It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Discuss TV shows old and new.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

#76 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:57 pm

Oh my God, please let that be for real and not a cruel joke played on us all by the Amazonians

EDIT: I don't think it's real. No other retailer has it up, including Fox themselves

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#77 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:56 am

Amazon exclusive?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#78 Post by domino harvey » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:02 pm

Not in stock because it doesn't exist

On the plus side, the DVD set is 63% off right now. All fans who've drifted away from the show would be well advised to pick this up and marvel at how effectively the series came back strong and delivered one of their best seasons

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#81 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:43 am

I've blown through half of Season 9 on Netflix and am totally amazed, because it is indeed every bit as good as the show ever was (particularly "The Gang Broke Dee" and the fantastic "The Gang Desperately Tries to Win an Award" - Charlie's song and later... reimagining of it had me loudly chuckling all by myself like an idiot). It seems that the show has aired long enough to have gone through that 'all eyes are on us, let's fill the show with in-jokes and cameos!' self-awareness period that has crumbled shows like The Office (and continues to feast on the corpse of The Simpsons) and come out on the other side of it mostly unscathed.

Might have to use my The X-Files re-watch strategy and go by IMDB ratings to figure out which episodes from the past few shaky seasons to catch up on and which can safely be skipped. I'm back on board.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#82 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:30 pm

This season's unfortunately not been quite up to snuff so far (It didn't help that the season premiere with the Wade Boggs record-breaking was completely laugh-free despite its somewhat high concept) but last nite's Birdman parody was spot-on and full of high energy and great gags and also gave Charlie Day one of his best episodes yet

Feiereisel

#83 Post by Feiereisel » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:54 pm

domino harvey wrote:This season's unfortunately not been quite up to snuff so far (It didn't help that the season premiere with the Wade Boggs record-breaking was completely laugh-free despite its somewhat high concept) but last nite's Birdman parody was spot-on and full of high energy and great gags and also gave Charlie Day one of his best episodes yet
Wholeheartedly agree--the way the gags built over the course of the episode (Frank's painting and the stool, specifically) and the technical proficiency of it absolutely floored me.

The Narrator Returns

#84 Post by The Narrator Returns » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:23 pm

domino harvey wrote:This season's unfortunately not been quite up to snuff so far (It didn't help that the season premiere with the Wade Boggs record-breaking was completely laugh-free despite its somewhat high concept) but last nite's Birdman parody was spot-on and full of high energy and great gags and also gave Charlie Day one of his best episodes yet
Believe it or not, the Birdman parody was completely unintentional, according to the director.

Cold Bishop

#85 Post by Cold Bishop » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:12 pm

domino harvey wrote:(It didn't help that the season premiere with the Wade Boggs record-breaking was completely laugh-free despite its somewhat high concept)
i dug the Fargo reference and Frank's collapse, but I feel like the show typically starts with weak episodes.

The Narrator Returns

#86 Post by The Narrator Returns » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:16 pm

Cold Bishop wrote:
domino harvey wrote:(It didn't help that the season premiere with the Wade Boggs record-breaking was completely laugh-free despite its somewhat high concept)
i dug the Fargo reference and Frank's collapse, but I feel like the show typically starts with weak episodes.
I thought the finale with Charlie needing subtitles propped up an episode which was otherwise just okay.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#87 Post by domino harvey » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:09 pm

Another solid season on the whole. Not as good as last season, but still in the higher tiers, and pretty consistent. "Frank's Retirement" was easily my favorite, probably the most laugh out loud funny ep in a while, with everyone having some amazing physical comedy runners playing with and against each other (the best being Mac's perfectly timed blood oaths and duplicity complications). I'm not sure why it wasn't the finale, it's a perfect summation of the Gang at their worst (ie their best)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#89 Post by domino harvey » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:33 am

Just finished season eleven and it's another strong and mostly consistent collection of episodes. The show has crawled fully up its own ass at this point, and isn't even trying to be user friendly for new viewers, so your enjoyment will depend on how much of previous episodes you can recall-- one of the great gags of an early episode is that Frank gets amnesia and thinks it's 2006 so Denis and Dee reenact all of the events of the first couple episodes of the second season in order to swindle him out of money. And the craziest, most exhausting episode of the season is the courtroom bottle episode (with presiding judge Reginald Vel Johnson!) where the Gang faces down several of the colorful characters from the past while pushing past What's Up, Doc?-level screwball energy as it winds up the pitch (and the prolonged sight gag involving a certain part of Uncle Jack's anatomy is one of the strangest and funniest things the show has ever done).

This season's most prominent gimmick episode, the Enter the Void ep from Frank's perspective, is the lowpoint, but the other gimmick episode where they recreate Ski School while directly addressing the abominable sexual politics of 80s sex comedies was surprisingly on-point. That said, this season still really pushes itself on what a show in 2016 can get away with in the current politically correct climate, and the amount of jokes hinging on topically taboo topics like rape and racism are the best kind of button-pushing audaciousness that really no other contemporary comedy is even attempting to maneuver right now.

And, best of all, the season gave us an all-time great episode with "Charlie Catches a Leprechaun," which aligns all of the stars on everything the show does best into one gloriously tasteless victory lap. So, the show is remarkably on the whole still about as good as it's ever been. Bring on season twelve!

Roscoe

#90 Post by Roscoe » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:39 pm

I'm enjoying the show pretty much as much as ever, especially the exploration of Dennis' darker side. That ugly scene where he comes on to that young girl was one of the most disquieting things I've seen in a long time. And the Dennis & Mac In The Suburbs episode was real delight, culminating in that grand tantrum where Dennis delivers a great scream of rage like O'Toole in THE RULING CLASS.

Petty Bourgeoisie

#91 Post by Petty Bourgeoisie » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:04 pm

domino harvey wrote:, but the other gimmick episode where they recreate Ski School while directly addressing the abominable sexual politics of 80s sex comedies was surprisingly on-point.
I loved Charlies reaction to the Porkies shower recreation. "Nah Man, I don't think you can do that. You'll get in serious trouble. That's a felony where I come from". My favorite episode of the season.

carmilla mircalla

#92 Post by carmilla mircalla » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:01 pm

Did anyone happen to catch that the McPoyle patriarch in the court episode was played by Guillermo Del Toro?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#93 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:33 pm

Renewed for two more seasons-- if it lasts one more season beyond that, it will be the longest running live action comedy series in history

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#95 Post by domino harvey » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:56 pm

Their Best Of and Worst Of lists aren't helping their case, considering how much better the "Worst" list is than the "Best"

Professor Wagstaff

#96 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:37 pm

Just looking at Sunny's IMDb page, their series has almost entirely been directed by a handful of directors. Matt Shakman, for instance, is credited with directing every episode of season 7. It seems like the series has a trusted crew that can work well with them. Is that a problem?

Also, am I missing something in the way the data is broken down? The list includes Banshee and The Strain as 0% offenders but the former had episodes helmed by the Iranian born director Babak Najafi and the latter used the Mexican born director/co-creator Guillermo del Toro and female director Charlotte Sieling.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#97 Post by swo17 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:27 pm

I for one am appalled to learn that this show has apparently been politically incorrect all these years.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#98 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:57 pm

The entire cast were at LA Pride today:

The Narrator Returns

#99 Post by The Narrator Returns » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:04 pm

This is wonderful, but Glenn's t-shirt is kind of terrifying knowing what his character appears to be capable of.