer with the previous set, since it could be bought in sale, making the price / content ratio even less in favor of getting the Criterion. It was worse in Europe though : you could get the Complete set for 35€ while FWWM alone was 20€ (or maybe even 25€) (and the French FWWM had less extras than the Criterion).

Finch

#1273 Post by Finch » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:11 pm

Hopefully someone will upload at least bits of the Kyle and Sheryl interview from the new Z-A set to Youtube or Vimeo. It does sound pretty substantial at 90 minutes.

AquaNarc

#1274 Post by AquaNarc » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:37 pm

Bit of a random query but:

I was recently looking again at Cahier du Cinema's Top 10 films of the 1990s list, and I noticed that "Twin Peaks (David Lynch)" is one of them. I always assumed this was referring to Fire Walk With Me, but everywhere I look online it specifically says just "Twin Peaks". Is it possible they were referring to the Pilot, which was released as a film in Europe? Does anyone remember reading the list/issue when it actually came out?

whaleallright

#1275 Post by whaleallright » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:50 pm

Was the pilot (with a different ending) released theatrically in France or just as a TV movie?

In other "news":
https://twitter.com/TwinPeaksArchve/sta ... 3436472321